Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Great Black Wasp

Great Black Wasp

Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:29 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Black Wasp

Originally Posted by jandro
I remember those being quite common while growing up in Ontario. They look pretty scary but I never got stung or bit by one.
Me neither. They're just huge.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:32 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I remember those being quite common while growing up in Ontario. They look pretty scary but I never got stung or bit by one.
Seeing as you mention it - is there a reason why it's common to say you was "bitten" by a bee or a wasp here? I've heard loads of people say it.... must be just the way it's phrased, because I can't imagine a wasp trying to bite you when it can give you a damn good sting instead
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
They just lurve you... Ants and another thing that bite me

I'm so glad those horseflies don't bother me, they dive bomb my OH...omg, they take lumps out of him.

All this talk of bugs isn't helping me with my move over....I hope you lot know that!!
Originally Posted by brummi
That made me smile.. I could have written the same thing about myself! I'm allergic to Mosquitoe bites and have been on Penicillin for that. Roll on Winter!

I use this...it's keeps mozzies, horse/deer flies, wasps and most other bugs away from me. I've recommended it before and some have bought it cheaper from Amazon.

http://www.lentek.com/bite-shields.html

I don't know whether it's available in Canada yet but there is also something similar sold in shops in the US.

http://www.offprotects.com/clip-on-mosquito-repellent/

I find these much better than creams, sprays etc. because if I miss one little patch the bugs get me there. Plus most of the creams and sprays melt plastic...so I don't want them on my skin.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Seeing as you mention it - is there a reason why it's common to say you was "bitten" by a bee or a wasp here? I've heard loads of people say it.... must be just the way it's phrased, because I can't imagine a wasp trying to bite you when it can give you a damn good sting instead
My husband has been bitten by a bee. It was when he was a teen. It landed on his leg and he panicked and tried to swat it off with an empty plastic drink bottle he was carrying. Unfortunately it didn't swat it away - just thunked the (now angry) bee and instead of stinging him he said it clearly bit a small chunk out of his leg and flew off Here's an interesting pic (warning - don't look if bug-phobic!!!) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/randy-peralta/3864997795/
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:49 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
My husband has been bitten by a bee. It was when he was a teen. It landed on his leg and he panicked and tried to swat it off with an empty plastic drink bottle he was carrying. Unfortunately it didn't swat it away - just thunked the (now angry) bee and instead of stinging him he said it clearly bit a small chunk out of his leg and flew off Here's an interesting pic (warning - don't look if bug-phobic!!!) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/randy-peralta/3864997795/

Makes more sense with a bee since they die if they sting - shows that they must have awareness of that fact too...

Also, the terms bee and wasp seem to be interchangeable here - heard many people refer to "bees" when they were actually meaning wasps...
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Makes more sense with a bee since they die if they sting - shows that they must have awareness of that fact too...
Or I guess it could have been a drone...(only female bees have stingers!)
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
Also, the terms bee and wasp seem to be interchangeable here - heard many people refer to "bees" when they were actually meaning wasps...
Certainly not interchangeable anywhere I've been out here in the west.

People definitely know the difference.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I use this...it's keeps mozzies, horse/deer flies, wasps and most other bugs away from me. I've recommended it before and some have bought it cheaper from Amazon.

http://www.lentek.com/bite-shields.html

I don't know whether it's available in Canada yet but there is also something similar sold in shops in the US.

http://www.offprotects.com/clip-on-mosquito-repellent/

I find these much better than creams, sprays etc. because if I miss one little patch the bugs get me there. Plus most of the creams and sprays melt plastic...so I don't want them on my skin.
You can get the clip on thingy here. You can also get a gadget you can set up on the deck that covers a fairly wide radius. PLus lanterns and suchlike. They've been effective for us this year
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Certainly not interchangeable anywhere I've been out here in the west.

People definitely know the difference.
Definitely interchangeable in Ontario. You rarely hear of a bee unless they say "honey bee".

It really annoys me.....
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Definitely interchangeable in Ontario. You rarely hear of a bee unless they say "honey bee".

It really annoys me.....
Where I live most are referred to as bees and yes I find it very annoying. If they sting you, fly away and there is no stinger in you're skin...it's not a bee.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

It really annoys me.....
You must be meeting the illiterate 50% of the population.

Oh sorry that was another thread.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

I have wasp nest right at the front of my house. It's in the ground at the root of tree. It is like Piccadilly circus outside. I away use the back door...I found out a few days ago when I was mowing the lawn....

They are not the worst. The worst are black flies, lucky for me they are up north.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:07 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

It really annoys me.....
Glad it's not just me then.... A few weeks ago next door said they kept finding "bees" in the basement, the wife said, "you mean wasps?"..... "no, bees". I guess they could have had a bees nest, but seeing as I've probably only seen half a dozen of what I would call bees since being here, I find it unlikely....

I've also heard my landlord referring to them as bees and numerous people out and about (or should that be oot and aboot )
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:23 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G77
Apparently if you have a cut or a sore a wasp might try to bite off a piece of flesh. Otherwise they don't bite undamaged skin.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G77
Glad it's not just me then.... A few weeks ago next door said they kept finding "bees" in the basement, the wife said, "you mean wasps?"..... "no, bees". I guess they could have had a bees nest, but seeing as I've probably only seen half a dozen of what I would call bees since being here, I find it unlikely....

I've also heard my landlord referring to them as bees and numerous people out and about (or should that be oot and aboot )
We tend to see solitary bees in Alberta - never seen a UK style hive yet.

But wasps? Oh boy ... under the rear deck, under the front steps, under the nook ... they get everywhere. But that's the result of living in wooden houses.

If you're really unlucky, the wasps will swarm sometime late summer into your basement ... trying to kill a swarm of them single handed with a can of spray is great fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.