Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

good news re my post yesterday

good news re my post yesterday

Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: good news re my post yesterday

Originally Posted by iaink
Those who find what they are looking dont have the same drive to report it here.
I think that's a very questionable position. I think it as likely that people who didn't find what they were looking for may feel that they have failed and not want to recount their stories. Whether or not people post mostly likely depends on the nature of their work, if you have access to a computer and periods of inactivity you're likely to post, if you're rushed off your feet or working in a field you're not likely to post.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken about access, but that in itself does not result in a bias either way for positive / negative feelings about the move.

Cliches, as any psychologist will tell you, often have some truth behind them in order for them to reach that exalted level of ubiquity.

Funny that "Misery Loves Company" seems to have no similarly pithy equivalent for those happy with their lot in life.....

Last edited by iaink; Sep 5th 2008 at 4:20 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:18 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously not you. Not every post is directed at you.
Misery loves company is my point...those with negative experiences seem more likely to feel the need to warn others. Those who find what they are looking dont have the same drive to report it here.
But just as valid is the point that false optimism too enjoys company……those that dream want others to agree

so many on here spend time trashing the UK to make the dream still look real

This place needs balance
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Cliches, as any psychologist will tell you, often have some truth behind them in order for them to reach that exalted level of ubiquity.

Funny that "Misery Loves Company" seems to have no similarly pithy equivalent for those happy with their lot in life.....
What the hell has happened to you? There seems to be some anger or bitterness in there that wasn't there a while ago.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you unhappy Iain? Are you troubled? If not I fail to see why you want to depict the other posters here as being miserable. Dukie's miserable, the rest of the posters seem jolly enough.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
But just as valid is the point that false optimism too enjoys company……those that dream want others to agree

so many on here spend time trashing the UK to make the dream still look real

This place needs balance
The false optimism is largely from the Grass is greener brigade who havent yet experienced life here, and yes, it does require balance...but that blade has two edges, there has to be a balance between the positive and the negative sides of life "in the colonies" posted by those who have actualy experienced it, and that is what seems to be in short supply.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Souvenir
What the hell has happened to you? There seems to be some anger or bitterness in there that wasn't there a while ago.
Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you unhappy Iain? Are you troubled? If not I fail to see why you want to depict the other posters here as being miserable. Dukie's miserable, the rest of the posters seem jolly enough.
I've been away from the site for a while and perhaps Im looking at it now with fresh eyes.

Im not particularly unhappy, but I used to find this a fairly evenly opinioned forum, with a lot of friendly, useful posts. Now there just seem to be far more one sided bitter posts from people with a particular axe to grind, and a lot of the banter has a more cutting, less friendly, edge to it. Maybe I have finally gone to "the dark side" and have become too Canadian...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The false optimism is largely from the Grass is greener brigade who havent yet experienced life here, and yes, it does require balance...but that blade has two edges, there has to be a balance between the positive and the negative sides of life "in the colonies" posted by those who have actualy experienced it, and that is what seems to be in short supply.
Equestrian R I C H and stoner rich present two different but very positive images of Canada. The various same-sex couples seem happy in Toronto. Penny in NB seems to enjoy farming. Paradisefound, er, well nevermind.

There are lots of positive posters on here.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 5th 2008 at 4:36 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I've been away from the site for a while and perhaps Im looking at it now with fresh eyes.

Im not particularly unhappy, but I used to find this a fairly evenly opinioned forum, with a lot of friendly, usefull posts. Now there just seem to be far more one sided bitter posts from peolpe with a particular axe to grind, and a lot of the banter has a more cutting, less friendly, edge to it. Maybe I have finaly gone to "the dark side" and have become too Canadian...
Nah, you're just missing Bazz's kind and gentle wit.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
Nah, you're just missing Bazz's kind and gentle wit.
No, that's DEFINITELY not it.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:34 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

No, that's DEFINITELY not it.

PS is that you in the Liverpool shirt on your Gallery ?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:36 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I have finally gone to "the dark side" and have become too Canadian...
apologising for something outside of your control.....

yep..... going native
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz

PS is that you in the Liverpool shirt on your Gallery ?
I'm used to the constant dissapointment that comes from that by now, so thats not it...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:38 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Probably...
That explains a lot of things
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

^^^
Thats exactly the kind of mindless drivel I was talking about I guess. I hope you feel really big and clever now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.