British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   good news re my post yesterday (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/good-news-re-my-post-yesterday-559415/)

snowboarderlaura Sep 4th 2008 10:30 am

good news re my post yesterday

Some of you (well a lot actually) will have read my post yesterday asking what the legal processes were should my ex decide to contest the fact we're emigrating. I was very pleased with some of the replies, and others...well I thought they were pretty amateur and very childish.

Today I went round to see the ex, and armed with my little essay I sat him down and spoke to him about the pros and cons of going to Canada.

We did get into an arguement and I left

2 minutes later I got a text saying that if I wanted to go I could do, and he wouldn't stand in my way. for the kids sake

what a relief :)

Tanah Sep 4th 2008 10:44 am

Re: good news re my post yesterday

Gratz - but if i were you Id get that in writing QUICK - before he changes his mind lol

snowboarderlaura Sep 4th 2008 10:46 am

haha that was what i was thinking!!

YYZlover Sep 4th 2008 12:00 pm

Congrats! Must be a massive relief. Just get it in writing now.

But please, don't start new threads for updates on something you posted recently. It just clutters up the forum. ;-)

snowboarderlaura Sep 4th 2008 12:05 pm

oops sorry :o

won't do it again..promise ;)

thedayisnapped Sep 4th 2008 12:13 pm

I just read your original post and couldn't believe some of the replies on there. :frown:

Glad your ex has decided to see sense, must be a huge relief to you.

Souvenir Sep 4th 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by snowboarderlaura (Post 6747659)
Some of you (well a lot actually) will have read my post yesterday asking what the legal processes were should my ex decide to contest the fact we're emigrating. I was very pleased with some of the replies, and others...well I thought they were pretty amateur and very childish.

Today I went round to see the ex, and armed with my little essay I sat him down and spoke to him about the pros and cons of going to Canada.

2 minutes later I got a text saying that if I wanted to go I could do, and he wouldn't stand in my way. for the kids sake

Definitely get it in writing. You will almost certainly be asked for that consent when applying for your visa.

snowboarderlaura Sep 4th 2008 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by thedayisnapped (Post 6747985)
I just read your original post and couldn't believe some of the replies on there. :frown:

Glad your ex has decided to see sense, must be a huge relief to you.

you and me both!!

i can only conclude that some of the posters were drunk at the time :rofl:

it is a huge relief thanks, I was going to speak to a family lawyer today. Instead I can concentrate on getting him to sign the papers amicably instead :)

purple80 Sep 4th 2008 12:33 pm

Hi,
Glad you have had that outcome, I don't want to worry you, but we had exactly this situation. Bio mum consented in writing and then 7 weeks from flying withdrew consent for one child.

We had to go to Court and get Leave to Remove, without the courts say so, the other party can change their mind at any point.

I would still advise you to see a solicitor.

Charlie

dbd33 Sep 4th 2008 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by snowboarderlaura (Post 6748045)
you and me both!!

it is a huge relief thanks, I was going to speak to a family lawyer today. Instead I can concentrate on getting him to sign the papers amicably instead :)

I was not drunk then or now. I think your position "we're snowboarders so we want to go to Canada incidentally taking the children with us" might be a hard sell to a court when contrasted with "I'll look after the children here if I have to go on benefits to do it".

snowboarderlaura Sep 4th 2008 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 6748069)
Hi,
Glad you have had that outcome, I don't want to worry you, but we had exactly this situation. Bio mum consented in writing and then 7 weeks from flying withdrew consent for one child.

We had to go to Court and get Leave to Remove, without the courts say so, the other party can change their mind at any point.

I would still advise you to see a solicitor.

Charlie

I thought that this was the case Charlie. Their Dad is quite stupid though believe me, I'm hoping that he doesn't realise he can withdraw it

iaink Sep 4th 2008 12:45 pm

RUN, dont walk, to a LAWYER, and get it in watertight writing AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

fledermaus Sep 4th 2008 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by snowboarderlaura (Post 6748045)
you and me both!!

I wasnt drunk either.

dazzlerdaz Sep 4th 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by snowboarderlaura (Post 6748095)
Their Dad is quite stupid though believe me, I'm hoping that he doesn't realise he can withdraw it

Are you really that naive :confused:

On your other "tell me what i want to hear" thread, you were told time and time again to seek PROFESSIONAL advice.
You are not taking the kids for a walk in the park......you want to take them to Canada !

Instead of sitting on here blaming "drink" for the replies that you didnt like.....log off, make some calls and find out where you really stand ?

PS i will say it again "PROFESSIONAL ADVICE" !:eek:

moondevil Sep 4th 2008 1:49 pm

Get on the phone, make an appointment, they can have a letter drawn up and sent to him by next week, get it sorted whilst he is still willing to sign.
i have heard so many on here do what you have done and then the other parent has withdrawn at the last minute, which really is no good for the kids ;)
Also another thing to remember is when you move to canada, your CSA payments will probably stop anyway, it will be up to him to keep paying.
Also give an immagration lawyer a ring or drop an email to one and see where you stand in canada with both of the children ;)