Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Old Mar 27th 2007, 5:52 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Front Page Story by "Angie"

Originally Posted by Calgal
Ahhhh - but how wuz yer speliin'?
I spelt it grate fanks.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
You're spot on Trish - theres always posts on here about moving to Canada for a bigger house, and more space. In parts of the country real estate may be cheaper, but living expenses aren't as disproportionate. If you buy the big home & SUV - expect your living costs to go up.

IMO costs here are no more expensive than the UK, and if anything it's a little cheaper, but really it all depends on your lifestyle and where you live. It's a big country!
Absolutely! This is my first time visiting this site and the very first thing I read was Angie's article, and I couldn't believe it! We've been here for 18 months now and our view of living in Canada couldn't possibly contradict more with her experience. As another poster has mentioned, I feel very sorry for her. It sounds like she's had an awful lot of bad luck (although I'm sure her decisions and attitude haven't helped either!)

We're finding that we're no worse or better off financially, but the improvement in our quality of life is unbelievable. We now have a bigger place in a stunning mountain location, a bit of land, B&B/guest cabin and numerous animals. We've no more disposable income than we did in the UK, but we could *never* have afforded this property over there (moved from a 3 bed semi!)

Some things are far cheaper here, some things the same, and some more expensive, and overall it seems to even out.

An added bonus is that my husband is able to work from home part time now (self employed) and so we get more family time, and we also have two much happier kids as all their new friends are much nicer than their classmates in the UK!

I'm so tempted to submit an article myself now...

Alex
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
Is anyone else as annoyed as I am about the front page story by "Angie"?

I don't know anyone who works 2-3 jobs and as far as I'm concerned if you move to a different country has to accept the way that country works, if you don't like it leave. The article (if such an opinion piece can even be called that) doesn't even state where in Ontario "Angie" is!)

Canada is no more a third world country than the UK - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I know people are entitled to their opinions but that is so empty of fact its really p!ssed me off! :curse:
"I'm not Canadian when I open my mouth and the treatment we have had by some is disgraceful as soon as they hear the accent."

without wanting to get my head bit off by author, i am guessing, along with the 3 cars / 4 houses (or whatever) bit.... this is the sort of person who when opening their mouth, would annoy the crap out of me.

I could be wrong.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
"I'm not Canadian when I open my mouth and the treatment we have had by some is disgraceful as soon as they hear the accent."

without wanting to get my head bit off by author, i am guessing, along with the 3 cars / 4 houses (or whatever) bit.... this is the sort of person who when opening their mouth, would annoy the crap out of me.

I could be wrong.
PMSL So, so true!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Absolutely! This is my first time visiting this site and the very first thing I read was Angie's article, and I couldn't believe it! We've been here for 18 months now and our view of living in Canada couldn't possibly contradict more with her experience. As another poster has mentioned, I feel very sorry for her. It sounds like she's had an awful lot of bad luck (although I'm sure her decisions and attitude haven't helped either!)

We're finding that we're no worse or better off financially, but the improvement in our quality of life is unbelievable. We now have a bigger place in a stunning mountain location, a bit of land, B&B/guest cabin and numerous animals. We've no more disposable income than we did in the UK, but we could *never* have afforded this property over there (moved from a 3 bed semi!)

Some things are far cheaper here, some things the same, and some more expensive, and overall it seems to even out.

An added bonus is that my husband is able to work from home part time now (self employed) and so we get more family time, and we also have two much happier kids as all their new friends are much nicer than their classmates in the UK!

Alex
You just have...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Front Page Story by "Angie"

Alex
Is that your house by your name there?

Which part of BC are you? I want to live there.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alex
It's ok I got where you are now from your profile, Tete Jaune Cache, 200 mile north of Kamloops. You must be freezing!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
You'll find sometimes on this forum folk are very like Canadian employers, your opinion is invalid and your chance for being heard is nothing unless you are a seasoned veteran.
Did someone say something?????
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve666
Is that your house by your name there?

Which part of BC are you? I want to live there.
Yes, that's our place

That's the house, but it also came with totally self contained guest/b&b accomodation and 8 acres of about 50:50 pasture and woodland, all for less than we sold our 3 bed semi in Chester!!

Here's a pic that shows it a bit better (I hope - not tried this before!)

We're in the back of beyond, in a tiny village called Tete Jaune Cache. It's where highways 5 and 16 meet and we're surrounded by mountains in all directions (Rockies, Monashee and Cariboo ranges). The nearest well known town is Jasper (100km away!) but we're only 15km from Valemount, which has a few shops, restaurants, a medical centre, bank, etc., and about the same in the other direction to Mt. Robson. It's amazing here and I never want to leave. I would sometimes like to have less than a 3 hour drive to the nearest city for a shopping fix, though

Alex
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve666
It's ok I got where you are now from your profile, Tete Jaune Cache, 200 mile north of Kamloops. You must be freezing!!
Ah, it's not that bad We were broken in gently on our first winter, as the coldest it got was -26C, and that wasn't for more than a few days, but this winter we did have a few longer spells of -35ish. The summer was *baking* though
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

SCORPION is an unknown quantity at this point

I was sent to the UK at 16 to study. I worked 2 jobs - 5am start to go office cleaning and 5pm - 10pm after college. I was on a student visa with no help from my mum...

The trials and tribulations you face in a new country make you stronger.

I checked out the Settlement.org forum too ... talk about whine-central

If you want to relocate, nothing or no one can or should put you off.

Last edited by SCORPION; Mar 27th 2007 at 8:12 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's our place

That's the house, but it also came with totally self contained guest/b&b accomodation and 8 acres of about 50:50 pasture and woodland, all for less than we sold our 3 bed semi in Chester!!

Here's a pic that shows it a bit better (I hope - not tried this before!)

http://www.lazydogacres.com/images/winterfarm.jpg

We're in the back of beyond, in a tiny village called Tete Jaune Cache. It's where highways 5 and 16 meet and we're surrounded by mountains in all directions (Rockies, Monashee and Cariboo ranges). The nearest well known town is Jasper (100km away!) but we're only 15km from Valemount, which has a few shops, restaurants, a medical centre, bank, etc., and about the same in the other direction to Mt. Robson. It's amazing here and I never want to leave. I would sometimes like to have less than a 3 hour drive to the nearest city for a shopping fix, though

Alex
Excuse me while I sob into my hankie and go green with envy while stamping my feet on the floor! Your place looks fab
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Excuse me while I sob into my hankie and go green with envy while stamping my feet on the floor! Your place looks fab
I'm also going a paler shade of green, clutching a hanky and with a new objective when surfing my trusty mls.ca
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Im sitting here thinking Im glad I dont have to cope with that much snow clearance I guess thats a canadian perspective.

Does look picture postcard perfect, but a bit too remote even for me.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beebop
I'm also going a paler shade of green, clutching a hanky and with a new objective when surfing my trusty mls.ca
Thanks Beebop and Craftybanshee

mls.ca - would that list "for sale by owner" properties? We found this place on the http://www.forsalebyownercanada.com/ website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.