Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Front Page Story by "Angie"

Originally Posted by Robski
Steve666, Petal, you seem to be talking to yourself
Petal??
My old auntie used to call me that.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
Yeah, twenty years ago
Surely you can't be old enough to live in Kelowna?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Frozenrose
I just read that angie article and I have to say, having lived here for 7 years I think they must put some funny stuff in 'Angies' backward community for her to spout such absolute drivel. I think that calling canada a third world country is not only wrong, but insulting to Canada. its also misrepresentative of what a third world country actually is negates some third world countries sufferings completely. I am less annoyed at 'Angie' however because it doesnt surprise me that a british person can spout such crap - in all honesty I am glad I am not back in england because at least the level of education here is such that you can tell the difference between third world and western. Its the arrogance of the english that made me leave... please dont bring it here with you, and take away our jobs - I need to be able to work at least 2 or 3 to survive HAHA. maybe its not her accent that incited racism it was her attitude...
I have to run now and hang out with some sleep walking, sheep.

Oh dear - at the risk of offending you I have to say that I agree with some of Angie's observations. I, too, live in a small town in Ontario and have encountered racism. In fact your comment regarding ".....British person can spout such crap...." could be interpreted as racist. I am white and English, so look like most other Canadians; however the fact that I am English has prevented me from getting work here. Her comments are only drivel to you because you have not shared any of her experiences.....and for that, I'm happy for you. As I said earlier, just because you have not had the same experience is not a basis for saying it isn't so.

I know several Canadians who work 2 or 3 jobs, usually because they overspend on their credit cards.

I don't agree that Canada is a third world country, but in some respects it is rather puritanical in its thinking and attitudes.....maybe this is what she actually means. I notice she hasn't commented on any of the posts in this thread! Interesting.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:50 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve666
Surely you can't be old enough to live in Kelowna?
Nah, only 38 years young
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by purple80
Nah, only 38 years young
Ah yes, 42 years to go yet.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
What, old radiator heads and the fuzzy, furry bunnies.

It's the Master you've got to worry about. 100% evil - 100% sociopath......oh, did I mention he's english - lol.
I'd rather not be reminded of my early years spent behind the sofa. I'm sure my dad made me watch it as some kind of torture.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jood
Oh dear - at the risk of offending you I have to say that I agree with some of Angie's observations.
I do too, but I don't agree that the sum of them makes Canada a third world country. Things like endemic TB among parts of its population, treating their seals better than their aboriginal peoples, etc might make it eligible - but not rubbish banking and cellphones

Re racism - that surprised me, obviously I've seen it but never had anything other than polite interest in my origins and accent.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I do too, but I don't agree that the sum of them makes Canada a third world country. Things like endemic TB among parts of its population, treating their seals better than their aboriginal peoples, etc might make it eligible - but not rubbish banking and cellphones

Re racism - that surprised me, obviously I've seen it but never had anything other than polite interest in my origins and accent.
It surprised me too as we never experienced racism when we lived in Canada in the 80's...different part of Ontario,maybe it's just this area which is very narrow-minded and bigotted. Shame....on them.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I see no one has so far jumped up and gotten the bit between their teeth to write a glowing "pro canada" article to redress the balance.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
I see no one has so far jumped up and gotten the bit between their teeth to write a glowing "pro canada" article to redress the balance.
O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

canuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by neill
"I'm not Canadian when I open my mouth and the treatment we have had by some is disgraceful as soon as they hear the accent."

without wanting to get my head bit off by author, i am guessing, along with the 3 cars / 4 houses (or whatever) bit.... this is the sort of person who when opening their mouth, would annoy the crap out of me.

I could be wrong.
I think it is quite the opposite. Most Canadians LOVE British acents- we think you sound a lot smater than us.
Being British is considered to be very cool with most of the young people I know too.

As far as the job thing-yes I am sure some Canadians work two or three jobs- are you Brits so lazy that the thought of working that hard puts you off??
And some Canadians have old money and have never worked in a day in their life.

AS I said on another post- if that woman thinks Canada is a third world country then she really is not seeing things realistically and I would totally ignore her impressions of this country.
I also wonder about the difficulty getting a job....isn't it kind of natural, all things being equal, to give a job to someone from your own city/ country? I think that is human nature and I bet it happens in Britain as well. If you are the best qualified and give good references and interviews than I am bet 9 times out of 10 you will be given a fair shake.
I do think Canadians are pretty fair minded people for the most part. But yes there are some twats here too.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

sue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud of

Do not agree with the article at all. We to have been here 5 years and find it a great place to be. We also live in a small town and yes have had trouble getting jobs from time to time. I dont think this is because i am British just because its a small town and people tend to employ people they know.
We also had a car accident when my mum was visiting, our mini van was wrote off by a kid rear ending us at 75kmh, not nice and shook us all up for a while but the insurance where okay, paid out to replace but not enough. but when do insurance companies pay out fair anyway.

We are about to take out canadian ctizenship oath next week and i am sure it will be a proud moment for us all, even though we will be british first then canadian we are as a family very pleased we came here and made a go of it. Times have been hard sometimes and it is not all rosy but then its never all rosy wherever you live. You just have to make the best of it where you are and make things work for you.

Hope Angie finds out where she is supposed to be in this world because it doesnt sound like Canada is the place for her.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:21 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jood
I notice she hasn't commented on any of the posts in this thread! Interesting.
She doesn't post here ..... well 8 posts in 2002, and three of them were duplicates.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
Is anyone else as annoyed as I am about the front page story by "Angie"?

I don't know anyone who works 2-3 jobs and as far as I'm concerned if you move to a different country has to accept the way that country works, if you don't like it leave. The article (if such an opinion piece can even be called that) doesn't even state where in Ontario "Angie" is!)

Canada is no more a third world country than the UK - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I know people are entitled to their opinions but that is so empty of fact its really p!ssed me off! :curse:
It didn't annoy me even though I haven't had the same experience. But it's always good to remind people that everything here is far from perfect so that both sides can be seen. The trouble is that before I got here I refused to believe the negative stuff that I used to read here. Now I've learnt that some of it wasn't so off the mark. It's not been perfect for me. So what? It has for others. You tell it how you see it. Anyway this is just a forum frequented by all kinds of people with all kinds of personal opinion and experiences. You take away from it just the bits you want to take.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi, all.......been reading all your posts on this thread and feel i have tell of my ha'penny's worth!
i agree totally--that initial post everyone is up in arms about re canada etc is wrong in some senses.
first of all, it shouldn't have been posted where it is, right on the first page new peeps will see. it gives a downgrading image straight away to people wanting or thinking about emigrating.
as some have already said, it is the experience of one person and his/her family, but it doesn't mesn to say everyone will feel that way. i was exactly in the same boat when i was there, but my circumstances were very different indeed, so it was entirely wrong for people to read my comments and think what a sh..ty place canada is!
it's all basically common sense--if that poster hates it so much, then why stay there, for heaven's sake move back, to the land of milk and honey.
i'm quite sure their opinions will change very soon after being here!
yes, there are some people who have 2 jobs, in my experience i found that it was mainly (with all due respect and without causing offence to anyone) asians, afro-carribean and east europeans--for some reason, it may be lack of qualifications, literacy or just being new to the country and lacking canadian experience. but nevertheless, from what i saw, these people with 2 or 3 jobs (the most jobs i saw someone with was 2, not 3) have worked hard and built substantial businesses, in many cases employing fellow canadians!
turning around full circle--take myself as an example. yes, i too got a little peeved off when i was there, but as i said, there were other circumstances that coloured my experiences. and we had a house, great job, car virtually everything there!
the way you have to look at things is to try and view the good versus the bad points of both places, then make your decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.