This forum!

Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default This forum!

I've just spent some time reading through some of the threads posted here recently and felt that I had to comment - there are some people on this forum that, whenever anyone says they miss something about the UK, they jump down their throats and say things like "Why did you come here then?" and other such nonsense! There is no need for such nastiness and insensitivity on this forum. We're here to help each other through a process of adaptation to a new life.

I'm all for adapting to a new way of life in a new country, but there will always be things that I miss about the UK - Paxo stuffing, Bisto granules, pub grub, rugby, etc - but that doesn't mean I'm not 'making a go of it' here in Canada. Neither does it mean I'm thinking in the past or wishing I was elsewhere.

To all those people who like to shoot others down for their opinions, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE! Accept that just cos' you've lived here for 10 years or 10 minutes, it does not give you the right to put others down for their opinions or feelings! If you've given up on the UK so much and adopted the Canadian lifestyle, why are you on this forum???? Why keep any contact with British people?

When you've lived somewhere for 20-30 years and move elsewhere, you don't just shut off that portion of your memory and thought processes. Of course as humans we look back - our experiences in the past make us who we are.

So let's just think before we post nasty replies to people that put others down! As I said, we're here to support each other in what for many will be the biggest thing they ever do in life.

Rant over!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:59 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This forum!

Originally Posted by TrishB
there will always be things that I miss about the UK - Paxo stuffing, Bisto granules
Would you like me to send you some?, they have those two in our local supermarkets if you know where to look.

Kind of like finding the Marmite in with the baking stuff as its "yeast" extract Clearly no idea what its actually for

Point taken about the rest of it though. Immigration isnt easy for everyone, and people have a right to moan. The trivial stuff shouldnt be a deal breaker if everything else falls into place.

! If you've given up on the UK so much and adopted the Canadian lifestyle, why are you on this forum???? Why keep any contact with British people?
Cos we have some real life experience of living in canada, and are happy to pass that on, rather than leave people at the mercy of the rose tinted crap in "canada news" when making this sort of monumental once a lifetime decision?

Last edited by iaink; Mar 9th 2006 at 1:05 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:03 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

I've just spent some time reading through some of the threads posted here recently and felt that I had to comment - there are some people on this forum that, whenever anyone says they miss something about the UK, they jump down their throats and say things like "Why did you come here then?" and other such nonsense! There is no need for such nastiness and insensitivity on this forum. We're here to help each other through a process of adaptation to a new life.

I'm all for adapting to a new way of life in a new country, but there will always be things that I miss about the UK - Paxo stuffing, Bisto granules, pub grub, rugby, etc - but that doesn't mean I'm not 'making a go of it' here in Canada. Neither does it mean I'm thinking in the past or wishing I was elsewhere.

To all those people who like to shoot others down for their opinions, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE! Accept that just cos' you've lived here for 10 years or 10 minutes, it does not give you the right to put others down for their opinions or feelings! If you've given up on the UK so much and adopted the Canadian lifestyle, why are you on this forum???? Why keep any contact with British people?

When you've lived somewhere for 20-30 years and move elsewhere, you don't just shut off that portion of your memory and thought processes. Of course as humans we look back - our experiences in the past make us who we are.

So let's just think before we post nasty replies to people that put others down! As I said, we're here to support each other in what for many will be the biggest thing they ever do in life.

Rant over!
Very well put. Totally agree
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:07 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Tried to send you karma, Trish, but was told to spread it around some more.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:10 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Internet forums attract a variety of opinion and comment and some inevitably will grate/upset/annoy. Don't let it get to you. The subject of this forum as it involves such a huge life change attracts extremes of opinion from 'Canada is a utopian paradise' to 'Canada is hell on earth and I moved back to England, phew what a relief.' The reality as we all know is somewhere in between for most of us.

I miss a lot of things about England. Mainly family and friends but also, proper British pubs and proper beer. This may sound trivial to some but its neverthess heartfelt. Does it mean I cant live here happily? No of course not, but they are a couple of things I miss.

And I'm not alone. Mrs AX is a passionate Newfoundlander and loves this place dearly. Its because of her and my own love of the place I'm here too. But even she misses UK at times after living there for 5 years and its not at all beyond the bound of possibilities that we might go back some day as who knows whats going to happen in the long term.

In the meantime we live life for the present. This forum is great as a source of information, companionship (that shared experience thing) and humour. But view it like meeting with a bunch of people in a pub. Not everyone you meet is going to be someone you want to be best friends with.

My several cents,

AX

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Mar 9th 2006 at 1:55 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Internet forums attract a variety of opinion and comment and some inevitably will grate/upset/annoy. Don't let it get to you. The subject of this forum as it involves such a huge life change attracts extremes of opinion from 'Canada is a utopian paradise' to 'Canada is hell on earth and I moved back to England, phew what a relief.' The reality as we all know is somewhere in between for most of us.

I miss a lot of things about England. Mainly family and friends but also, proper British pubs and proper beer. This may sound trivial to some but its neverthess heartfelt. Does it mean I cant live here happily? No of course not, but they are a couple of things I miss.

And I'm not alone. Mrs AX is a passionate Newfoundlander and loves this place dearly. Its because of her and my own love of the place I'm here too. But even she misses UK at times after living there for 5 years and its not at all beyond the bound of possibilities that we might go back some day as who knows whats going to happen in the long term.

In the meantime we live life for the present. This place is great as a source of information, companionship (that shared experience thing) and humour. But view it like meeting with a bunch of people in a pub. Not everyone you meet is going to be someone you want to be best friends with.

My several cents,

AX
Well said Trish and well put AX.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post Trish!! Karma sent.

Your tottally right in what you say no one likes a bloody know it all!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Would you like me to send you some?, they have those two in our local supermarkets if you know where to look.

Kind of like finding the Marmite in with the baking stuff as its "yeast" extract Clearly no idea what its actually for

Point taken about the rest of it though. Immigration isnt easy for everyone, and people have a right to moan. The trivial stuff shouldnt be a deal breaker if everything else falls into place.

Cos we have some real life experience of living in canada, and are happy to pass that on, rather than leave people at the mercy of the rose tinted crap in "canada news" when making this sort of monumental once a lifetime decision?
Thankx for the offer, but probably heading out to Winnipeg in a couple of weeks for a big shopping trip! I bought a packet of the powdered Bisto when I got here and its absolutely boggin'!
Oh, the thought! Winnipeg - shops, malls, restaurants - civilisation!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

...but no Bisto granules, just the powder stuff
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
...but no Bisto granules, just the powder stuff
You can buy them in lowlaws but i dont think loblaws are in MB
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
You can buy them in lowlaws but i dont think loblaws are in MB
No, just Superstore and they only do the powder.

(I have a tub of granules bought the other week in Blighty, I'm alright, just thinking of Trish )
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:44 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

you know its not every day you see 'Winnipeg' and 'civilisation' in the same sentence
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Rant over!

Here Here.

willsend some karma

Pennyhp
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:24 pm
Banned

Athome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura about

I think you are proposing a simple answer to a complex question.

I agree in general with what you have said about missing things from home being normal, but I think you also have to acknowledge that some people show an obvious attitude problem and should be told to go home. Deciding who falls in what category is a judgement call that each of us has to make. I don't see how what you have posted here is any different than what you are accusing others of doing Trish.

"To all those people who like to shoot others down for their opinions, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!"

Aren't you doing just that?

"So let's just think before we post nasty replies to people that put others down!"

That you haven't made these comments to an individual doesn't change the fact that you are indeed attempting to tell others what they should and should not post.

Haven't I just attempted to tell you what you should and should not post? We all do it all the time. Not judging is extremely hard to do.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

I completely agree Trish. You put it very well. Karma on its way. Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.