Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying with dog to Edmonton

Flying with dog to Edmonton

Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flying with dog to Edmonton

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
You have a lot of options but personally I would stick with Ottawa or Toronto.

You could go through Montreal or Halifax and if you want to increase your flight time Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver!

I discounted Montreal purely because I am not sure if they have different immigration procedures but you are probably fine going through there.

When landing I would always add extra time in between connecting flights as you don't know how quick the process will be it can be done in 10 minutes or it can take longer depending on how busy the airport is.

Personally I like Ottawa it's usually a quiet flight but also costs more (typically).
Thank you, I will have a look at Ottawa, I also didn't consider Montreal however might have a look at it. I am really just looking to have the easiest process with regard to clearing the dog. I wasn't aware that I would have to physically clear him before moving on to Winnipeg.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Violets are blue
Thank you, I will have a look at Ottawa, I also didn't consider Montreal however might have a look at it. I am really just looking to have the easiest process with regard to clearing the dog. I wasn't aware that I would have to physically clear him before moving on to Winnipeg.
The trouble is once you land in Canada and get off the plane you need to clear customs, the next flight you are getting on is a national flight I.E. no customs!

The only way you would get around that is fly to the US and then make your landing airport within Canada, Winnipeg.

Unfortunately there is no direct service to/from winnipeg anymore and I am not aware of their being any service where the plane lands somewhere and carries onto Winnipeg. (Zoom used to do this but they went bust).
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What dates are you looking at flying on as this will make a big difference.
Which airport from the UK will you be departing from?
Are you budget minded and want the cheapest flight?
I just did a quick search using Expedia.ca for a one way flight departing Heathrow on Sun 1 Sep 2013.
Cheapest was $973 all taxes included LHR to Dublin to Chicago to Winnipeg
total flying time 17 hours.
Sometimes the return flight booking is cheaper than a one way as there are too many variables.
Do your research.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

The trouble is once you land in Canada and get off the plane you need to clear customs, the next flight you are getting on is a national flight I.E. no customs!

The only way you would get around that is fly to the US and then make your landing airport within Canada, Winnipeg.

Unfortunately there is no direct service to/from winnipeg anymore and I am not aware of their being any service where the plane lands somewhere and carries onto Winnipeg. (Zoom used to do this but they went bust).
Winnipeg is not the most popular destination so nothing direct or carrying on to there that I could find either .

I have no problem making Winnipeg my landing airport at all and going through the States however the problem was that when going through Chicago that last time it was necessary to offload and clear customs there also. Had to offload everything, clear customs and get on flight to Winnipeg, it took hours (not a problem really) and they lost luggage and so on. Did not want to risk them losing the dog . Will have a look at Pearson and Ottawa procedures for getting the dog cleared and go for the simplest.

I'm guessing I will have to do some running about regardless of where I land - between cargo and the terminals.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Winnipeg is not the most popular destination so nothing direct or carrying on to there that I could find either .

I have no problem making Winnipeg my landing airport at all and going through the States however the problem was that when going through Chicago that last time it was necessary to offload and clear customs there also. Had to offload everything, clear customs and get on flight to Winnipeg, it took hours (not a problem really) and they lost luggage and so on. Did not want to risk them losing the dog . Will have a look at Pearson and Ottawa procedures for getting the dog cleared and go for the simplest.

I'm guessing I will have to do some running about regardless of where I land - between cargo and the terminals.
I know I live here!

You are right either option will be a pain, I personally flew through the states once and I will not do it again unless I am desperate, it's not that it's a bad service or anything but paying the extra $200-300 to fly air Canada is money well spent to avoid country hopping.

Good luck with your search!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What dates are you looking at flying on as this will make a big difference.
Which airport from the UK will you be departing from?
Are you budget minded and want the cheapest flight?
I just did a quick search using Expedia.ca for a one way flight departing Heathrow on Sun 1 Sep 2013.
Cheapest was $973 all taxes included LHR to Dublin to Chicago to Winnipeg
total flying time 17 hours.
Sometimes the return flight booking is cheaper than a one way as there are too many variables.
Do your research.
We are looking at about mid May this year at the moment as there are restrictions listed for dogs up to sometime in April for certain flights. We are going from Heathrow and not looking at cheapest to be honest as we were looking at more direct as possible than price. Had more or less decided on Air Canada to Toronto to Winnipeg originally. It looked pretty straightforward and the only drawback was the dog with regard to getting his paperwork sorted in Toronto.

I guess it will just mean taking a taxi to the cargo area a couple of times and making enough time between connections. Just did not realise that we had to get the dog paperwork sorted in Toronto before flying onto Winnipeg. Had not thought of that at all so very pleased I was this thread and asked.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know I live here!

You are right either option will be a pain, I personally flew through the states once and I will not do it again unless I am desperate, it's not that it's a bad service or anything but paying the extra $200-300 to fly air Canada is money well spent to avoid country hopping.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks so much for your help, its much appreciated. You are correct, its not a bad service, I also just prefer to go through Canada.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking at about mid May this year at the moment as there are restrictions listed for dogs up to sometime in April for certain flights. We are going from Heathrow and not looking at cheapest to be honest as we were looking at more direct as possible than price. Had more or less decided on Air Canada to Toronto to Winnipeg originally. It looked pretty straightforward and the only drawback was the dog with regard to getting his paperwork sorted in Toronto.

I guess it will just mean taking a taxi to the cargo area a couple of times and making enough time between connections. Just did not realise that we had to get the dog paperwork sorted in Toronto before flying onto Winnipeg. Had not thought of that at all so very pleased I was this thread and asked.
If you allow plenty of time between connecting flights then its less hassle. Arriving in Toronto with only a 90 minute gap between flights is basically asking for trouble as Customs clearance can take anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours depending on what time you arrive.
Sticking with the same airline if possible is a good option as you wont need to change terminals on arrival.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you allow plenty of time between connecting flights then its less hassle. Arriving in Toronto with only a 90 minute gap between flights is basically asking for trouble as Customs clearance can take anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours depending on what time you arrive.
Sticking with the same airline if possible is a good option as you wont need to change terminals on arrival.
Thanks so much Former Lancastrian, will have a look at Air Canada all the way through and look for at least 4 hours in between. Hopefully that will be enough time to get there and do whatever running about is necessary to get the dog paperwork through. Might have to phone Air Canada to get the flights with enough time in between, can only find flights online with under 3 hour gap and that does not really sound long when it comes to getting all our stuff off and on, going through customs and then finding the paperwork for the dog if its in another location also.

It's all really go to know at this stage before we book the flights. Thanks again, its much appreciated.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Is the dog on the same flight as you?
If on the same flight you declare it on the Customs Declaration Card that you fill out on the plane.
Make sure you have a current rabies vaccination certificate with you.
If the dog is off loaded and taken to Air Canada cargo then you will need to pick up the paperwork for the dog. You go back to the main terminal and there is a general CBSA office where you take the paperwork to where it is stamped. Then back to the cargo office to pick up the dog.
Im not sure of Edmontons procedures but our airport off loads the dog into the main terminal so no faffing about going back and forth to cargo etc.
I believe the inspection fee is $35.

Read this link
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../canin3e.shtml

Has anybody tried to smuggle drugs in a dog and been caught?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
Yes they have and plenty have been caught also undervaluing dogs they have purchased.
They also do it with cats, horses, birds etc etc.
Undervaluing an animal by $1000 doesnt mean you are saving $1000 in taxes or ripping off the Feds for $1000.
This is why we love stoopid people they keep us employed and make our job interesting
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
Looks like it!! Quick search found this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aine-dogs.html

Not sure if the link will work
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Or these
http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...es-into-canada

This one will appeal to Oink
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...f-4e31246a8b4e
http://www.richmondreview.com/news/163114916.html
http://phys.org/news/2011-03-carp-smuggled-canada.html
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

A good job by the CBSA although the fine should of been much higher. The local Dungeness crabs are really delicious, especially with some melted butter, so we want to keep anything that threatens them out of our waters. Now if the local plods would arrest the naffers who keep stealing my traps, all would be good.