Reload this Page >

CIMA Qualified Accountant

CIMA Qualified Accountant

Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

nic8764 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CIMA Qualified Accountant

Hi,

Is there anybody out there who has experience of emigrating to Canada, seeking employment as a Management Accountant?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all
Default Re: CIMA Qualified Accountant

I'm ACCA and as far as I can tell it has no bearing on your ability to get into Canada (other factors are considered - age, education, work experience, language skills).

However, from my point of view, if I get there the ACCA has a mutual recognition agreement with the CGA (Certified General Accountants) of Canada. This means I could get recognised by a Canadian professional body (which is one of my major reasons for selecting Canada as a place to emigrate to). This woudl hopefully make my employability much better when I get there.

You should check if CIMA have any reciprocal agreements with other global accountancy bodies. I know that they certainly used to with an Australian body. I've also heard they have an arrangement with an American accountancy body (although I was told this in a pub).
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

A poster called Howefamily is a CMA in Nova Scotia.

Professional bodies are administered provincially so you need to contact the CMA association in the province you are heading too to find thier conversion options and qualifications for membership.

Last edited by JonboyE; Feb 20th 2013 at 6:51 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:48 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

HI, I am CIMA qual and have transferred to CMA.
There is a mutual recognition in place and its relatively painless. You just have to fill in a portal of all your skills to meet certain criteria and then get your employer to sign it off - online.

You do have to pay your CIMA and CMA subs though, you cant have one without the other.
There is currently a merger going on between the designations, see link.

http://cpacanada.ca/a-framework-for-...ng-profession/
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:49 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A poster called Howefamily is a CMA in Nova Scotia.
someone called
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:50 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths
You should check if CIMA have any reciprocal agreements with other global accountancy bodies. I know that they certainly used to with an Australian body. I've also heard they have an arrangement with an American accountancy body (although I was told this in a pub).
This is true, its with CGMA I think - doesnt seem to hold any weight here
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
HI, I am CIMA qual and have transferred to CMA.
There is a mutual recognition in place and its relatively painless. You just have to fill in a portal of all your skills to meet certain criteria and then get your employer to sign it off - online.

You do have to pay your CIMA and CMA subs though, you cant have one without the other.
There is currently a merger going on between the designations, see link.

http://cpacanada.ca/a-framework-for-...ng-profession/
Hi, thanks for the information. I can't believe that you are in Nova Scotia, i was looking at houses in that area. How is the accountancy work around there? Was it difficult to find employment??
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:00 am
Happy

Originally Posted by nic8764
Hi, thanks for the information. I can't believe that you are in Nova Scotia, i was looking at houses in that area. How is the accountancy work around there? Was it difficult to find employment??
I love being here.
Its fine, theres work here.
My first job I got by contacting them from the UK. They had a strategic alliance with my UK company so there was my opening line and in went my Resume. On follow up I found they were keen to see me as I had worked at Fender as an Analyst and boss was in a band and had a Fender.
I went to see them, they decided they needed me to sort out their reporting and write some spreadsheets and a job was born.

Fast forward a year and I found my next job through a recruitment agency (very like the UK) and now I am still in that Group.

If you are interested in NS, I recommend Accountant Staffing in Halifax - speak to Troy Yeo. Hes very up to date with the market.
Oh and transfer to CMA, start that ball rolling, no one recognizes CIMA here.

Good luck
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:16 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by nic8764
Thanks for your advice.
anytime.
If you decide on NS (or even if not), please feel that you can contact me. I am happy to help if I can