British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Flying with dog to Edmonton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/flying-dog-edmonton-788044/)

crazydaving Feb 20th 2013 3:54 pm

Flying with dog to Edmonton

Hi all; 10 weeks until we go, can't believe it! Question about general dog process , I know the import requirements and can sort that and we're using a pet travel agent to fly Air Canada from Heathrow to Edmonton.

Its my fiancee and I plus dog travelling. Both Canadian passport holders. On arrival:

1) I gather I'll have to show the dog on the goods to follow list - true?
2) I suppose we'll have some forms to fill out and get them stamped, including dog details - anyone know any details on forms etc? (I've seen the Wiki already, wondering if its changed or if I need to prepare anything in advance)
3) Once forms are stamped, collect our bags and go to Air Canada Cargo (?) to collect the dog...but then not sure what happens. I've read you have to go back to the immigration desk to get another stamp or something - if so how / where, surely they won't let you back in the exit part of the airport so any ideas about this one, maybe another immigration office somewhere? We're staying with family so surely I can take any forms back to get stamped while my fiancee and family go home with the dog or something?

It would be a nightmare lugging a great big husky plus bags all over the airport for the sake of a stamp so not sure what to expect. Any advice on process & procedures welcome :thumbsup:

Former Lancastrian Feb 20th 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Flying with dog to Edmonton

Is the dog on the same flight as you?
If on the same flight you declare it on the Customs Declaration Card that you fill out on the plane.
Make sure you have a current rabies vaccination certificate with you.
If the dog is off loaded and taken to Air Canada cargo then you will need to pick up the paperwork for the dog. You go back to the main terminal and there is a general CBSA office where you take the paperwork to where it is stamped. Then back to the cargo office to pick up the dog.
Im not sure of Edmontons procedures but our airport off loads the dog into the main terminal so no faffing about going back and forth to cargo etc.
I believe the inspection fee is $35.

Read this link
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../canin3e.shtml

crazydaving Feb 20th 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks for that. I'm sure they'll explain it all at customs anyway. I hope they do offload straight into the main airport, sounds much easier. He will be on the same flight too. Anyone here have experience of Edmonton airport specifically?

Former Lancastrian Feb 20th 2013 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by crazydaving (Post 10557668)
Thanks for that. I'm sure they'll explain it all at customs anyway. I hope they do offload straight into the main airport, sounds much easier. He will be on the same flight too. Anyone here have experience of Edmonton airport specifically?

You will probably arrive around gate 84. You get off the plane and walk towards the Customs Hall. They have a moving walkway and the wall plays music and changes colour.
As you go down the escalator its like going down into an atrium with a living plant wall as a feature but no tropical birds or wildlife.
I think there are 11 CBSA glass enclosed primary booths so you will follow the snake like you see in banks etc.
After showing passport and declaration card you walk into an open baggage claim area with 3 x baggage claim belts. They are dressed up with the local Edmonton sports teams the Oilers, Eskimos and the Oil Kings.
Immigration office is on the right as you enter claim area. Pick up bags
and then walk to exit.
Nothing special and quite easy.

crazydaving Feb 20th 2013 8:17 pm

Lol that's amazing knowledge there, thanks :-)

cjones Feb 20th 2013 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10557531)
Is the dog on the same flight as you?
If on the same flight you declare it on the Customs Declaration Card that you fill out on the plane.
Make sure you have a current rabies vaccination certificate with you.
If the dog is off loaded and taken to Air Canada cargo then you will need to pick up the paperwork for the dog. You go back to the main terminal and there is a general CBSA office where you take the paperwork to where it is stamped. Then back to the cargo office to pick up the dog.

Im not sure of Edmontons procedures but our airport off loads the dog into the main terminal so no faffing about going back and forth to cargo etc.
I believe the inspection fee is $35.

Read this link
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../canin3e.shtml

That's exactly how we did it (Air Canada), although that was a few years back so maybe it's changed.

We were lucky in having a driver meet us at the terminal and ferry us back and forth between there and cargo and back. Would have been a bit of a pain otherwise.

crazydaving Feb 21st 2013 9:50 am

Thanks for this guys. It seems more straightforward than going to Calgary, I've read somewhere its a bit of a nightmare down there collecting dogs. Plus our family and friends live in Edmonton, so we'll have transport around the airport.

Violets are blue Feb 21st 2013 12:42 pm

I wonder if I could add a question that links loosely with this thread please? We are taking our dog to Winnipeg via Toronto - silly question but I believe that all goods are collected in Toronto and go through the PR landing there and then we carry on to Winnipeg (putting our luggage through again)? Im assuming that we don't have to do anything with the dog in Toronto, that it will just carry on and get put on the flight to Winnipeg? Or am I wrong? Sorry to jump in here on your thread.

Former Lancastrian Feb 21st 2013 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Violets are blue (Post 10559192)
I wonder if I could add a question that links loosely with this thread please? We are taking our dog to Winnipeg via Toronto - silly question but I believe that all goods are collected in Toronto and go through the PR landing there and then we carry on to Winnipeg (putting our luggage through again)? Im assuming that we don't have to do anything with the dog in Toronto, that it will just carry on and get put on the flight to Winnipeg? Or am I wrong? Sorry to jump in here on your thread.

Dog will need to be cleared in Toronto along with your luggage it will not be forwarded without Customs clearance. Welcome to the hell that is Pearson Airport:lol:

Violets are blue Feb 21st 2013 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10560141)
Dog will need to be cleared in Toronto along with your luggage it will not be forwarded without Customs clearance. Welcome to the hell that is Pearson Airport:lol:

Ohh holy maccaroni !!! I'm assuming that the dog will have to be picked up somewhere at Pearson Airport and dropped somewhere? Might it be easier to go through a different airport in Canada like Calgary or is getting the dog a fairly simple process in Toronto?

Former Lancastrian Feb 21st 2013 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Violets are blue (Post 10560160)
Ohh holy maccaroni !!! I'm assuming that the dog will have to be picked up somewhere at Pearson Airport and dropped somewhere? Might it be easier to go through a different airport in Canada like Calgary or is getting the dog a fairly simple process in Toronto?

Ive no idea on Pearsons procedures and I know going to Calgary you need to go to a cargo office then back to the terminal then back to cargo.
Lots have done it but after a long day it can be a pain.
My airport is civilized in that the dog gets offloaded and taken into the terminal if on the same flight. No faffing about getting taxis and picking up paperwork there again most dont want to clear through my airport :lol:

Violets are blue Feb 21st 2013 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10560235)
Ive no idea on Pearsons procedures and I know going to Calgary you need to go to a cargo office then back to the terminal then back to cargo.
Lots have done it but after a long day it can be a pain.
My airport is civilized in that the dog gets offloaded and taken into the terminal if on the same flight. No faffing about getting taxis and picking up paperwork there again most dont want to clear through my airport :lol:

Thanks so much for the information. I have looked at Pearson website but it does not say what the procedure is. I will have to e mail or phone and ask. Does that mean that all of our luggage has to come to or can that be left in a 'luggage area'. My daughter is the official owner of the dog and therefore her details attached to the microchip - dont know if this matters to be honest.

I will go through any airport and have no problem with where it is (always up for an adventure :D) as long as there is a connection to Winnipeg at some point (preferably not costing an extra $3000 and preferably not 6 months later :D).

Former Lancastrian Feb 21st 2013 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Violets are blue (Post 10560277)
Thanks so much for the information. I have looked at Pearson website but it does not say what the procedure is. I will have to e mail or phone and ask. Does that mean that all of our luggage has to come to or can that be left in a 'luggage area'. My daughter is the official owner of the dog and therefore her details attached to the microchip - dont know if this matters to be honest.

I will go through any airport and have no problem with where it is (always up for an adventure :D) as long as there is a connection to Winnipeg at some point (preferably not costing an extra $3000 and preferably not 6 months later :D).

Have you looked at flights going via Minneapolis and Chicago;)

ArthurBrit Feb 21st 2013 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Violets are blue (Post 10560277)

You have a lot of options but personally I would stick with Ottawa or Toronto.

You could go through Montreal or Halifax and if you want to increase your flight time Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver!

I discounted Montreal purely because I am not sure if they have different immigration procedures but you are probably fine going through there.

When landing I would always add extra time in between connecting flights as you don't know how quick the process will be it can be done in 10 minutes or it can take longer depending on how busy the airport is.

Personally I like Ottawa it's usually a quiet flight but also costs more (typically).

Violets are blue Feb 21st 2013 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10560283)
Have you looked at flights going via Minneapolis and Chicago;)

A little, I really do not want to go through Chicago as have done a few times and never once had a good experience there, I just do not like going through there now and would prefer avoid it.

I have not looked at Minneapolis as I was thinking I just wanted to go through Canada however unloading in Canada or Minneapolis might be the same, I really don't know. Do I need to take a taxi to somewhere in Minneapolis airport or is that a simpler process? There are loads of flights going through there and it is cheaper but I had discounted it purely because I was trying to avoid the US this time.