Flour ?

Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:10 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flour ?

Originally Posted by fuzzbuzz
Yorkshire Pudding, the mix here is so different from the one I used at home so here is what I find works in Canada..
I make up a double quantity as there are 6 of us and we get through a lot this will make 24 muffin tin ones or one large roast tin, but if you need less just cut everything in half.
230 grams of All Purpose flour
pinch salt
6 Eggs
16 oz Water (do Not use Milk)
Put in Blender and whiz away

This is best made and hour or more before you want to use it but if in a rush it will be fine used straight away,if made early just give it another quick whiz before using.
I just spray the pans with pam and it works fine no need to use tons of oil if you are trying to be health conscious pop in oven to get nice and hot then pour in Batter.
Pre heat oven at 400 - 420 until risen and golden,about 15 - 20 mins for the small ones and about 30 - 35 mins the Large but it could vary slightly.
I hope you all have great success with this I never fail using this recipe so good luck and let me know how you get on.
Thanks for this, will try them and let you know.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Flour ?

Originally Posted by annabella
I am going to try this. My Yorkshires come out flat whatever flour I use. Asked a Yorkshire friend what the answer was to nicely risen Yorkshire puds and she said that I should buy a packet of YP mix from the supermarket as she does!
Peronally, I have found that flour is not the issue; the knack to really good yorkshires is VERY HOT OIL.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

veengraham has a spectacular aura aboutveengraham has a spectacular aura aboutveengraham has a spectacular aura about

so glad to find this thread about flour!

since we arrived here all i did was the quick just add an egg mixture(children love baking but with baby i could not pluck up the courage to do a proper cake!!!)
last week i felt very braveand went to purchase all the needed ingredients
but could not find any self raising flour so i thought may be it was me getting confused with flour(we ended up making chocolate rice crispies!!!)

so i have not lost it! others do have problem with flour
what would you use for a simple sponge cake?
all purpose flour with baking powder?
cakes flour only?

thank you!
vee
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:25 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Self raising is not as popular here, but it is available. For example there is no "no name" self raising, but there is a "Brodie" one in smaller packets at our local supermarket. Its a blue and white pack..actually the same company as "Robin Hood" I understand.

If they have sold out, places like "The Bulk Barn" always have it, along with most everything else that I cant find elsewhere, like whole nutmegs and chick pea flour for bhajis.

If all else fails add the appropriate amount of paking powder / salt to A-P flour..I think its something like 3 teaspoons to a cup of flour and a pinch of salt..but could be wrong.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 4th 2007 at 6:30 pm.