Flour ?

Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:04 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flour ?

Recommendations for using with baking - muffins, Yorkshire Puds etc to get them to rise properly.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:19 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flour ?

OH found self raising flour in Loblaws the other week and our yorkshires turned out lovely.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
OH found self raising flour in Loblaws the other week and our yorkshires turned out lovely.
Thank you
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
really?? I never have used self raising flour in yorkshires. Plain flour is whats called for, no raising agents needed.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:08 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
really?? I never have used self raising flour in yorkshires. Plain flour is whats called for, no raising agents needed.
Well he used self raising and they were big and lovely. (Yorkshires that is)
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:31 pm
Reunited

Right when I'm wrong I'll say I'm wrong.

Just double checked with OH and he tells me that he used the all purpose flour but did throw in a spoon full of the self raising stuff just to see what would happen. So big yorkshires was the result.

The self raising stuff was apparently for the dumplins.

hangs head, take off pinny and lets OH finish cooking dinner
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:37 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Recommendations for using with baking - muffins, Yorkshire Puds etc to get them to rise properly.
I always use Superstores bread flour and make excellent yorkshires (even if I do say so myself!)
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

This works beautifully every times for me. If possible make the batter well in advance. I make mine after breakfast for cook at 5-6pm - you could make it that day before and keep it in the fridge, but allow it time out of the fridge before using.

vegetable oil
290ml/½ pint milk
4 eggs
255g/9oz plain flour
salt and black pepper

Put a little vegetable oil in the yorkshire pudding tins and put in the oven to preheat.
Mix milk, beaten eggs and seasoning
Whisk in flour
Pour batter into hot tins
Bake at 220C.425F or gas mark 7 for 10 minutes, or until puffy and raised.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
This works beautifully every times for me. If possible make the batter well in advance. I make mine after breakfast for cook at 5-6pm - you could make it that day before and keep it in the fridge, but allow it time out of the fridge before using.

vegetable oil
290ml/½ pint milk
4 eggs
255g/9oz plain flour
salt and black pepper

Put a little vegetable oil in the yorkshire pudding tins and put in the oven to preheat.
Mix milk, beaten eggs and seasoning
Whisk in flour
Pour batter into hot tins
Bake at 220C.425F or gas mark 7 for 10 minutes, or until puffy and raised.
I am going to try this. My Yorkshires come out flat whatever flour I use. Asked a Yorkshire friend what the answer was to nicely risen Yorkshire puds and she said that I should buy a packet of YP mix from the supermarket as she does!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

This does seem to be a problem in North America. My sister-in-law says no matter what she does they just don't rise for her in the US, but when she makes them back in the UK they rise just fine. Reckons it's something to do with the flour...
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bodgerx
This does seem to be a problem in North America. My sister-in-law says no matter what she does they just don't rise for her in the US, but when she makes them back in the UK they rise just fine. Reckons it's something to do with the flour...
I know that when you are at a high altitude there is a problem with rising of cakes etc, but I don't make my YPuds standing on a ladder so I don't understand.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

ok ~ok..i just have to ask..what is a yorkshire..???

( am going to go google to see if i can find one..then again wouldn't know what i was looking at!!!)
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

However!..if anyone has a successful recipe for scones please do share!!..

i tried them with the all purpose flour and some baking powder.....still flat!!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

am i on the right track..???>> and what do you eat them with..? what is so yummy about them...
Attached Thumbnails Flour ?-_42600031_yorkshire_pud300.jpg   Flour ?-55099400.jpg  
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
However!..if anyone has a successful recipe for scones please do share!!..

i tried them with the all purpose flour and some baking powder.....still flat!!
I recommend

www.recipezaar.com

as a great site for anybody interested in cooking. Just hundreds and hundreds of recipes of all sorts and from all over the world including North America. And it is free..

You'll probably find - and that's to start - about twenty recipes for scones..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.