Flour ?

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:03 am
Just Joined

fuzzbuzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flour ?

I just noticed this thread on cooking and such,after moving to Canada I found my yorkshires went from huge and light to something resembling hockey pucks,after several years of trial and error I have the perfect yorkshire mix they are once again large light and very tasty I make them with every roast not just Beef and love them with sausages (Toad in the hole)if any of you are still having trouble getting your yorkshires to rise let me know and I will post my recipe.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:40 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzzbuzz
I just noticed this thread on cooking and such,after moving to Canada I found my yorkshires went from huge and light to something resembling hockey pucks,after several years of trial and error I have the perfect yorkshire mix they are once again large light and very tasty I make them with every roast not just Beef and love them with sausages (Toad in the hole)if any of you are still having trouble getting your yorkshires to rise let me know and I will post my recipe.
yes please to the recipe
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Post away...Got a couple of nice hunks of top sirloin for $2 a pound, so its roast beef and yorkshire pud for our thanksgiving meal
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Yes please and what sausages do you use also?

Jo xx
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa
Yes please and what sausages do you use also?

Jo xx
we buy our sausages from the butchery counter in our local Superstore. They do some excellent honey & garlic ones, and the "English Bangers" are pretty good too, especially with bacon and fried bread and baked beans and mushrooms and fried egg and and and... <we interrupt this broadcast due to a suspected outbreak of drooling on the keyboard>
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Please, please, please....mine could sole shoes!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Yorkshire Pudding, the mix here is so different from the one I used at home so here is what I find works in Canada..
I make up a double quantity as there are 6 of us and we get through a lot this will make 24 muffin tin ones or one large roast tin, but if you need less just cut everything in half.
230 grams of All Purpose flour
pinch salt
6 Eggs
16 oz Water (do Not use Milk)
Put in Blender and whiz away

This is best made and hour or more before you want to use it but if in a rush it will be fine used straight away,if made early just give it another quick whiz before using.
I just spray the pans with pam and it works fine no need to use tons of oil if you are trying to be health conscious pop in oven to get nice and hot then pour in Batter.
Pre heat oven at 400 - 420 until risen and golden,about 15 - 20 mins for the small ones and about 30 - 35 mins the Large but it could vary slightly.
I hope you all have great success with this I never fail using this recipe so good luck and let me know how you get on.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Yorkshire Pudding, the mix here is so different from the one I used at home so here is what I find works in Canada..
I make up a double quantity as there are 6 of us and we get through a lot this will make 24 muffin tin ones or one large roast tin, but if you need less just cut everything in half.
pinch salt
6 Eggs

This is best made and hour or more before you want to use it but if in a rush it will be fine used straight away,if made early just give it another quick whiz before using.
I just spray the pans with pam and it works fine no need to use tons of oil if you are trying to be health conscious pop in oven to get nice and hot then pour in Batter.
Pre heat oven at 400 - 420 until risen and golden,about 15 - 20 mins for the small ones and about 30 - 35 mins the Large but it could vary slightly.
I hope you all have great success with this I never fail using this recipe so good luck and let me know how you get on.
Great recipie, thanks for that.
I always use lots of eggs and more water than milk, which is a combination of Deliah Smith and Jamie Oliver's redipie's. I guess trying to do that over here just doesn't work. I haven't got a blender though, do you think this is the secret?
I'll try it this weekend for Thanksgiving definately.

Jo xx

Last edited by joelsa; Oct 3rd 2007 at 3:15 am. Reason: to add
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:36 am
Just Joined

The blender is only needed for ease,I am not too good at anything that requires a good long whisk my arm always gets tired,at home I always did it by hand if I used a mixer it would ruin the puds,here it is the opposite they have to be well beaten,so whisk away make sure you do it really well though.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
This does seem to be a problem in North America. My sister-in-law says no matter what she does they just don't rise for her in the US, but when she makes them back in the UK they rise just fine. Reckons it's something to do with the flour...
I have had mixed success with yorkies here in Canada.
I find that the all purpose flour that is super fine (looks a bit like icing suger) is very tricky and will only work occassionaly for me with my yorkshires.

Penny
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

pinch salt
6 Eggs

No Baking powder or anything like that to make it rise?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Yorkshire puds have always been made with plain flour not self raising.

So long as the mix is right they rise, no raising agents required.

Weird I know

Penny
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Yorkshire puds have always been made with plain flour not self raising.

So long as the mix is right they rise, no raising agents required.

Weird I know

Penny
Cant hurt to add a bit though Works for my fluffy blueberry pancakes....
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

pinch salt
6 Eggs

Thank you. Going to try this recipe.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iaink
It's the beating of the mixture, introducing as much air as poss. that makes the mixture rise as the air expands in the heat of the oven. Well I believe that's the theory but mine have been flat up to now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.