Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Five years and homesickness increasing..

Five years and homesickness increasing..

Old May 28th 2019, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five years and homesickness increasing..

If you intend to make Canada your home, and be a Canadian, then why not buy IN Canada?

To keep buying British means that you are not settling because you haven't tried to "assimilate" as some call it. That word sounds so awful!!!! Like being assimilated into the Borgs in Star Trek

There is nothing from Britain that I long for that I cannot buy here .............. Heinz Salad Dressing and Branston Pickle are both available in my local Safeway/Sobeys, meaty bacon is available from several local butchers and farm markets, OH can easily buy the Clarks' shoes that fit him best from The Bay or independent shoe shops here and elsewhere in Canada, etc etc.

I no longer think that the British clothes that I used to think so good (eg M&S underwear and sweaters) are worth it, I can buy better here.
Old May 28th 2019, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
There is nothing from Britain that I long for that I cannot buy here .............. Heinz Salad Dressing and Branston Pickle are both available in my local Safeway/Sobeys, meaty bacon is available from several local butchers and farm markets, OH can easily buy the Clarks' shoes that fit him best from The Bay or independent shoe shops here and elsewhere in Canada, etc etc.
It's gotten even better over the years I have lived here too, Save On Foods excellent Tesco foods section, Heinz launching British Style Baked Beans, etc.

And it goes even further than that side if you're adventurous, there are things you can get here from other countries you can't get easily in the UK as well, particularly asian foods. I got some Japanese green tea kitkats from Real Canadian Superstore's asian foods aisle a few weeks ago that were delicious! That's more a perk of Vancouver being such an international hub and asian gateway, but it's still really good and something you might overlook when you just focus on old things you miss not new things you actually gain.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; May 28th 2019 at 10:46 pm.
Old May 28th 2019, 11:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing from Britain that I long for that I cannot buy here
Wispa bars.
Cadbury's Giant Buttons
a 99

I have just carried 50lbs 2 ozs of the above back from Britain because they're not available here.

Old May 28th 2019, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
It's gotten even better over the years I have lived here too, Save On Foods excellent Tesco foods section, Heinz launching British Style Baked Beans, etc.

And it goes even further than that side if you're adventurous, there are things you can get here from other countries you can't get easily in the UK as well, particularly asian foods. I got some Japanese green tea kitkats from Real Canadian Superstore's asian foods aisle a few weeks ago that were delicious! That's more a perk of Vancouver being such an international hub and asian gateway, but it's still really good and something you might overlook when you just focus on old things you miss not new things you actually gain.
How true!!

I didn't mention that my fridge has lots of different foods .......... I have soy and teriyaki sauces from Japan, plum sauce from China, several types of chutney, and several Asian spices in my spice rack. I have First Nations smoked salmon and cedar wood smoked salmon in my fridge or freezer.

Don't forget Asian veggies and fruits that I doubt you see in the UK, but are delicious (even if you have to learn how to cook them).

Old May 28th 2019, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Wispa bars.
Cadbury's Giant Buttons
a 99

I have just carried 50lbs 2 ozs of the above back from Britain because they're not available here.
Never heard of Wispa Bar ................. Google tells me that they came out many years after I'd left the UK. It also tells me that they have a very high calorific value, including 16 grams sugar per BAR.

FWIW .............. I haven't heard of most of the English chocolates, sweets and biscuits that people seem to drool over!

However I have seen Tim Tams on the shelves of my local Safeway over the last couple of months.

I no longer like the taste of British chocolate, it's too sweet for me.

Find yourself a local chocolaterie and eat GOOD chocolate.
Old May 28th 2019, 11:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Find yourself a local chocolaterie and eat GOOD chocolate.
I'm eating a bar of Cailler.
Old May 28th 2019, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Imported from Switzerland????

Try a local chocolaterie, and eat chocolates made within the last 3 weeks, without any kind of preservative.
Old May 28th 2019, 11:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Imported from Switzerland????

Try a local chocolaterie, and eat chocolates made within the last 3 weeks, without any kind of preservative.
I bought it in Switzerland, last Thursday. It was local to me then.

Old May 29th 2019, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd forgotten that you'd been to Europe recently!!

Cailler is readily available in Vancouver, but from stores operated by Lindt. There are several in downtown and elsewhere.
Old May 29th 2019, 3:00 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

To keep buying British means that you are not settling because you haven't tried to "assimilate" as some call it. That word sounds so awful!!!! Like being assimilated into the Borgs in Star Trek

There is nothing from Britain that I long for that I cannot buy here ..............
I agree with your assimilation point and I find it out when people pine for British TV.

That being said for full disclosure I've pretty much used deodorant from the UK for 9 and a half years. Only recently did Sure finally launch a decent spray here and I've never liked roll on.

I also have tea in my cupboard from Sainsburys.

I could survive quite happily with out the tea.
Old May 29th 2019, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Wispa bars.
Cadbury's Giant Buttons
a 99

Wispa wouldn't be high on my priority list. Aero will do. The mint version is nice with coffee.

Topic would be my choice. Plenty of Mars, Snickers, Yorkies, etc and Mr Big doubles for a Picnic or Lion bar.

Just no hazelnut in every bite.

There's always Amazon of course.

In fact Amazon has Picnic and Topic for $2 a bar and free delivery without having to buy loads.

Last edited by BristolUK; May 29th 2019 at 12:58 pm.
Old May 29th 2019, 1:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I know the UK is most definitely NOT the country we left .............. but then Vancouver is not the same place as the one where we arrived in August 1968.

I went back to my home town 3 years after we left the UK because my father died, I stayed with my brother outside Manchester and went to my old home every day for a week. I got lost in the town centre, believe it or not, because there had been a major re-organisation of roads at a 5 road roundabout. None of my friends were still in the town, all had moved on. The best I could do was visit the mother of my best friend from high school (who had emigrated to Australia)…....
I think this is great advice. ….. Most people will find there that there is no "back" to move back to, because what you left when you emigrated wasn't just "a place" it was also "a time", and things haven't remained frozen in time while you were away. Never mind the recent political upheavals in the UK and whether you think they are good or bad, since you left people have moved, married, divorced, friends and relatives have aged and some may have died, or their circumstances changed, for better or worse; shops have closed, houses and flats built, roads changed.. The fabric of life is in constant flux and if you return expecting things to be just how you left them, you are likely, in most cases, to be disappointed. Which is why, to borrow a phrase from the Australians, the phenomenon of the "ping pong pom" exists - people who "move back" are highly likely to re-emigrate because they failed to rediscover the Britain that they left.
Old May 29th 2019, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think this is great advice. ….. Most people will find there that there is no "back" to move back to, because what you left when you emigrated wasn't just "a place" it was also "a time", and things haven't remained frozen in time while you were away. Never mind the recent political upheavals in the UK and whether you think they are good or bad, since you left people have moved, married, divorced, friends and relatives have aged and some may have died, or their circumstances changed, for better or worse; shops have closed, houses and flats built, roads changed.. The fabric of life is in constant flux and if you return expecting things to be just how you left them, you are likely, in most cases, to be disappointed. Which is why, to borrow a phrase from the Australians, the phenomenon of the "ping pong pom" exists - people who "move back" are highly likely to re-emigrate because they failed to rediscover the Britain that they left.
Obviously all of this is true but I wonder to what extent it's changing. I visit the UK annually or better, I read the British Libtard media. I don't think I'm hugely out of touch with the way of life there and I don't think it would be a shock to move there; I still wouldn't be able to afford a spectacular house. I'm in a different situation to people who moved to Australia by boat and had news only by letter for thirty years. "Cheap" flights and the internet have shrunk the world.
Old May 29th 2019, 2:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously all of this is true but I wonder to what extent it's changing. I visit the UK annually or better, I read the British Libtard media. I don't think I'm hugely out of touch with the way of life there and I don't think it would be a shock to move there; I still wouldn't be able to afford a spectacular house. I'm in a different situation to people who moved to Australia by boat and had news only by letter for thirty years. "Cheap" flights and the internet have shrunk the world.
I'm of a similar view. I travel to the UK frequently and read some of the same media (plus frothing right wing loonacy for reasons of balance and history :-)) Aside from the not being able to afford a house, I think moving back would be relatively straightforward in terms of integrating back life.
Old May 29th 2019, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'm of a similar view. I travel to the UK frequently and read some of the same media (plus frothing right wing loonacy for reasons of balance and history :-)) Aside from the not being able to afford a house, I think moving back would be relatively straightforward in terms of integrating back life.
I was there and in Switzerland in the past couple of weeks, same trip as ever, The only surprise was the same surprise as every year; drivers with spatial awareness. Here I get used to people changing lanes and expecting space to be made in the target lane, there people look for gaps, it's delightful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.