Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fitting in to Canadian Society/Life

Fitting in to Canadian Society/Life

Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fitting in to Canadian Society/Life

Buy a home in a friendly, established community, introduce yourself to neighbours even though you don't really want to, buy/make a firepit and invite people to sit around it with you, buy a serious BBQ and learn how to cook a great steak, buy ice skates, complete a beginner hockey program and join low-level beer league team with clever name, aquire an insatiable thirst for pilsner/kokanee etc, listen to more rock/80's metal, buy a snowboard and learn how to use it, buy mountain bikes and actually take them up a mountain, buy hiking boots and get them dirty, never say no to an invitation to party, never say no to drinks after work, don't bore people by comparing everything to what things are like in Britain, listen to at least one tragically hip album, go to a Corb Lund gig, go get drunk at the Stampede, eat a corn dog and wake up with a hangover and a cowhide in your living room, watch Hockey Night in Canada and learn at least some of the basics of the game, buy Canadian History for Dummies and read it, buy one of those furry caps with ear flaps for shovelling the drive, develop an obsession for a perfect lawn, learn to take your shoes off when you go into a house, never turn down a drink when someone asks. I think that's about it? Worked for me.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:46 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Buy a home in a friendly, established community, introduce yourself to neighbours even though you don't really want to, buy/make a firepit and invite people to sit around it with you, buy a serious BBQ and learn how to cook a great steak, buy ice skates, complete a beginner hockey program and join low-level beer league team with clever name, aquire an insatiable thirst for pilsner/kokanee etc, listen to more rock/80's metal, buy a snowboard and learn how to use it, buy mountain bikes and actually take them up a mountain, buy hiking boots and get them dirty, never say no to an invitation to party, never say no to drinks after work, don't bore people by comparing everything to what things are like in Britain, listen to at least one tragically hip album, go to a Corb Lund gig, go get drunk at the Stampede, eat a corn dog and wake up with a hangover and a cowhide in your living room, watch Hockey Night in Canada and learn at least some of the basics of the game, buy Canadian History for Dummies and read it, buy one of those furry caps with ear flaps for shovelling the drive, develop an obsession for a perfect lawn, learn to take your shoes off when you go into a house, never turn down a drink when someone asks. I think that's about it? Worked for me.
sounds like torture to me
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

I think the book 'How to be a Canadian' springs to mind!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

don't bore people by comparing everything to what things are like in Britain, listen to at least one tragically hip album.
I agree with the first part totally but then again there are some posters on this forum who seem to believe that the natives really care about how things in Canada and not like in Britain.....

Now the 2nd part.... about the Tragically Tragic...there is assimilation and then there is taking it too far.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thank God I don't like people.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

I missed 'buy a giant SUV/truck and drive it really badly'.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I missed 'buy a giant SUV/truck and drive it really badly'.
It won't win you any friends but you'll feel like you fit in.