Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding work...what a nightmare!!!

Finding work...what a nightmare!!!

Old May 23rd 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all
Default Re: Finding work...what a nightmare!!!

I struggled to find work - it really affected my self-esteem as I have always been highly employable but I wasn't even getting interviews.

I have no relevant Canadian experience for the sort of jobs I am qualified for(university/college teaching/management) - I applied for three suitable posts and didn't even get shortlisted despite very good qualifications and lots of UK experience.

I am considered overqualified for office work (although that was my original occupation) but finally got taken on through an agency to temp as an admin assistant. I love the work and it looks like I will get the job permanently but it has been very grudging on the employer's part - they think I am overqualified and will move on quickly.

The reality is that I only want part-time and a stress-free job as I have a UK pension. I am happy to do the temp job on a permanent basis as it is suits me and is well paid.

I fully understand the frustrations experienced by the others in the labour market - I think temp work is a good way of getting Canadian experience and getting in with potential employers - it seems to have worked for me.
Old May 24th 2009, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Where do you find out about these temp agencies or temp work please? I'm usually looking on workopolis etc and have never noticed short term assignments or part time work etc.
Old May 24th 2009, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

Use your phone book and look under Employment Agencies.

The private agencies usually have a base of clients that they work with for temporary and permanent posts - sometimes they also post jobs on the Government Job Search site.