Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding work...what a nightmare!!!

Finding work...what a nightmare!!!

Old May 22nd 2009, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of
Default Finding work...what a nightmare!!!

Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else is having a problem.

I have had nothing but problems in looking for good employment (a career). Although I have a job now (I only came by it via and employment agency after proving myself for three months at the company via the agency), I am not happy and have been looking for the last three months for something else and still had no luck.

It originally took me six months of seeking before I turned to the employment agency, the only other work that I could find was cleaning (not that there is anything wrong with cleaning, I have had many a cleaning position in years past). I have a University degree education, excellent references and loads of work experience from the UK but Canadian employers won't even give me the opportunity of an interview or the time of day in some cases.

I've been working in Canada now for 18 months but that still doesn't seem to count. Has anyone else found that as an Expat, its harder to find a career?? I have even tried taking my qualifications off my resume and re-writing my resume to see if that helped, but nothing. I wouldn't mind if I was going for jobs that were way beyond my capablities or education, but I am only looking for entry level or second level employment.

I hate to say this, but I do feel as though I am being excluded because of my citizenship. Where I work now even seems to do this as I am excluded from training and advancement but they expect me to do more work with no training and no more money.

In the last three months I have applied for 16 jobs and have either heard nothing or received a notice that I was short listed but no interview. I would love to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences, especially in Saskatchewan.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:52 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work...what a nightmare!!!

Canada is different, its not about qualifications and applying for jobs you see, its about networking and getting jobs before they are advertised.

You are probably doing most of the stuff here anyway, but the wiki is worth a look for ideas;
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of friends who sometimes post on here. They both live near Regina but both found jobs and I believe they are happy with them.

I got in touch with Lorna on Facebook, but you could look for LornaD and Alvicsask - or is it Alvicsk -- can't remember - in the members list on here and send them an email. I will see if I can find the correct name for you.

Its AlvicSK.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:32 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was looking around for work I applied for a few jobs, I don't have a degree, nothing really so can't advise you from that side.

I finally got a job working for a big Canadian Retail Store, after pestering the manager

I kept going back in the store and saying that a really wanted the opportunity to work with him. I know, it sounds like arse licking but it got me a job which I think is now leading to more opportunities than I originally thought it would.

It doesn't take that long for the Canadian Manager to see your potential, that if you work hard they do help to push you up the ladder. You have to prove yourself and your worth to them, it sucks but that seems to be the way it is.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough

Hi what type of work are you looking for? Personally I had no trouble finding good work ,Canada is different the personal touch helps a lot speak to the top man ,take him out for a beer,be confident and positive.Canada is a land so full of opportunity its there for the taking good luck !
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:16 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vickysteve
Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else is having a problem.

I have had nothing but problems in looking for good employment (a career). Although I have a job now (I only came by it via and employment agency after proving myself for three months at the company via the agency), I am not happy and have been looking for the last three months for something else and still had no luck.

It originally took me six months of seeking before I turned to the employment agency, the only other work that I could find was cleaning (not that there is anything wrong with cleaning, I have had many a cleaning position in years past). I have a University degree education, excellent references and loads of work experience from the UK but Canadian employers won't even give me the opportunity of an interview or the time of day in some cases.

I've been working in Canada now for 18 months but that still doesn't seem to count. Has anyone else found that as an Expat, its harder to find a career?? I have even tried taking my qualifications off my resume and re-writing my resume to see if that helped, but nothing. I wouldn't mind if I was going for jobs that were way beyond my capablities or education, but I am only looking for entry level or second level employment.

I hate to say this, but I do feel as though I am being excluded because of my citizenship. Where I work now even seems to do this as I am excluded from training and advancement but they expect me to do more work with no training and no more money.

In the last three months I have applied for 16 jobs and have either heard nothing or received a notice that I was short listed but no interview. I would love to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences, especially in Saskatchewan.
I have a lot of canadian friends right now that are not able to find work. It may simply be due to the economy. GM has announced the closure of 250 GM dealerships in Canada.
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice, I have been trying to network a little more but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Your right about proving yourself, everyone seems you to want to prove yourselve first before they give you a job or a hand up the ladder.

There are plenty of jobs in Saskatchewan but you need to know people more than having qualifications...isn't that the truth!!!!
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:02 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I have a lot of canadian friends right now that are not able to find work.
Ditto. I was at an event the other night and there were a lot of concerned (Canadian) students about to graduate into all this too.
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

We arrived in Jan this year and I had an interview with a company within 3 weeks of being here - was really positive and they talked about me starting thefollowing Monday - I heard nothing and they never replied to my phone calls or e-mails so I moved on. THEN this week I have had an e-mail from the company offering me a different position - saying they thought I was over qualified for the first job but wanted me for this one!!! Maybe I will wait a while before replying. Seriously though I am happy with my current job so won't be moving - my point is keep trying and don't give up really 5 months is not a long time in Canada I am led to beleive. Lesley
Old May 23rd 2009, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

I've been looking for work here in Alberta since the beginning of March, although I'm in Leduc and not yet insured on the car which isn't really helping matters.

I've had a few interviews, first interview was at an RV dealership, they invited me back for a second interview, money, start dates, etc were discussed...I never did hear from them again so moved on. I've also interviewed at a few offices and supermarkets, the supermarkets were keen to hire me but they couldn't guarantee me any hours. No-one seems to be too alarmed either about me not being Canadian, the non-Canadian accent if anything usually gets a good conversation going, they usually just wanna know that you have your SIN and are all legal.

I eventually have an interview now on Monday in my line of work (automotive), it's for sales however and I have experience in customer service but it's something I always wanted to do and they seem happy enough with my skills. So hopefully it goes good and I at last get to start work.

It's easy to get discouraged though. I get days of feeling completely useless as my partner has been out working all day and my "work" has been household chores and job search! I'm sure three months of looking for work is nothing though as it can take alot longer!
Old May 23rd 2009, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like what you're doing is pepperdashing a load of jobs that you probably dont have much interest/experience/qualifications in.
(Maybe you are, maybe you arent, I dont know).

However, if thats the case, put yourself in a hiring persons shoes....

If that's not the case, I'd say just keep at it. We're in a recession right now- your bound to struggle, just like everyone else.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Its a bad time to find any job let alone a career if such things exist anymore, I can't say I have ever worked anywhere where I could see working there for more then a few years.

I had my first interview this past week in 6 months for a grocery store, making just over min. wage but it probably wont get much better then that in this economy and in this city..

Just hang in there and eventually the economy will recover.

But it will depend on what you do and where you live, not all skill sets are useful in all areas.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:54 pm

The reality is right now it matters not where you hang your hat, be it OZ the UK, US or Canada. The global economy is in the shitter. I'm afraid we are in for worse before it gets better. Service/ manufacturing based economies are in for a hard time. The US is being particulary hard hit at the minute. Some cities in the US are looking at 15 percent unemployment rates. Of course, certain skills will fare better than others.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
The reality is right now it matters not where you hang your hat, be it OZ the UK, US or Canada. The global economy is in the shitter. I'm afraid we are in for worse before it gets better. Service/ manufacturing based economies are in for a hard time. The US is being particulary hard hit at the minute. Some cities in the US are looking at 15 percent unemployment rates. Of course, certain skills will fare better than others.
12% out here in Chilliwack, BC and that doesn't include those like me who are unemployed but didn't qualify for EI or their EI ran out.

(I was short qualifying hours so I didn't qualify for EI when I was laid off.)
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
12% out here in Chilliwack, BC and that doesn't include those like me who are unemployed but didn't qualify for EI or their EI ran out.

(I was short qualifying hours so I didn't qualify for EI when I was laid off.)
Yep - things are getting ugly:

http://www.economyincrisis.org/articles/show/2562

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.