Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know what shops stock corn meal

Does anybody know what shops stock corn meal

Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future
Default Does anybody know what shops stock corn meal

Hi BE I wondered if anyone would be so kind enough as to advise me on where I can get corn meal as I would very much like to corn bread. I have been into Safeways and no sign of it, I am going to try Sobey's and Superstore later. But if anyone could direct me in the right direction it would make my day. Also if the recipe works out well I post it on BE

Thanks in advance

Rachel
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:31 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anybody know what shops stock corn meal

My suggestion would be Bulk Barn. Pretty sure I have seen it in there - added advantage is that they carry british chocolate - had toffee crisps last week!!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere has it - are you missing it because it says "cornflour" on the box (not to be confused with UK cornflour=Canadian corn starch)?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:38 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amardan
Hi BE I wondered if anyone would be so kind enough as to advise me on where I can get corn meal as I would very much like to corn bread. I have been into Safeways and no sign of it, I am going to try Sobey's and Superstore later. But if anyone could direct me in the right direction it would make my day. Also if the recipe works out well I post it on BE

Thanks in advance

Rachel
I bought some Bob's Red Mill cornmeal from Safeway at Shawnessy - strangely it was with the flax in the cereal aisle .... I also bought some (although this time it was Aunt Jemima/Quaker from Superstore but can't for the life of me remember what aisle it was in.

Good luck - look forward to seeing the recipe - I am quite partial to corn bread.

J
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Everywhere has it - are you missing it because it says "cornflour" on the box (not to be confused with UK cornflour=Canadian corn starch)?
Well I saw boxes with cornstarch on them but thought that was cornflour what we used in the UK to thicken sauces. I was looking at the flour section and couldn't see anything. So does it come in a box and is the label cornflour.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingle
I bought some Bob's Red Mill cornmeal from Safeway at Shawnessy - strangely it was with the flax in the cereal aisle .... I also bought some (although this time it was Aunt Jemima/Quaker from Superstore but can't for the life of me remember what aisle it was in.

Good luck - look forward to seeing the recipe - I am quite partial to corn bread.

J
I would have never thought about looking in the cereal isle but then again they do stock things strangely here
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:45 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amardan

Thanks in advance

Rachel
Cornmeal is cornmeal and not to be confused with cornflour. It's yellow, slightly gritty and makes lovely, tasty muffins, or is used as a coating for other stuff. I used to buy it in Zehrs in the "binned" foods areas where they sell bulk baking ingredients, cereals and dried fruit etc.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:50 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Cornmeal is cornmeal and not to be confused with cornflour. It's yellow, slightly gritty and makes lovely, tasty muffins, or is used as a coating for other stuff. I used to buy it in Zehrs in the "binned" foods areas where they sell bulk baking ingredients, cereals and dried fruit etc.
I bought some last week in superstore. It was in the same aisle as flour and is in a clear plastic bag with red & blue on it, made by Unico.
Hope that helps!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louise033
I bought some last week in superstore. It was in the same aisle as flour and is in a clear plastic bag with red & blue on it, made by Unico.
Hope that helps!
That's great I am going there later and will look out for the description.

Many thanks
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louise033
Hope that helps!
Just another quick question as I want to make refried beans do they also stock black beans or pinto beans at Superstore?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

If you want actual cornmeal (the yellow stuff?) then you can get it pretty much anywhere - I have bought it in Safeways, Co-op, Superstore etc. Sometimes it is listed as Cornmeal, other times it might be Polenta (from memory, this is what it is called in the Co-op, there it is in the isle with the Italian foods, pasta etc). And in Superstore you can also get it in the bulk-buy section where you bag the amount you want up yourself.

If however what you want is Cornflour, it will be called cornstarch, and will be among the baking goods.

And to answer your other question, yes you can buy both pinto and black beans in Superstore (sometimes pre-packaged, sometimes in the bulk-buy section too)
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LotteW
If you want actual cornmeal (the yellow stuff?) then you can get it pretty much anywhere - I have bought it in Safeways, Co-op, Superstore etc. Sometimes it is listed as Cornmeal, other times it might be Polenta (from memory, this is what it is called in the Co-op, there it is in the isle with the Italian foods, pasta etc). And in Superstore you can also get it in the bulk-buy section where you bag the amount you want up yourself.

If however what you want is Cornflour, it will be called cornstarch, and will be among the baking goods.

And to answer your other question, yes you can buy both pinto and black beans in Superstore (sometimes pre-packaged, sometimes in the bulk-buy section too)
Thanks LotteW, yes it is cornmeal I want not cornflour. Great by the sounds of things it looks like I can get everything I want in Superstore. I have never made corn bread before or refried beans, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Wish me luck
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tried to make cornbread without success. It always tastes bitter. I think its the baking powder but am not sure.

Any suggestions??
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

I use this recipe:

Cornbread
6oz cornmeal
6 oz wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs - beaten
1/2 pint milk
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Heat oven - 400F/200C/gas 6.
Mix eggs, honey, milk and vegetable oil together in a jug.
In a bowl mix the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder together.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and stir to mix.
Pour into a greased baking tin (I use a 9" square one) and bake in the oven for 20 mins.
Allow to stand in the tin for 5 mins before serving then cut into squares.

I have never noticed a bitter taste, and this works out pretty well for me.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LotteW
I use this recipe:

Cornbread
6oz cornmeal
6 oz wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs - beaten
1/2 pint milk
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Heat oven - 400F/200C/gas 6.
Mix eggs, honey, milk and vegetable oil together in a jug.
In a bowl mix the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder together.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and stir to mix.
Pour into a greased baking tin (I use a 9" square one) and bake in the oven for 20 mins.
Allow to stand in the tin for 5 mins before serving then cut into squares.

I have never noticed a bitter taste, and this works out pretty well for me.
Thanks, I should have said that I was trying recipes with no gluten flour in them. So corn really, corn flour and corn starch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.