Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fed up Brits should come to Canada - Daily Mail Headline

Fed up Brits should come to Canada - Daily Mail Headline

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed up Brits should come to Canada - Daily Mail Headline

Alas the Canadian media combines parochialism and illiteracy.
There are the odd good bits, I enjoy some of the columnists in MacLeans.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
There are the odd good bits, I enjoy some of the columnists in MacLeans.
Mark Steyn can be amusing, depending on how easily offended you are. LIves in NH I think though, so maybe another casualty of the drift south. Should add that I believe he was educated quite a bit in UK so this might explain the sense of humour.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:43 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Changing the subject slightly, one thing that constantly irritates me about this and many other articles is when they keep banging on about the rates of tax in Canada being higher than the UK.

Yes the top rate of tax in Canada might be 46% whereas in the UK its 40%. Ahh, but wait a minute - what is National Insurance exactly? Its calculated as a percentage of income and its certainly a tax so is that not income tax too? So take your 40% income tax. Then add 11% for Employees National Insurance and you have 51%. Oh, but wait - there is also Employers National Insurance contributions isnt there? Currently 12.8% for the Employers bit; add that to the 51% and you have 64%. Surely that makes for one of the highest rates of taxation in the world?

And then you have to add on 17.5% sales tax on everything you buy (one of the highest sales tax rates in the world) and the fact that over 75% of the cost of petrol is actually tax. No wonder people in the UK are feeling the pinch.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seanyg
Also, I thought Alberta was already straining at the seams from the massive influx of migrants and couldn't cope with any more? I'd heard that the government won't / can't increase the infrastructure and services as it's just not feasible, so why are they suddenly 'short' of people?!
Alberta is still desperate for workers across the board and it's projected it will be for decades rather than years.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:28 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Slapstick - well that's a start. We had slapstick back in 1905, so give them a hundred years or so and they'll get there. The US produces some written humour though - P.J. O'Rourke, Bill Bryson, and many other much more venerable fellows.

In edit - just thought of the guy that wrote Rare Birds. Can't recall name and while not exactly a classic it did make me chuckle in places. Quite cynical.
Gordon Campbell, week in Maui, half a glass of wine (yea right) and a car

Now thats slapstick.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

What I don't understand is how they need people such as cashiers. So basically if you apply to an employer as a cashier you can get over to Canada because it is one of the jobs in demand?

That just doesn't make sense to me??
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
What I don't understand is how they need people such as cashiers. So basically if you apply to an employer as a cashier you can get over to Canada because it is one of the jobs in demand?

That just doesn't make sense to me??

It's simple enough. An advert for a cashier is placed by a store owner or manager who can't find someone to do the job, the idea candidate is probably literate in English, physically attractive and numerate. The immigration quotas are set by the government, if the government did it's best it would likely be wrong and supply whatever was needed five years ago, but it's not doing it's best, it has to pander to voting blocks and so tries to address inequalities in the population by favouring immigrants who don't have the qualities required for a successful cashier.

Thus we have immigrants the government favours driving taxis badly while good quality professional cab drivers can't get it. Illegal immigrants tend to do well because they come with the skills the country actually needs (they'd starve if they had no job) rather than the ones the government prefers.

Inevitably if the government administers something it works less well than if it did not.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:11 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
What I don't understand is how they need people such as cashiers.
When you can earn hundreds a day in the oilsands as unskilled labour, its hardly a suprise no one wants to do a job that pays $8 an hour.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

DebbieK will become famous soon enoughDebbieK will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking of volunteering as a guinea pig to let them prove how easy it is They could then getme to write glowing reports when I move over with no hold ups, find work, a home and all is rosy in my world
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
When you can earn hundreds a day in the oilsands as unskilled labour, its hardly a suprise no one wants to do a job that pays $8 an hour.
I would work in Hollister or Abercrombie for $8 an hour!!!!!!! :-)
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

DebbieK will become famous soon enoughDebbieK will become famous soon enough

Go on, you have to enlighten me why not
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by holly_wood
heheh if only!
oh but it is with a 5-6 year waiting list.

Get me outta here already!!!!
We applied 2004,and arrived 2006 with PR.So it took us less than 2 years.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:44 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kastan
The wait times started to increase as 2004 the applicatons influx continued. In 2003 it was only 18 months. It really is that long now.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Alberta is still desperate for workers across the board and it's projected it will be for decades rather than years.
If this is so which I believe it is, why doesn't the Canadian Govt. do more to get the people they want over ? PNP don't work in Industry, it seems only to work with transit and trades like plumbers etc.

Alberta is fuelled by the Oil and Chemical Industry there. If they leave it too long there will be no people over in the UK to recruit as most of the refineries will have shut or people will be too old to want to move !!

JET
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kastan
Yes it used to take no time at all like Australia. Now it's so long as not to be a viable method of immigration, IMO. I feel they are trying to push the system towards a more US-style job-first thing by making the wait so long that people choose PNP or give up. Which is a shame. I would consider Canada if Australia doesn't work out, but I certainly wouldn't wait 5 years for it. Respect to those who can wait this long!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.