Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fed up Brits should come to Canada - Daily Mail Headline

Fed up Brits should come to Canada - Daily Mail Headline

Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed up Brits should come to Canada - Daily Mail Headline

Last night we watched "The Last King of Scotland". Yes, it's years old but we're out here. The early scenes concern a young man in Scotland who's desperate to leave. He spins a globe and raises a finger "where it lands you go" he says to himself. He looks at where the finger has landed and is bemused "Canada?". He spins again.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
Have you got a link to the article - I can't quite bring myself to visit the DM website in case my brain starts to bleed...
This other article people are talking about was pretty puerile, IMO. It was pretty much what I would expect from the Daily Mail, which I had to make a special and unusual visit to in order to read it. The jokes were lame, and there was a real bitterness running through the whole piece; I guess this guy had a really bad experience in Canada once and never forgot about it.

It was just rubbish, said nothing informative about the country at all, and was replete with asinine and inaccurate generalisations about a country he clearly knows nothing about.

Don't bother reading it. I wish I hadn't.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
This other article people are talking about was pretty puerile, IMO. It was pretty much what I would expect from the Daily Mail, which I had to make a special and unusual visit to in order to read it. The jokes were lame, and there was a real bitterness running through the whole piece; I guess this guy had a really bad experience in Canada once and never forgot about it.

It was just rubbish, said nothing informative about the country at all, and was replete with asinine and inaccurate generalisations about a country he clearly knows nothing about.

Don't bother reading it. I wish I hadn't.

Here here! The article was totally misleading. I posted our experience of our emigration journey and not surprisingly they haven't posted it. Maybe it's because I said that their emigration department is a shambles and there is a 5 year waiting list to get in. I bet their 'fast track' visa section gets clogged up too. Am I bitter about not getting in and wasting 3 years of my b***dy life? You bet I am We were lied to by someone purporting to be a 'visa officer' and all the Canadian government want is your money!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:36 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

They were on GMTV too this morning saying the same thing. It is sickening to think that they are running this campaign and yet doing nothing at all about the people already in the system waiting to be processed.

Their priorities are all wrong - work through the applications they have THEN AND ONLY THEN should they be looking at running a campaign such as this.

All this will do is clog the system even further.

GMTV link for anyone interested - http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=29985
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:37 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Am I bitter about not getting in and wasting 3 years of my b***dy life? You bet I am We were lied to by someone purporting to be a 'visa officer' and all the Canadian government want is your money!

Sorry to hear about you not getting in, I've not read your story but I'm not surprised you are "bitter" I would be too!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heidi_K
They were on GMTV too this morning saying the same thing. It is sickening to think that they are running this campaign and yet doing nothing at all about the people already in the system waiting to be processed.

Their priorities are all wrong - work through the applications they have THEN AND ONLY THEN should they be looking at running a campaign such as this.

I was a little surprised but you have to see it from their point of view: they must recruit to compete with Australia which runs a very efficient and ruthless campaign. Also, when it comes to poaching specifically Brits, Australia, IMO, has to work much less hard because of three imortant reasons - 1) British people are more aware of Australia and its history. It's bigger in their general consciousness. 2) Many more Brits have family/friends in Australia so there is a ready-made link/social network, and 3) the weather is much better. When you see it like this you can see that if the Canadians want to draw Brits to Canada they are going to have to work quite hard, and this is something they have not been doing until very recently.

Furthermore, this government is doing its best to repair a totally incompetent immigration system created by the last inept Liberal Government. It will take time to make those repairs, and in the interim I don't suppose we can expect them simply not to bother trying to sell their nation.

I would agree though that it is a bit of a cheek pulling more people in when so many millions are twiddling their thumbs in the queues, but I think this latest drive is about the PNP.

Last edited by Tableland; Jul 1st 2008 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Gary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really nice

Originally Posted by heidi_K

I totally agree. I watched in amazement as a Canadian official spent her valuable time trying to sell the idea of moving to Canada to us. There are nearly 1 million in a queue that would move tomorrow!!
Send us the bl%$&y visa!

Last edited by Gary and Suzie; Jul 1st 2008 at 9:09 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:01 pm
Banned

Canada Exposed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tableland
It's good that they recognise it though and are taking action to improve it. The alternative would be for them to ignore the problem. From what I read, it looks like changes may take a long time to initiate, and even longer for their effects to be felt in the immigration queues, but it's still progress, after all.
there was another more positive article in the the Daily Mail....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...to-Canada.html

Last edited by Canada Exposed; Jul 1st 2008 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Canada Exposed
there was another article in the Guardian by a well known New York Correspondent

You have a link to that?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:39 pm
Banned

Canada Exposed is an unknown quantity at this point

These articles must be a lie though, isnt the grass greener in Canada? at least this time of the year?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:12 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Exposed
there was another more positive article in the the Daily Mail....

Working for the Daily Mail makes you incapable of writing anything positive about anything. They've actually run out of topics on the UK so they've turned to other countries. Im so sick of the media here in England. Its like living in a nut house full of manic depressives.

Last edited by Londonuck; Jul 2nd 2008 at 12:22 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Im so sick of the media here in England. Its like living a nut house full of manic depressives.
Alas the Canadian media combines parochialism and illiteracy. It features endless turgid prose concerning how some tiny aspect of life in Canada is better than in the USA and precious little else. One misses the wit and panache of even the Super Soaraway Sun.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Working for the Daily Mail makes you incapable of writing anything positive about anything. They've actually run out of topics on the UK so they've turned to other countries. Im so sick of the media here in England. Its like living a nut house full of manic depressives.
It's weird isn't it? Are the Brits just inveterate whiners, or is Britain really all that crap? Hard to tell, though I favour the former as life in the UK isn't too bad at all when you stop to think about it.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Alas the Canadian media combines parochialism and illiteracy. It features endless turgid prose concerning how some tiny aspect of life in Canada is better than in the USA and precious little else. One misses the wit and panache of even the Super Soaraway Sun.
Canada's famous insecurity issues vis-a-vis the US is unfortunate. For along time the Australians had the same conditin but with the poms instead, although I think this trend is going into 180 degree reversal at the mo.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One certainly does! I've struggled to find any newspaper here that will hold my interest so I frequently end up reading the UK newspapers online if for nothing more than amusement value. They were and are a much better read than anything thats available over here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.