Default Fed up Brits should come to Canada - Daily Mail Headline

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments

And they make it all sound so easy ...
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:05 pm
Banned

holly_wood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fed up Brits should come to Canada - Daily Mail Headline

heheh if only!
oh but it is with a 5-6 year waiting list.

Get me outta here already!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

wish it was that easy the wait goes on
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rufus2000
wish it was that easy the wait goes on
Interesting article but not very accurate - what's this about getting 'fast-tracked'?? Petrol's 70p a litre, not 58p. Albertan housing is amongst the most expensive in Canada, and unless you come from London you'll be struggling to afford it (our house over here would be swapped for a shoebox in Alberta for the same price). And we looked at jobs Sean could do in Alberta (which seemed to be the main subject of the article) and his wages certainly aren't any higher! Also, I thought Alberta was already straining at the seams from the massive influx of migrants and couldn't cope with any more? I'd heard that the government won't / can't increase the infrastructure and services as it's just not feasible, so why are they suddenly 'short' of people?!

Good article all the same though. Don't mean to sound critical but it just makes me laugh when the newspapers make it sound so easy to 'escape' from this island!

Anita :-)
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:26 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that really the headline on the print version of the paper too?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

yeah it is printed too front page today
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:35 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rufus2000
yeah it is printed too front page today
How bizarre! Maybe because it's Canada Day?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:51 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
How bizarre! Maybe because it's Canada Day?
That is what I just said to my husband.

Also the Mail are UK bashing on every level at the moment, I'm convinced that the papers are bringing consumer confidence even lower and have contributed massively to the downfall of the housing market, but, I'll hop off my soapbox now.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

By fast track, I presume they mean PNP. Still didn't mention that you need to sit exams and have lots of spondoolas to be able to do so for healthcare jobs. They make it sound you like just apply and get welcomed with open arms and a huge salary
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

I was amazed when I saw this headline on the front page of the mail today. I haven't read the article but I can imagine that lots of DM readers will find their way to Expats and cite 'immigration' as the main reason they want to leave the UK.

I agree that the DM is UK-bashing, but that is because it sells the paper so there are plenty of people who agree with it. Personally I think it is one of the most loathsomly misoginistic and racist papers ever so I hate it with a passion.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
Interesting article but not very accurate - what's this about getting 'fast-tracked'?? Petrol's 70p a litre, not 58p. Albertan housing is amongst the most expensive in Canada, and unless you come from London you'll be struggling to afford it (our house over here would be swapped for a shoebox in Alberta for the same price). And we looked at jobs Sean could do in Alberta (which seemed to be the main subject of the article) and his wages certainly aren't any higher! Also, I thought Alberta was already straining at the seams from the massive influx of migrants and couldn't cope with any more? I'd heard that the government won't / can't increase the infrastructure and services as it's just not feasible, so why are they suddenly 'short' of people?!

Good article all the same though. Don't mean to sound critical but it just makes me laugh when the newspapers make it sound so easy to 'escape' from this island!

Anita :-)
I read this article (the online version) and the guy was smoothing over a few things. He said there's not that much snow in southern Alberta. I think that is being rather economical with the truth as there's plenty of snow in Montana. Also, the house prices in AB are over-valued (for now). I think fast-track must have referred to PNP as well. Typical half-arsed DM didn't actually get round to explaining the fast-track bit. In answer to your point about AB already being inundated, etc., from the Government's perspective there are immigrants and there are immigrants. Britain is always heavily mined for potential Canadian/Australian new waves as Brits speak the language and come from a similar culture, so they sort of know what to expect and I think the idea is they are supposed to integrate with the locals faster. Whether they do or not I have no idea.

I do know that Australia has gone on a massive drive to poach Brits and I suspect Canada is trying to compete with that. The two nations always compete for immigrants of course and bot have so much to offer. I read some Canadian government reports, I don't know, maybe last year now, and they specifically referred to Australia's superior immigration system and how Canada had to do more to poach skilled immigrants.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
I read this article (the online version) and the guy was smoothing over a few things. He said there's not that much snow in southern Alberta. I think that is being rather economical with the truth as there's plenty of snow in Montana. Also, the house prices in AB are over-valued (for now). I think fast-track must have referred to PNP as well. Typical half-arsed DM didn't actually get round to explaining the fast-track bit. In answer to your point about AB already being inundated, etc., from the Government's perspective there are immigrants and there are immigrants. Britain is always heavily mined for potential Canadian/Australian new waves as Brits speak the language and come from a similar culture, so they sort of know what to expect and I think the idea is they are supposed to integrate with the locals faster. Whether they do or not I have no idea.

I do know that Australia has gone on a massive drive to poach Brits and I suspect Canada is trying to compete with that. The two nations always compete for immigrants of course and bot have so much to offer. I read some Canadian government reports, I don't know, maybe last year now, and they specifically referred to Australia's superior immigration system and how Canada had to do more to poach skilled immigrants.

I remember the ad campaign that Australian immigration ran last year - very aggressive I seem to remember, directly comparing the idyll of Australia with the hell that is the UK. They ran in all the broadsheets as I recall, plus used some billboards around the cities. I'm sure it must have ruffled some diplomatic feathers, and this must be doing the same.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:50 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tableland
I read some Canadian government reports, I don't know, maybe last year now, and they specifically referred to Australia's superior immigration system and how Canada had to do more to poach skilled immigrants.
Correct, it's massively insuperior to the Australian system (though to the benefit of a lot of people on here) - they're currently going through a revamp to make it more "Australian like", but as yet, no one has details on what the exact implications of this will be.....
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G77
Correct, it's massively insuperior to the Australian system (though to the benefit of a lot of people on here) - they're currently going through a revamp to make it more "Australian like", but as yet, no one has details on what the exact implications of this will be.....
'Insuperior' huh?

I think the new system will be designed to root out unsuitable applicants much earlier in the process and fast track the applicants with skills that are actually in demand.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
It's good that they recognise it though and are taking action to improve it. The alternative would be for them to ignore the problem. From what I read, it looks like changes may take a long time to initiate, and even longer for their effects to be felt in the immigration queues, but it's still progress, after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.