Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

Originally Posted by Aviator
It would be impractical and costly (in the end to the consumer) if the retailer had to handle returns.
And yet, this manages to somehow be standard practice in Europe.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Product warranties are provided by and administered by the manufacturer, not the retailer. It would be impractical and costly (in the end to the consumer) if the retailer had to handle returns.
I hate when people make excuses for poor practices. The OP bought the item from Staples, not from the manufacturer.

A product breaking within 2 months shouldn't really be considered as a warranty issue, and all Staples have done, IMO, is ensure the customer wont buy an electrical item from them again in the future. It would have cost them hardly anything at all to replace the faulty part.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 9:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
...but not in North America.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:34 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but not because it's costly and impractical. They act like this because it's not illegal and can get away with it. Consumer protection is one of those things that the EU gets right.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but not because it's costly and impractical. They act like this because it's not illegal and can get away with it. Consumer protection is one of those things that the EU gets right.
As is employment regulation.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:42 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Did you pay by credit card?
I know ours gives us extended warranty on stuff purchased with it.

Worth a look. One of the reasons I buy everything on the credit card, never debit
Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Strange to say that. I have used Asus products for years and never, ever had any sort of problem. I also have an Acer laptop and if you want rubbish Acer is just that. I wouldn't ever buy an Acer product again, no matter how good a deal it appeared to be. I would certainly buy Asus again.
I have had an Acer laptop for 3 years now, it has been great. I also have one at a Sales Centre that I own which is used by several different people (general recipe for disaster I think for laptops) it has been there for the past 2 years and no problems. My 13 year old also has one and so far no issues there yet either. So I guess sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Did you pay by credit card?
I know ours gives us extended warranty on stuff purchased with it.

Worth a look. One of the reasons I buy everything on the credit card, never debit
I used a credit card and they offer cover if the manufacturer refuse to offer reasonable support. I think Asus will resolve the problem, but what a palaver.

Hail John Lewis
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:55 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I hate when people make excuses for poor practices. The OP bought the item from Staples, not from the manufacturer.
I agree

I'm not overly familiar with consumer rights in Canada, but when we land we will buy a new vehicle from a ford outlet/dealer/franchise (whatever the correct terminology is).

Judging from the treatment the OP has received from Staples (probably an appointed Asus sales outlet) and taking into account comments quoted below..

Consumer rights are hard to enforce.

....Product warranties are provided by and administered by the manufacturer, not the retailer. It would be impractical and costly (in the end to the consumer) if the retailer had to handle returns. The only time they do this is when you buy extended warranty, which in my view are a waste of money. Any tech stuff I have had has had warranty dealt with by the manufacturer, usually very expediently.
If you buy a car from a Ford franchise/outlet in North America, and (say) after 14 days the alternator fails. In law can they simply step out of the loop and tell you to deal directly with Ford to fix the problem? Do ford then tell you that they are not the manufacturer of the alternator and you need to go to the alternator manufacturer for service? I suppose I am asking where does the buck stop?

The concept is a little worrying

Last edited by james.mc; Nov 5th 2012 at 11:24 am.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
tbqfh, buying Asus is asking for bother!
The ASUS laptop I am using now is probably the best laptop I have had - and I have had them all from Dells , HP's Toshibas etc
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justkidding
My philosophy is buy from Costco whenever possible.
+1

When it comes to computers they're all much of muchness so it's the support that counts. Buying whichever one Costco has this week is the way to go.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
I agree

I'm not overly familiar with consumer rights in Canada, but when we land we will buy a new vehicle from a ford outlet/dealer/franchise (whatever the correct terminology is).

If you buy a car from a Ford franchise/outlet in North America, and (say) after 14 days the alternator fails. In law can they simply step out of the loop and tell you to deal directly with Ford to fix the problem? Do ford then tell you that they are not the manufacturer of the alternator and you need to go to the alternator manufacturer for service? I suppose I am asking where does the buck stop?

The concept is a little worrying
We've bought a couple of Dodges, and the local dealerships have been very good. Maybe the difference is that Staples don't have trained ASUS technicians on site, whereas your local dealership would be the people undertaking any repairs to your vehicle anyway on behalf of the manufacturer. They do repairs, servicing, recalls, warranty etc.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:37 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
We've bought a couple of Dodges, and the local dealerships have been very good. Maybe the difference is that Staples don't have trained ASUS technicians on site, whereas your local dealership would be the people undertaking any repairs to your vehicle anyway on behalf of the manufacturer. They do repairs, servicing, recalls, warranty etc.
Cheers. Good point too.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:42 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

My Asus powder compact works fine and it's great when travelling.

Customer service varies widely. Philips were stellar when our electronic toothbrush packed up a week shy of its 2-year warranty expiration. No quibbles. A single phonecall resulted in a new one being couriered to us, along with a pre-paid courier envelope for the old one.

Sears, on the other hand, are crap. That newly acquired treadmill will be sitting in my garage for some time to come.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like the Ontario Sale of Goods Act may provide some remedy here:

http://www.canadiantiresucks.net/gen....html#post2415

It might be that you have to go to the small claims court to make it happen of course. Which is probably way more hassle than just dealing with the manufacturer direct under warranty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.