Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

Old Nov 3rd 2012, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

We purchased a laptop from Staples two months ago. Yesterday the power cable stopped working, so we decided to take the laptop back to Staples because it came with a one year warranty.

Staples explained that their policy is to replace the laptop if returned within 14 days to the store. Because it's outside this period, we would need to return the cable, at our own expense, to the manufacturer based in Ontario.

If the fault was with the laptop itself, we would also be required to send the unit ourselves to Ontario.

I know that in the UK if I returned laptop to say, John Lewis, they would sort this problem out for me.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue with a retailer? and do I have any rights?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

Yeah Stooples and other stores/shops have a 14/30 day return policy. Was it second hand?

Contact the manufacturer, they may send you one for free.
Otherwise:
Two pin:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5FT-US-Plug-2...5cc392e&_uhb=1

Three pin:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/US-3-Prong-La...27f4e9e&_uhb=1

Good luck
Old Nov 4th 2012, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

What make is it? I bought a Toshiba laptop from Staples and within three months the hard drive failed. I had to deal with Toshiba directly and they had a local repair company that they use. So I didn't have to send it away.

So I would call up the maker.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Consumer rights are pretty bad here. I had issue ages ago with a bluetooth headset that didn't work when i got it home. The shop refused point blank to replace or credit it, saying i had to sort it with the manufacturer as thats where the warranty was. The manufacturer was in California and wanted the old one sending back!
I did get them to send replacement and a returns envelope with it so no cost to me in the end but lots of hassle and a delay of several days and all the time the shop had my money but was adamant it wasn't their problem as it was apparently a "final sale" on the product even though it wasn't "on sale" if that makes any sense at all.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies. For the record, the brand is Asus, and the only repair centre in Canada is based in Ontario. Apart from viewing the product before purchase, I can't see the benefit of buying from Staples.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Yeah Stooples and other stores/shops have a 14/30 day return policy. Was it second hand?

Contact the manufacturer, they may send you one for free.
Otherwise:
Two pin:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5FT-US-Plug-2...5cc392e&_uhb=1

Three pin:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/US-3-Prong-La...27f4e9e&_uhb=1

Good luck
Thanks for the links. The laptop was new, but this is our 3rd Asus within a year, maybe it was a sign, but was won over by the spec.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

tbqfh, buying Asus is asking for bother!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:54 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
tbqfh, buying Asus is asking for bother!
Strange to say that. I have used Asus products for years and never, ever had any sort of problem. I also have an Acer laptop and if you want rubbish Acer is just that. I wouldn't ever buy an Acer product again, no matter how good a deal it appeared to be. I would certainly buy Asus again.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:59 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

As per previous posters maybe call up Asus. They might allow you to drop it off and collect a replacement locally?

I've used Asus before and not had any issues. Does sound like a duff PSU so hopefully a one off.

In the interim, if it's stopping you charging your laptop and getting any use out of it at all, I'd maybe resort to buying an after market power supply from Future Shop or a similar outlet?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Asus product quality isn't bad tbh. They've become are a major brand in the tech industry
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Discussion is getting a little off topic. OP asked about his consumer rights, not the pro's and con's of a brand of laptop he's already purchased.

To the OP, your best bet is to call the manufacturer, and see if they'll simply send you a new cable. I would be surprised if they gave you much grief.

You can make an enquiry with the BBB too, and perhaps they can shed some light on whatever rights you may have.

Finally, I always like to take the opportunity for a little plug (pardon the pun), but Legal Expense insurance is still very new here, so most dont know it's available. Had you had a policy, you could have called a lawyer for free and potentially even sued Staples (perhaps a little extreme in these circumstances, but you get the point).
Old Nov 4th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I've had the same thing with faulty goods. The retailer generally won't help and sends you to the manufacturer. The manufacturers are usually pretty good about it, but it's a hassle you didn't sign up for when you bought something that should do what it says on the tin.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Spot on with suggestion about looking to purchase a power cable. We're looking into this option.

Come Monday, I'll contact the manufacturer, the Asus warranty implies that returns are at my own expense, and then processing times are up to 3 weeks, before they post out a replacement cable.

I'm so used to the service from UK retailers I never thought to ask whether Staples would sort out any problems that arose within the warranty period, I took it as a given.

When we asked Staples for an Asus support contact number, they struggled to find one.

Also I'll keep in mind that before I purchase any other items of technology, I'll find out where the nearest repair centre is.

Staples also offer a return period on computers, during which time you're able to use the product, and still get your money back if not satisfied. This may explain the second laptop we had, where Microsoft packages were already loaded. We had a used product which was probably previously returned because it was faulty.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Consumer rights are hard to enforce. http://www.consumerprotectionbc.ca/

I find a mention on the companies Facebook page of my dissatisfaction often works wonders. Speak to the mechanic, not the oily rag, go to the top, I have e-mailed senior execs of some of the companies, also with good results.

Complaining is about where you direct the complaint, how you go about it and how much time it is work spending on it.

Product warranties are provided by and administered by the manufacturer, not the retailer. It would be impractical and costly (in the end to the consumer) if the retailer had to handle returns. The only time they do this is when you buy extended warranty, which in my view are a waste of money. Any tech stuff I have had has had warranty dealt with by the manufacturer, usually very expediently.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 4th 2012 at 4:57 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

My philosophy is buy from Costco whenever possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.