Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faulty laptop from Staples - what are consumer rights?

Originally Posted by haggis88
tbqfh, buying Asus is asking for bother!
Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Strange to say that. I have used Asus products for years and never, ever had any sort of problem. I also have an Acer laptop and if you want rubbish Acer is just that. I wouldn't ever buy an Acer product again, no matter how good a deal it appeared to be. I would certainly buy Asus again.
We have two Asus, both bought from a local electronics store and had a two year warranty with both. One year accidental damage. We haven't had to use either though as both have been fine.

Avoid the big chains etc if you can and go with local service.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:23 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Strange to say that. I have used Asus products for years and never, ever had any sort of problem. I also have an Acer laptop and if you want rubbish Acer is just that. I wouldn't ever buy an Acer product again, no matter how good a deal it appeared to be. I would certainly buy Asus again.
+1...Im pretty sure if you rearrange the letters in ACER it comes out as crap or shit or maybe its both
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bats
We have two Asus, both bought from a local electronics store and had a two year warranty with both. One year accidental damage. We haven't had to use either though as both have been fine.

Avoid the big chains etc if you can and go with local service.
Why?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
I agree

I'm not overly familiar with consumer rights in Canada, but when we land we will buy a new vehicle from a ford outlet/dealer/franchise (whatever the correct terminology is).

Judging from the treatment the OP has received from Staples (probably an appointed Asus sales outlet) and taking into account comments quoted below..

If you buy a car from a Ford franchise/outlet in North America, and (say) after 14 days the alternator fails. In law can they simply step out of the loop and tell you to deal directly with Ford to fix the problem? Do ford then tell you that they are not the manufacturer of the alternator and you need to go to the alternator manufacturer for service? I suppose I am asking where does the buck stop?

The concept is a little worrying
The issue the OP has is which a reseller, not a franchised dealer. Ford, GM, Toyota dealers are franchised by the manufacturers, which is why they have service departments and carry out warranty works as well as non warranty. The manufacturer ultimately authorizes the repair as warranty, if they decline warranty, then you may end up dealing direct with the manufacturer.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:53 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
The issue the OP has is which a reseller, not a franchised dealer. Ford, GM, Toyota dealers are franchised by the manufacturers, which is why they have service departments and carry out warranty works as well as non warranty. The manufacturer ultimately authorizes the repair as warranty, if they decline warranty, then you may end up dealing direct with the manufacturer.
Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2012, 6:46 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Why?
in my experience the service is better, ie they will send the laptop back to the manufacturer. The same networking lark that gets you jobs and business can also put you out of business, word spreads fast in these small towns. Prices aren't necessarily any cheaper in the big box stores either.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
in my experience the service is better, ie they will send the laptop back to the manufacturer. The same networking lark that gets you jobs and business can also put you out of business, word spreads fast in these small towns. Prices aren't necessarily any cheaper in the big box stores either.
Yet, you can take a product back to Costco without a receipt and they'll replace it/refund you without any aggro.
I did that recently with a Keurig coffee machine I bought over a year ago, and I didn't have a receipt. They could track it from my costco membership card.

How do you know your local store will treat you any better than Staples, if you've not had to use them re your laptops yet?

From a personal perspective, if my laptop is on the blink, I dont want it being sent off to the manufacturer to be looked at- I cannot afford to be without it for that long. For other domestic items, I just want a new one- the money spent on postage, etc will often exceed the price of the product anyway.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Yet, you can take a product back to Costco without a receipt and they'll replace it/refund you without any aggro.
I did that recently with a Keurig coffee machine I bought over a year ago, and I didn't have a receipt. They could track it from my costco membership card.

How do you know your local store will treat you any better than Staples, if you've not had to use them re your laptops yet?

From a personal perspective, if my laptop is on the blink, I dont want it being sent off to the manufacturer to be looked at- I cannot afford to be without it for that long. For other domestic items, I just want a new one- the money spent on postage, etc will often exceed the price of the product anyway.
I find often local retailers don't look after you better than chain retailers. Their practices are even more restrictive, no 30 day satisfaction guarantee for example.

Costco only give 90 days on many electronics, then you deal with the manufacturer. Costco don't handle any warranty issues.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant future

Really. Did you buy some sort of additional warranty plan along with product?

Am not sure about Costco..... But have noticed at futureshop, best buy & staples that you can purchase 1/2/3/4 yr "store warranty" along with product. The store will replace faulty product if you have the plan.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by lovely_clouds
Am not sure about Costco..... But have noticed at futureshop, best buy & staples that you can purchase 1/2/3/4 yr "store warranty" along with product. The store will replace faulty product if you have the plan.
Costco guarantee every product they sell with your money back, and generously. Electronics are 90 day limit. No additional cost, but you have to be a member to shop there, items are not always the most up to date, but who cares about that. They are not good for everything though, you have to know what you are shopping for to get the best value. As always, shop smart, which many don't.

Before you pay for one, look at the consumer reports! The mark ups are huge, I have never bought one and never once regretted not buying one. I just think of all the money I saved and spent on things i wanted or thought I needed.

The odds are stacked in the stores favour not the consumers, otherwise they would not offer such a thing. More ways to part the nervous shopper from their cash!

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 5th 2012 at 7:28 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:32 pm
limey party pooper

We use Costco too, we bought a Miele vacuum cleaner, cheapest price there and the warranty, but not after I'd looked at other places for that make.

How do I know? Tales such as the OPs, past experience, others saying the same thing. It's hard work trying to get any sense out of Future Shop and Staples. We needed a new power cable for the old laptop, FS and Staples were charging well over a hundred when the local store sorted one out for much less. We went back to buy the laptop. On sale, much cheaper.

Costco doesn't always sell what you want/need. I agree it's an easy place to take stuff back. The Miele had to go back after a few months and like you we had lost the receipt, they exchanged it with no problems.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lovely_clouds
Really. Did you buy some sort of additional warranty plan along with product?

No, I don't believe in additional warranties. They're usually priced in such a way that suggests there's a 1 in 4 chance of them breaking down within the warranty period. I prefer to have more confidence in what I buy, otherwise I wouldn't buy it in the first place. Occasionally, products have been faulty, it usually happens quickly (within the 30 days) or after a few years when they need replacing.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Aviator
Costco guarantee every product they sell with your money back, and generously. Electronics are 90 day limit. No additional cost, but you have to be a member to shop there, items are not always the most up to date, but who cares about that. They are not good for everything though, you have to know what you are shopping for to get the best value. As always, shop smart, which many don't.

Before you pay for one, look at the consumer reports! The mark ups are huge, I have never bought one and never once regretted not buying one. I just think of all the money I saved and spent on things i wanted or thought I needed.

The odds are stacked in the stores favour not the consumers, otherwise they would not offer such a thing. More ways to part the nervous shopper from their cash!
Checked the Costco website just now.... That's way they say :

The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.
Coffee maker / kitchen electronics is not in the list. That may answer how Jericho got refund/replacement.

What about furniture? Is there any timeline on such items?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, I don't believe in additional warranties. They're usually priced in such a way that suggests there's a 1 in 4 chance of them breaking down within the warranty period. I prefer to have more confidence in what I buy, otherwise I wouldn't buy it in the first place. Occasionally, products have been faulty, it usually happens quickly (within the 30 days) or after a few years when they need replacing.
+1 agree... Costco too gets +1 from me

Last edited by lovely_clouds; Nov 5th 2012 at 7:40 pm. Reason: .
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a TV from future shop when I arrived. It was about $2k which was a good price for the model I was looking at - not quite the cheapest, but they included delivery and I didn't have to wait. As I was buying it, the guy offered me an extra 2 year warranty and when I asked how much he said $600. I actually laughed before I said no. The price then went to $300, then $150, then $100, until he finally got the message. I don't mind people trying it on - but even I was surprised by how much he was willing to rip me off by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.