Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton - living without access to a car

Edmonton - living without access to a car

Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice
Default Re: Edmonton - living without access to a car

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
far better rates if you ask around or neg a deal with other parking lots they are ten a penny in the downtown
Is that the norm over there, or does everyone either get the bus or get parking provided with their offices?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:06 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazydaving
Is that the norm over there, or does everyone either get the bus or get parking provided with their offices?
Depends what you do..my office wasn't downtown but i had my own reserved parking space and many offices downtown have reserved free spaces for their workers.

We had a site downtown and negotiated a deal with impark for offsite parking and a much reduced rate.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

JamesRR is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks John and Nikki, really appreciate your responses, there is some positive feedback that is uplifting. Winter gear will definitely be bought but will visit shops and hopefully get some sound advice on what to get.

Sorry to sound negative, but I would seriously have a re-think if I was in your shoes. Why would you uproot yourself and move to a new country, where you know no one, with all the cost and stress that is entailed, to live in an area where you cannot afford a car and can only afford a room share?
It seems like a lot of effort for absolutely no reward.

Who said I didn’t know anyone here, nor can I afford a car? I in fact want to live within a budget considering I currently have no employment upon arrival, to make best with the resources I have.
Also, I am not limited to Edmonton but aim to stay within this and surrounding areas for work, this I will need a rental and the option can be accommodated for within my contingency budget.

People, generally speaking, wouldnt chose to live in Edmonton. They put up with it because the money is good (usually).

That’s what Im there for. Work work work, bring it!

To answer your question re public transport, in Edmonton it's really a commuter system ie/ to get people to and from downtown Edmonton. Getting anywhere else is a ball ache, and time consuming.
It's incomparable to the public transport you might be used to in the UK, and is definitely not designed or intended to be a replacement for owning a car.

There seems to be a mixed response, but yours is definitely an eye opener when approaching from a negative stance for not comfortably living in Edmonton without own transport.

Thanks for your responses and time everyone.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

You can live in Edmonton without a car if you have a simple trip to work, e.g. bus route without change.

The cold is not an issue if you are young and fit - commonsense clothing (scarf wrapped over face + toque) and a brisk walk will see it off on most days.