Reload this Page >

Edmonton - living without access to a car

Edmonton - living without access to a car

Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

JamesRR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Edmonton - living without access to a car

Hello all, I hope youre well.

Ive decided to move to Edmonton but will be without my own car.

Are any of you in this situation, travelling to/from work and also in town using the LRT and/or bus system?

What are your experiences and recommendations for getting around Edmonton for work and pleasure please?

Also especially during the colder periods?

Many thanks in advance for your help and time.

James
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Edmonton - living without access to a car

I spent 3 years in Edmonton, and used public transport to get to/from work sometimes.

My advice? Get a car.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

JamesRR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Jericho.

A car will of course be the best bet but during at least your first year of using public transport, would you say it was a very bad system and caused my hassle than good or was it just enough for you to get to and from work?

Id be happy with the latter, but any advice on areas to live? My budget is set at 600 bucks pcm for a room share so this will determine where I can stay.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

i spent last winter in Saskatoon without a car, luckily it was one of the mildest winters they have had but waiting for a bus in -40 with the wind chill is not much fun. You don't want to be outside for more than 10 min at a time the cold is unreal its not like a day skiing where you stick a hat and gloves on and you are fine.

My advice would be get somewhere less that a 10-15 min walk from your work this is far better than standing still at a bus stop or go out and invest in some serious winter gear cos you will need it.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesRR
Hello all, I hope youre well.

Ive decided to move to Edmonton but will be without my own car.

Are any of you in this situation, travelling to/from work and also in town using the LRT and/or bus system?

What are your experiences and recommendations for getting around Edmonton for work and pleasure please?

Also especially during the colder periods?

Many thanks in advance for your help and time.

James
So long as you don't want to leave Edmonton probalby would work. To my mind, living in Canada without a vehicle would be much like being a prisoner.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JamesRR
Thank you Jericho.

A car will of course be the best bet but during at least your first year of using public transport, would you say it was a very bad system and caused my hassle than good or was it just enough for you to get to and from work?

Id be happy with the latter, but any advice on areas to live? My budget is set at 600 bucks pcm for a room share so this will determine where I can stay.
Sorry to sound negative, but I would seriously have a re-think if I was in your shoes. Why would you uproot yourself and move to a new country, where you know no one, with all the cost and stress that is entailed, to live in an area where you cannot afford a car and can only afford a room share?
It seems like a lot of effort for absolutely no reward.

People, generally speaking, wouldnt chose to live in Edmonton. They put up with it because the money is good (usually). It doesnt sound like you're gonna be earning much at all, and life in Canada aint no fun when you're poor. It definitely aint no fun when it's -40 outside and there's snow on the ground from December through to May/June.

To answer your question re public transport, in Edmonton it's really a commuter system ie/ to get people to and from downtown Edmonton. Getting anywhere else is a ball ache, and time consuming.
It's incomparable to the public transport you might be used to in the UK, and is definitely not designed or intended to be a replacement for owning a car.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

I would say to make sure you live close to work, Transit is cheap during work rush hrs, (time limit on ticket) however if you live too far away you may well need to take 2-3 busses,

Yes you can live and get around without a car, i know many who do, but they also make good use of freinds to go any distance.

you can pick up and run a car quite trip if you are only loking to travel in and around town, but once you go out of town in winter better make sure its a good working car.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice

How does it work over there, Edmontonians? Public transport seems OK, and I'll have to go for it to get to downtown. Everyone says "use a car" - but parking costs about $200/month! Compared to an $80 bus pass...?? Anyone got tips about parking around Jasper Ave......?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazydaving
How does it work over there, Edmontonians? Public transport seems OK, and I'll have to go for it to get to downtown. Everyone says "use a car" - but parking costs about $200/month! Compared to an $80 bus pass...?? Anyone got tips about parking around Jasper Ave......?
Dont leave any valuables in your car There again depending on the type of car you might just return and find it has been borrowed by a local towing company or a gang of joyriders who dont have driving licences so therefore cannot go into a dealership and take a test drive.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Dont leave any valuables in your car There again depending on the type of car you might just return and find it has been borrowed by a local towing company or a gang of joyriders who dont have driving licences so therefore cannot go into a dealership and take a test drive.
Thanks for that I was also wondering what the parking situation is like; I've heard from relatives that its pretty bad and they advised to get the bus. But like it was said above, the prospect of wondering around at a bus stop in -40c windchill...
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:44 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Who told you it costs $200/month to park downtown in Edmonton
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazydaving
Thanks for that I was also wondering what the parking situation is like; I've heard from relatives that its pretty bad and they advised to get the bus. But like it was said above, the prospect of wondering around at a bus stop in -40c windchill...
Many immigrants or temporary residents cannot comprehend what a minus 40C wind chill is until they physically experience it. They arrive here and dress like they would at home for a winter day. Having experienced this myself and the macho attitude of I dont need a hat or gloves as its sunny out and it cant be that cold well you soon freaking learn that lesson.
Im now at that stage where the fashion sense and image has gone completely out of the window. If its minus 40C outside Im dressing for it regardless of how much of a dork I might look like.
Hat, toque or head cover is a must. Even 7-11 clerks are used to people entering their stores wearing balaclavas and not scared or thinking they are about to be held up.
Multiple layers of clothing or a snow goose type parka, gloves, mitts or anything to cover your hands. Winter boots no stylish Calvin Klein shoes.
Sure you might look like the Michelin man but who gives a rats ass as long as you are warm.
It does suck though when waiting at the bus stop and the bus never arrives as its broken down because of the cold
Obviously the Vancouverites or BC people will say Im exagerrating or themselves cannot comprehend what minus 40C is
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I either imagined it or glanced over something on the Parkopedia site
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Like he said maybe this link and it has their rates basically from $130 to over $200. He wants Jasper Ave are.

http://en.parkopedia.ca/parking/edmonton/
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:17 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Like he said maybe this link and it has their rates basically from $130 to over $200. He wants Jasper Ave are.

http://en.parkopedia.ca/parking/edmonton/
far better rates if you ask around or neg a deal with other parking lots they are ten a penny in the downtown

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.