Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving License

Driving License

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:18 am
Just Joined

joanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the rough
Default Driving License

Hi we have moved to Calgary from the channel Islands and have been to crowfoot plates to exchange our license. They have told us that they don;t reconize the channel Islands as a valid place and therefore we have to go back to being learner drivers. I have been drivng for 20 years and object to this!! Anyone shed any light on this??????
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:26 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License

"A valid licence from Austria, Belgium, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (excluding Northern Ireland) can be exchanged for a Class 5 when the applicant is presenting a valid licence of equivalent class. A Class 6 operator's licence shall be issued to valid Swiss Class A, A1 licence and a Japanese International driver's licence which permits the holder to operate a motorcycle. All other classes requested would require testing and must provide applicable medical and vision screening. All applicants must present immigration and residency documentation and acceptable identification ."

Found this statement on the Government of Alberta site. I thought the Channel Isles were part of the UK but can see that Norther Ireland is excluded - weird really.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:28 am
Just Joined

joanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the rough

thanks this is what we thought and normally it says excluding northern Ireland and channel islands. wonder if i should try another office
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:35 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE I don't think you are just going to exchange the licence, each province has different rules. In Saskatchewan I just walked into an agent with my UK licence and the appropriate visa etc and they exchanged mine.

Good luck anyway
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Driving License

going to try again tomorrow so fingers crossed!:
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:52 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Originally Posted by joanne40
going to try again tomorrow so fingers crossed!:
fingers, toes and eyes crossed
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:30 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Welcome to BE I don't think you are just going to exchange the licence, each province has different rules. In Saskatchewan I just walked into an agent with my UK licence and the appropriate visa etc and they exchanged mine.

Good luck anyway
We have already phoned and asked about a Northern Ireland licence and thank goodness they recognise Northern Ireland for what it is...part of the UK!

If I had to be a learner in Saskatchewan I'm afraid you would have to be my chauffeur as there wouldn't have been no hope for me
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Manitoba also doesn't recognise NI licenses (dunno about Channel Island ones) - anyone who hasn't got a GB one should swap it for a GB one if they can before they leave. All these swap agreements seem to be GB only, worth knowing before you go.

Edit: here's the info on how to exchange NI/Channel Islands for a GB one before you leave - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562 . I guess you could still do it if you have use of a relative's address in the UK. And then maybe swap your new GB one for an AB one? You'll be tight for time if Alberta has a rule about how long you can drive as residents on a foreign license though...

Last edited by Biiiiink; Nov 23rd 2007 at 1:41 pm. Reason: Added link
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:41 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Originally Posted by Alvic
We have already phoned and asked about a Northern Ireland licence and thank goodness they recognise Northern Ireland for what it is...part of the UK!

If I had to be a learner in Saskatchewan I'm afraid you would have to be my chauffeur as there wouldn't have been no hope for me
a trusting soul you are, you haven't seen my driving yet, anyway coming in from Indian Head to the city will be ok for you all the good shops are on Victoria East so you don't have far to go - the hardest part will be trying to park at Tim's
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:37 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

"A valid licence from Austria, Belgium, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (excluding Northern Ireland) can be exchanged for a Class 5 when the applicant is presenting a valid licence of equivalent class. A Class 6 operator's licence shall be issued to valid Swiss Class A, A1 licence and a Japanese International driver's licence which permits the holder to operate a motorcycle. All other classes requested would require testing and must provide applicable medical and vision screening. All applicants must present immigration and residency documentation and acceptable identification ."

Found this statement on the Government of Alberta site. I thought the Channel Isles were part of the UK but can see that Norther Ireland is excluded - weird really.
thanks this is what we thought and normally it says excluding northern Ireland and channel islands. wonder if i should try another office
As Lorna quoted it does not say Channel Islands are excluded.

Here is the link to the Government website Lorna quoted from:
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...peratorLicence

I would certainly try another office and if possible print the webpage and take it with you.

It's at least worth a try.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I would try it too, you may get lucky.

But the Alberta page should really say "GB license" as that's what I assume they mean. There is no UK license. I expect they get NI people now and again so have added that for clarity, but probably forgot about/didn't know it was a separate issuing authority/have never had Channel Islanders try to exchange.

I've never seen a Jersey or Guernsey license, do they look like an EU style one? They're not in the EU are they - may look completely different? That might throw them when you present it?

Good luck with it anyway OP, if all else fails, swap it in GB and then try AB again.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Well tried a different office and have been told that I have to surender my licence and wait 3 months until I can take the test. In this time I can't drive so can't go to work or take my kids to school. Not their fault apparantly and can't give me any other info!!!! We can't get an international licence from home as you have to be resident in the area and we sold our house to come here!!! Think we may be having to go home anyway if this doesn't sort out!!:curse:
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:19 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Well tried a different office and have been told that I have to surender my licence and wait 3 months until I can take the test. In this time I can't drive so can't go to work or take my kids to school. Not their fault apparantly and can't give me any other info!!!! We can't get an international licence from home as you have to be resident in the area and we sold our house to come here!!! Think we may be having to go home anyway if this doesn't sort out!!:curse:
Joanne please don't let this set back put you off. I don't know the answer about the licence, rules is rules I suppose. Can you get in touch with the children's school and speak to some of the mothers explain your situation and see if they can help you for a few weeks and you can return the favour in someway at a later date. Is there some way you could get a lift to work an once again offer to repay the favour later.

I would just hate to think that this problem will influence the way you see your life in Canada, pity you don't live by me cos I would help you out.

Take care
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Manitoba also doesn't recognise NI licenses (dunno about Channel Island ones) - anyone who hasn't got a GB one should swap it for a GB one if they can before they leave. All these swap agreements seem to be GB only, worth knowing before you go.

Edit: here's the info on how to exchange NI/Channel Islands for a GB one before you leave - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562 . I guess you could still do it if you have use of a relative's address in the UK. And then maybe swap your new GB one for an AB one? You'll be tight for time if Alberta has a rule about how long you can drive as residents on a foreign license though...
We actually tried to swap our licence from NI to a GB licence and they wouldn't let us. They said a valid NI licence could not be swapped for a GB one So if we have been given the wrong info about Saskatchewan and they say we do need to swap - we are in for a tough time explaining this one away
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:01 pm

a trusting soul you are, you haven't seen my driving yet, anyway coming in from Indian Head to the city will be ok for you all the good shops are on Victoria East so you don't have far to go - the hardest part will be trying to park at Tim's
Yeah I thought that about Victoria Avenue - handy that innit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.