Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving License

Driving License

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

joanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Driving License

Thank you so much that was really kind of you. I have called all the people that I have been told to call and it seems that at this point there is no way out of this. THe rest of them are on voicemail so waiting for a load of calls back. In the meantime shall keep going and hope that it works out. Unfortunatly the option of car sharing is not there as most of the kids at school bus and we also have to get to and from work.
Will keep you posted
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:27 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanne40
Thank you so much that was really kind of you. I have called all the people that I have been told to call and it seems that at this point there is no way out of this. THe rest of them are on voicemail so waiting for a load of calls back. In the meantime shall keep going and hope that it works out. Unfortunatly the option of car sharing is not there as most of the kids at school bus and we also have to get to and from work.
Will keep you posted
This is a major, major bummer, Joanne. :curse:

I feel for you.

Is it possible for your kids to catch the school bus?

Also, while I am no great fan of Calgary's public transportation system, is it possible for you to use transit to get to and from work?

If you initially went to Crowfoot Plates to exchange your licence (or in the hopes that you'd be able to exchange your licence), I'm guessing you live in the northwest quadrant. If that is so, you are too far for it to be feasible for me to help you, as I am in the southwest quadrant. If you were within a three neighbourhood radius of me here in the southwest, I would start a Help Joanne Carpool.

If I'm wrong about your location and if you're actually within hailing distance of Oakridge, please let me know.

I really hope you will get this sorted out somehow.

By the way, I have just added the Channel Islands to the information about exclusions in the BE Wiki article called Alberta - Driving licence. Unfortunately it's too late to help you. Also, it's true that I haven't seen many people from the Channel Islands on BE. Still, if the information could spare even one person from going through what you're going through, it would be worth it.

Arghhh! :curse:
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alvic
We actually tried to swap our licence from NI to a GB licence and they wouldn't let us. They said a valid NI licence could not be swapped for a GB one So if we have been given the wrong info about Saskatchewan and they say we do need to swap - we are in for a tough time explaining this one away
I don't see why the DVLA won't exchange it - their own website says they will. Click on my link and then "designated country" list and there are instructions for NI drivers there.

If SK exchange NI licenses they're the only province I've heard of that will. I wouldn't take the chance if I were you, I'd get a GB one whilst you still can
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't see why the DVLA won't exchange it - their own website says they will. Click on my link and then "designated country" list and there are instructions for NI drivers there.
Won't they only exchange it if you're resident in Great Britain? (England, Scotland and Wales)
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If SK exchange NI licenses they're the only province I've heard of that will.
I get the impression that for other provinces you have to go to a government office to do the exchange? Here in SK, you just go to a car insurance shop and they do the transfer for you; I doubt most will know the difference between GB, Northern Ireland or Channel Islands licenses even if it matters.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:37 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

If SK exchange NI licenses they're the only province I've heard of that will. I wouldn't take the chance if I were you, I'd get a GB one whilst you still can
Biiiiiink - you gave me a link before a long time ago regarding this issue and I emailed them to clarify this and this is the reply below which they gave me:

Thank you for your inquiry Alison. Saskatchewan has a reciprocal agreement with the United Kingdom, whichincludes Northern Ireland. This allows for the exchange of your validClass 5 licence without the requirement for re-testing in Saskatchewan. (if your current licence is not in English you would be required toprovide an interpretive document)

I hope this gets us sorted - I have saved it and printed it out just incase!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Won't they only exchange it if you're resident in Great Britain? (England, Scotland and Wales)
Yes, I assumed she'd given a GB address.

Alvic - guard that email with your life I hope you can do it, but if it was me, I'd be getting that GB license in case it was duff info.

Mark - Manitoba swapped to that set up too, at least for renewals anyway, my final renewal was in a local insurance office instead of the province licensing place. I think that would be the same for a new one but I'm not sure. But then MB are clear that they don't accept N.I. licenses so there isn't any point in geographical trickery
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:03 pm

Yes, I assumed she'd given a GB address.

Alvic - guard that email with your life I hope you can do it, but if it was me, I'd be getting that GB license in case it was duff info.

Mark - Manitoba swapped to that set up too, at least for renewals anyway, my final renewal was in a local insurance office instead of the province licensing place. I think that would be the same for a new one but I'm not sure. But then MB are clear that they don't accept N.I. licenses so there isn't any point in geographical trickery
I will Biiiink....you see I cant get a GB licence either as I cant give a GB address. We tried on three diferent occasions hoping to get something back, but each time our licence and application was returned quoting we could not exchange a NI licence for a GB licence
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:13 pm

Right.....just phoned DVLA and they cannot swap my NI licence for a GB licence as I live in a FOREIGN country:curse:

DVLNI are the ruling body for our licences - which I already knew. So why does it say on DVLA own website that I can swap my NI licence...vey bad info from DVLA.

He said that you can only get a GB licence if you lived in Scotland, England or Wales - not Channel Islands or NI!

This email better work for me in Saskatchewan for I dont think I would pass a driving test on the wrong side of the road and everything
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

This email better work for me in Saskatchewan for I dont think I would pass a driving test on the wrong side of the road and everything
Of course you would, don't be so negative.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
As Lorna quoted it does not say Channel Islands are excluded.

Here is the link to the Government website Lorna quoted from:
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...peratorLicence

I would certainly try another office and if possible print the webpage and take it with you.

It's at least worth a try.

Cheers
Steve
Well I contacted Service Alberta and specifically asked about the exchange of a Channel Islands license below is the response I just received this morning. They see the Cannel Islands as being a different country.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help Joanne.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Alberta's reciprocal licensing agreement signed
with the United Kingdom of Great Britain includes
England, Scotland and Wales.

Alberta Registries does not have an agreement with the
country from which your licence is issued, that would
allow you to be issued with an Alberta driver's licence
without full testing. You will be required to proceed
with the Alberta testing process to obtain an Alberta
operator licence.

OPERATOR LICENCE
A holder of a valid operator's licence issued anywhere
outside Alberta is required by legislation to apply for
an Alberta driver licence within 90 days of becoming a
a resident in Alberta.

Valid licences from another country are recognized for
the first 90 days. Application must be made for an
Alberta licence and the licence from outside of Canada
must be surrendered before this time period is up.
For more information please refer to our website:
www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/mv/operator.cfm

To obtain an Alberta licence, you will be required
to personally attend any one of the Registry Agent
offices. A medical examination and vision screening
may be required if:
- your medical history indicates that such is warranted, or
- when a person reaches age 75.

Full testing is mandatory (Road and Knowledge testing).

Acceptable identification and proof of Alberta residency
are required. You may review some examples of acceptable
identification at the following webpage:
www.gov.ab.ca/gs/driverslicence/documents.html

Some examples of proof of residency include:
Alberta Rental or Mortgage Agreement; Letter from your
employer; Proof of personal taxes filed in Alberta;
Utility, telephone, or gas bill in applicant’s name
and with Alberta address on them.

Applicants originating from outside Canada must present
immigration documents in addition to identification.

We suggest you refer to the following Alberta Transportation
website regarding the Graduated Driving Licence program and
how it affects residents of the province of Alberta.
www.saferoads.com/drivers/drivers_newdrivers.html

For possible exemption from Alberta's Graduated Driver's Licence
Program, please ensure you can provide proof of your initial
licencing date from your home jurisdiction. For example; a
confirmation letter confirming your date first licenced. This letter
would be issued from the licencing authority from your home
jurisdiction.

IF YOU HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT:
Ministry of Service Alberta
Box 3140
Edmonton AB T5J 2G7
Phone: (780) 427-7013
For toll-free access within Alberta first dial 310-0000
Email: [email protected]
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:00 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Right.....just phoned DVLA and they cannot swap my NI licence for a GB licence as I live in a FOREIGN country:curse:

DVLNI are the ruling body for our licences - which I already knew. So why does it say on DVLA own website that I can swap my NI licence...vey bad info from DVLA.

He said that you can only get a GB licence if you lived in Scotland, England or Wales - not Channel Islands or NI!

you have to pass your test, I'm not driving to Indian Head all the time
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And you can't. Just like you can't get an Ontario driving licence if you live in Alberta and vice versa. Same country - different jurisdiction.

The use of "foreign country" is poor terminology and probably reflects the falling general level of education but the bottom line is that pretty much every Western jurisdiction that issues driving licences (be it a country or a subdivision of a country) only issues them to residents of the same jurisdiction.

The really pertinent question is why the authorities in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man don't put more pressure on their Canadian equivalents. If working through the Foreign Office or their own communication channels doesn't help they could at least withdraw their own recognition of Canadian licences until the issue is resolved.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I emailed them out of curiosity and they said again that they definitely will swap N.I. I'll keep the email and you can PM me if you need the name of the author, but it really doesn't sound like it's a problem in SK after all. You've picked the right province there!

From the mail:

Saskatchewan has driver's licence reciprocity with England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Gibraltar.

Wouldn't have helped our Channel Island OP though
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:31 pm

I emailed them out of curiosity and they said again that they definitely will swap N.I. I'll keep the email and you can PM me if you need the name of the author, but it really doesn't sound like it's a problem in SK after all. You've picked the right province there!

From the mail:

Saskatchewan has driver's licence reciprocity with England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Gibraltar.

Wouldn't have helped our Channel Island OP though
Gee thanks Biiiink...glad for some re-confirmation as I actually woke up in the middle of the night stressing about taking my test again!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.