Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving License

Driving License

Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

joanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Driving License

Originally Posted by Alvic
Gee thanks Biiiink...glad for some re-confirmation as I actually woke up in the middle of the night stressing about taking my test again!!!
That's good news for you as the system it seems here is totally ludicrous that they expect you to function for 3+ weeks in a country this size without being able to drive. I am so nervous about taking my test and really dont know how I am going to get to work and 3 kids to school with no car. Let alone function on a daily basis with everything else I need it for! The most frustrating thing is that you can hardly ever speak to a real person and when you do they are for the post part so unhelpful:curse:
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

When I moved to Canada I had to take my test (it was about 8 months before they started exchanging licenses). It really wasn't that big a deal - I had a couple of lessons to make sure I knew what I was doing. I also like that I still have my UK license.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:58 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joanne40
That's good news for you as the system it seems here is totally ludicrous that they expect you to function for 3+ weeks in a country this size without being able to drive. I am so nervous about taking my test and really dont know how I am going to get to work and 3 kids to school with no car. Let alone function on a daily basis with everything else I need it for! The most frustrating thing is that you can hardly ever speak to a real person and when you do they are for the post part so unhelpful:curse:
Sorry to hear you feel this way Joanne, pity I wasn't a bit closer(well, a whole lot closer) and I would loved to have helped you out.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

joanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the roughjoanne40 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you. Are you in Canada yet or still waiting to come???? I have to say we love it here despite all the silly rules that we have come up against
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:37 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. Are you in Canada yet or still waiting to come???? I have to say we love it here despite all the silly rules that we have come up against
Still waiting on TWP
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

You shouldn't be to long now we waited 4 weeks for the TWP from London. Are you ready to leave or going to wait? When we landed in Calgary they only issued the permit from the date of issue from London. What length permit have you got?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:38 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Esme
When I moved to Canada I had to take my test (it was about 8 months before they started exchanging licenses). It really wasn't that big a deal - I had a couple of lessons to make sure I knew what I was doing. I also like that I still have my UK license.
I just walked into Cherry's Ins and got my Sask license but they didn't keep my British license - that was only a few weeks ago.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Sask seems to have more lenient rules that calgary maybe we should have moved there instead!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:24 am
AndyxJules

andyxjules will become famous soon enough

Hiya guys,
I would just like to say we have been pr in Calgary since 2002,(we did not know you had to take it within 3 months of landing)and we had been so busy we did not get our Alberta licence's till May 2005 by that time the GDL had come into force,we were then told that this would apply to us.
Actually this is not the case,as long as you can show a full licence showing the class of vehicle's that you can drive you will be able to change your licence over,it about proving your not a new driver!
You will still have to take the simple driving test aswell as the written test,eye test.
We passed first time after taking a 2hr refresher course, saying that when we got our licence's the GDL was on them, so we took into the registry and asked them to take the GDL off. They took photo copie's of our two part UK drivers licence,we did not have to surrender them. After a month we got our new one's.
All of the local goverment registry's know of this but very few body's in Canada will commit clear and concise information, they leave it for you to find.
Hope this helps,
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:52 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Sask seems to have more lenient rules that calgary maybe we should have moved there instead!
Come on over, it's nice here and there's loads of room
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
I just walked into Cherry's Ins and got my Sask license but they didn't keep my British license - that was only a few weeks ago.
They didn't keep mine either, just told me I shouldn't use it anymore.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

An afterthought.... when I first came to Canada I had to drive for work and so got an International licence from the UK. I think it's good for a year and I only used it for a week before I got my Ontario licence but it's another option if you need to drive straight away. The only thing was, had I taken my test and failed it would instantly have become invalid!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

jasslily is an unknown quantity at this point

If we have a uk driving license can we exchange it for an alberta one and then when we go to B.C a few months later exchange it for a B.C without sitting any tests ?.
I'v ehad my U.K license for over 5 years ?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

as far as I can gather you can exchange a UK one for an Alberta one so long as you have passport, proof of residency, plus a copy of your work permit or permenant residence etc. Not sure what would happen when you get to BC. A friend of mine had to do a test after coming from Nova Scotia to Calgary