Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Canada?

Driving in Canada?

Old Jun 29th 2022, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Drunkarchaeologist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Canada?

Ok so I can't even drive in the UK yet, close though, I have took loads of lessons and I had my first test which I failed on. So basically my question is shall I keep doing lessons here in the UK to pass and get a UK licence, or shall I just wait till I get over to Canada and do lessons out there to get a Canadian license? As even if I did have a UK licence I'd still want to do some lessons in Canada to get use to the roads and their highway code etc. So I'm unsure to keep at the lessons here, as you can imagine they're very expensive and I could save that money for the move to Canada.

Thanks
Drunkarchaeologist
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Canada?

Originally Posted by Drunkarchaeologist
Ok so I can't even drive in the UK yet, close though, I have took loads of lessons and I had my first test which I failed on. So basically my question is shall I keep doing lessons here in the UK to pass and get a UK licence, or shall I just wait till I get over to Canada and do lessons out there to get a Canadian license? As even if I did have a UK licence I'd still want to do some lessons in Canada to get use to the roads and their highway code etc. So I'm unsure to keep at the lessons here, as you can imagine they're very expensive and I could save that money for the move to Canada.

Thanks
Drunkarchaeologist
I would wait until in Canada as I can't believe that it is possible to fail a driving test in Canada.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Which province are you going to? Even if you did pass your test in the UK, you will probably have to go on to a learners permit and take another test anyway, as you won’t have enough experience.

So depending on the province and their rules, you may find it’s easier and cheaper just to wait rather than do it twice.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

I'll be moving to Ontario
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be moving to Ontario
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange...ence#section-4

HTH.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Oh awesome, thanks for that. What I gather from it is I can exchange an out-of-province licence for an Ontario licence if I have a full UK driving licence and have been driving with that for a year or more.

Cheers
Drunkarchaeologist
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh awesome, thanks for that. What I gather from it is I can exchange an out-of-province licence for an Ontario licence if I have a full UK driving licence and have been driving with that for a year or more.

Cheers
Drunkarchaeologist
I thought it said 2 years or more?
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I thought it said 2 years or more?
You are correct yeah, sorry I mis-read that
Old Jun 29th 2022, 5:59 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would wait until in Canada as I can't believe that it is possible to fail a driving test in Canada.
Oh it is, and I speak from experience
Old Jun 29th 2022, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But he is going to Ontario and probably the GTA area so is a driving licence even required Personally wait until you get to Canada and then decide and if in the GTA you might decide you don't want to drive.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 12:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Oh it is, and I speak from experience

I failed it twice. My, er, colleague, gave me a trophy with a racing car on the top and the inscription "Congratulations on passing your driving test - after only three tries".
Old Jun 30th 2022, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I failed it twice. My, er, colleague, gave me a trophy with a racing car on the top and the inscription "Congratulations on passing your driving test - after only three tries".
Honestly, how could you fail it twice. There must be a story to that.

For the OP, in Ontario if you take the driving test here it allows you to drive both a manual transmission car or an automatic transmission car. I would think that 95% of cars on the road are automatics (I'm part of the 5%) and basically nobody takes the test in a manual transmission car.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Failing a driving test in Canada is as difficult as finding Canadian television riveting
Old Jun 30th 2022, 12:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Honestly, how could you fail it twice. There must be a story to that.
Not really, the first time was for driving too fast and the second for driving too cautiously. I guess I overcompensated. My wife at the time didn't even bother with the test. She just drove on her foreign license, which was allowed for, I think, 90 days. Only her 90 days stretched to about 30 years.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 4:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Do people have real driving lessons in Canada? I've always thought that one of the reasons for the poor driving is that everyone is taught by their parents when they are 16. The learners are 16 not the parents. Natch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.