Reload this Page >

Dogs to Canada with Air Transat

Dogs to Canada with Air Transat

Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:32 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dogs to Canada with Air Transat

Originally Posted by Kev Davidson
Hi Mrs Happy off in May 21st well done.
Just a quick on for you how big are your dogs? i have a German Shepard (35 Kgs) a big soft bear. I just want to work out the cost for the size of him (Tuska)

Thanks
Kev (waiting on meds)
We are flying with Transat and we are going with them because of the dogs. They have been so very helpful and I heard quite good reports about them shipping dogs. It may not be the best airline for us but this time doggies come first. Our dogs are Percy who is nearly 15 and a border collie and Doris who is 12 and a lakeland terrier so neither are as big as your bear. However with Transat it doesn't matter how big the dog is - it is one price for all dogs which I was really pleased with. The cost is £112 per dog ($500 for the two). They can take 5 animals per flight so you need to check they have room for the dog before you book. It would be perfect for your dog as I believe some airlines only carry a dog up to 32 kg including crate. The other option is going as cargo but then you don't fly with them. Also as Transat don't worry about weight/size we can get generous sized crates for them rather than trying to squeeze them into something just to make sure they don't go over limits. The cost I believe is a standard charge regardless of where you fly from in the UK or to in Canada. Another good point was that the flight isn't until 7.00 in the evening so we have all day to get there without being in a rush and once the dogs are on the plane it will be dark and warm for them and sleepy time anyway.

I'll let you know how we get on - only 56 days to go and counting.

All the best with the meds - it seems like such a long time ago that we were in the that boat but it wasn't really.
Mrs Happy
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

We brought our aged cat just over two years ago and all went well.....she actually arrived a few days after us owing to circumstances at the time. Upon collection at Toronto airport we had a total of around $76 to pay ( I can't remember what it was for now, but it was in two different lots); we hadn't been told of this by the company who arranged it all - so it might be worth knowing about this now so any of you bringing pets will be warned - just in case.

Also - I think I've mentioned this before in earlier threads - you can get something called Feliway from your vet; it's stuff to spray into the carrier box/crate whatever, and around your new home - it's a stress reliever and makes your pets surroundings feel more familiar.

Last edited by jood; Mar 26th 2007 at 11:02 am. Reason: Added a bit
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Kev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Dogs to Canada with Air Transat

Thanks for the info, i think we need a bit of extra dosh for the little shocks

Thanks
Kev
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by macadian
Hi

They were concerned I may be bringing pet food into the country with me. You may have a problem. Suggest you check with relevent Canadian Authority re bringing in your cats food with you. Don't risk smuggling it in...it's just not worth it. Better to source your cats requirements here in Canada BEFORE your arrival.

Cheers

Thanks very much for this. I have done a search for the manufacturers of the cat food we use and we can get exactly the same stuff in Canada (he is on a special urinary diet because he kept getting stones in his bladder!) So that is good and it will save me paying out for it here and then having it confiscated from my container or case!!

Thanks for your help.

Lisa
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gloveman
Transat told me they didn't need a fit to fly certificate - we'll get everything to be on the safe side.
we came by transat and it was the first thing they wanted to see at Gatwick. different day, different person............................
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all. was relived to read this post as we are here in Vancouver Island without our dog and hoping my mum and dad are flying over in may with her but had read on expats that the airlines are stopping doing this. I guess air transat are not, so will be booking my parents on that airline. Many thanks for sharing that with us.