Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dogs to Canada with Air Transat

Dogs to Canada with Air Transat

Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:01 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dogs to Canada with Air Transat

We are in the process of booking our flights to Canada and have chosen Air Transat because we are taking 2 dogs with us. I know dogs and travel have been covered lots of time but I have a specific question as we have had contradicting advice.

The lady at Transat was delightful and very helpful but the advice she gave was purely what we could read off her computer screen. She tells us that the only documentaion we need is a certificate to prove the dogs have had the rabies injection. However our vet has checked with DEFRA and they say they must have rabies injections, microchips, fit to fly certificates and export licences.

They have had the injections and are both microchipped but do we need the other two documents?

Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dogs to Canada with Air Transat

Hi

Just been going through this with our two cats. I took them for their Rabies vaccs and identichips on Friday and the vet gave me the number of the local DEFRA office to ring and check whether they needed anything more. The lady I spoke to said that as we were getting them Pet Passports, that was all we would need. I mentioned the Fitness to Fly certificate and she said that is something issued by a vet just before you go, to comply with the airline's own requirements (their insurance liability?) and was not an official requirement for entering Canada. I think if you have had the Rabies and identichip, that is basically the same as the Pet Passport anyway (we are only getting these as a back-up just in case we do decide to come back)

We originally got quotes from companies to transport the cats for us (rather than taking them ourselves, which I think is what we will actually end up doing like yourself) and on one of the sheets of information we were sent it said "An official Export Health Certificate from DEFRA is only required if the animal has not been vacccinated against Rabies within the last two years"

So based on this, I think you are OK without the DEFRA certificate but will probably need the Fitness to Fly one.

Lisa

Last edited by Lisa_W; Mar 25th 2007 at 12:16 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:00 pm

Thanks Lisa - I think we will get the fit to fly certificate - our dogs are elderly and it would be a little peace of mind for us even if the airline doesn't want it. Will have to investigate export licence in more details - if it is quite easy to get and inexpensive we will probably get it on the basis that it is better to have it and not need it rather than not have it and need it. It just another thing on the ever growing list of things to do!

Thank you
Angela
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gloveman
We are in the process of booking our flights to Canada and have chosen Air Transat because we are taking 2 dogs with us. I know dogs and travel have been covered lots of time but I have a specific question as we have had contradicting advice.

The lady at Transat was delightful and very helpful but the advice she gave was purely what we could read off her computer screen. She tells us that the only documentaion we need is a certificate to prove the dogs have had the rabies injection. However our vet has checked with DEFRA and they say they must have rabies injections, microchips, fit to fly certificates and export licences.

They have had the injections and are both microchipped but do we need the other two documents?

Thank you for your help.

HI Gloveman. Hangover ???

When we brought the cat over in sept the fit to fly letter was the first thing they wanted to see to make sure pet was ok at Gatwick. Didnt need it for Vancouver though.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need any paperwork or injections for Canada customs, see here - http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...chien_2e.shtml - you do need a fitness to fly certificate for the airline's purpose, although sometimes they don't even look at it, which is annoying!

Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
You don't need any paperwork or injections for Canada customs, see here - http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...chien_2e.shtml - you do need a fitness to fly certificate for the airline's purpose, although sometimes they don't even look at it, which is annoying!
Not sure about that? Unless things have changed over the past few years. Brought my collie over with me (she was 15 then) in August 2004 with Air Transat. All I needed was rabies vacination certification. I did get her thoroughly checked over by my Vet before hand re fitness to fly etc, but no certification to this effect required or asked for. Formality at Pearson on our arrival. They were more interested in me NOT having brought any pet food over with me...

Best of luck.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

They were more interested in me NOT having brought any pet food over with me...

.[/QUOTE]

Hi

When you say this, do you mean that they were making sure that you hadn't brought any food or they were asking you why you hadn't brought any food?

I ask because one of our cats is on a special diet and we get his food from the vet's. I was going to buy some extra sacks of the biscuits and several boxes of the meat sachets to put in our container and also take a few over in my case, so that he had some food before I manage to sort out a vet and new supply of similar food. Do you think we will get away with it or not? (Or will I have to hide the sachets in bundles of socks etc in the suitcase!!)

Lisa
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

sand grownun is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter brought out Chocolate Labrador over to us in September last year with Air Transat. We checked with DEFRA and was told we needed a rabies shot, and a fit to fly certificate, which turned out to be just a letter from our vet issued three days before the flight to say they had checked the dog and it was healhy and fit to fly, our dog was already microchipped. We didn't need a pet passport, but I would advise you to get one as it would make it easier to return to UK with the dog (or cat) it you have one.

Their flight was delayed, but Air Transat let them keep the dog with them until nearly boarding time, and on arrival in Calgary my daughter paid $10 and a porter was assigned to them to help with the dog and luggage etc, they also took them just outside the airport to let the dog relieve himself before we picked them up. Air Transat were very good with the dog and he didn't seem at all bothered about the flight. The cost of daughter and dog flying together was considerably cheaper than the £1200 we had been quoted to send dog on his own. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by jempee
HI Gloveman. Hangover ???

When we brought the cat over in sept the fit to fly letter was the first thing they wanted to see to make sure pet was ok at Gatwick. Didnt need it for Vancouver though.
Hangover - don't know what you mean!! We think we might as well get everything - better too much info than not enough and it would be a nightmare to get them turn away at the airport. Might just manange to leave the kids passports behind though!!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Transat told me they didn't need a fit to fly certificate - we'll get everything to be on the safe side.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by sand grownun
My daughter brought out Chocolate Labrador over to us in September last year with Air Transat. We checked with DEFRA and was told we needed a rabies shot, and a fit to fly certificate, which turned out to be just a letter from our vet issued three days before the flight to say they had checked the dog and it was healhy and fit to fly, our dog was already microchipped. We didn't need a pet passport, but I would advise you to get one as it would make it easier to return to UK with the dog (or cat) it you have one.

Their flight was delayed, but Air Transat let them keep the dog with them until nearly boarding time, and on arrival in Calgary my daughter paid $10 and a porter was assigned to them to help with the dog and luggage etc, they also took them just outside the airport to let the dog relieve himself before we picked them up. Air Transat were very good with the dog and he didn't seem at all bothered about the flight. The cost of daughter and dog flying together was considerably cheaper than the £1200 we had been quoted to send dog on his own. Hope this helps.
Thanks - cost to take two dogs is just $500 and we are well pleased with that (£225). We're not getting a passport because the dogs are elderly and wouldn't take 6 months in kennels if we came back to England and anyway we are definitely definitely definitely not coming back. You say the dog could stay with your daughter until nearly boarding - does that mean in the airport or did she have to wait elsewhere? Glad to hear Transat were good with the dog and thanks for your help.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
They were more interested in me NOT having brought any pet food over with me...

Hi

When you say this, do you mean that they were making sure that you hadn't brought any food or they were asking you why you hadn't brought any food?

I ask because one of our cats is on a special diet and we get his food from the vet's. I was going to buy some extra sacks of the biscuits and several boxes of the meat sachets to put in our container and also take a few over in my case, so that he had some food before I manage to sort out a vet and new supply of similar food. Do you think we will get away with it or not? (Or will I have to hide the sachets in bundles of socks etc in the suitcase!!)

Lisa[/quote]

They were concerned I may be bringing pet food into the country with me. You may have a problem. Suggest you check with relevent Canadian Authority re bringing in your cats food with you. Don't risk smuggling it in...it's just not worth it. Better to source your cats requirements here in Canada BEFORE your arrival.

Cheers
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:22 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We flew with Transat to Calgary with our dog in October 2005.

We did get a rabies vaccine and made sure all the other usual ones were up-to-date. You don't need a pet passport if you're not going to bring them back in to the UK, and we didn't need an export certificate. You don't have to wait and pay for the blood tests to show the rabies vaccine has "taken" as you would if you were getting a passport.

We did get a fit-to-fly letter, which I showed at the time of booking in and also I seem to remember at the Canada vet desk too. They also checked the vaccination certificate there, mainly to see that the Rabies vaccine was in date. I read somewhen that the vet will offer to do the rabies vaccine on arrival in Canada if they don't have it, although the animal immigration site clearly says it is not a requirement if you come from a rabies-free country. I think all dogs here have it.

Make sure your vet's letter or some document also says if your animal has been neutered, as you may find that lowers the licensing fee .... it does in Calgary anyway!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:49 am

Thanks everyone for all your help - much appreciated.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Kev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant futureKev Davidson has a brilliant future

Thanks - cost to take two dogs is just $500 and we are well pleased with that (£225). We're not getting a passport because the dogs are elderly and wouldn't take 6 months in kennels if we came back to England and anyway we are definitely definitely definitely not coming back. You say the dog could stay with your daughter until nearly boarding - does that mean in the airport or did she have to wait elsewhere? Glad to hear Transat were good with the dog and thanks for your help.
Hi Mrs Happy off in May 21st well done.
Just a quick on for you how big are your dogs? i have a German Shepard (35 Kgs) a big soft bear. I just want to work out the cost for the size of him (Tuska)

Thanks
Kev (waiting on meds)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.