Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does shipping the furniture really worth it?!

Does shipping the furniture really worth it?!

Old Oct 10th 2009, 7:14 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does shipping the furniture really worth it?!

Don't forget to add on taxes is looking at furniture and electricals online. Here in NS we pay 13% HST (combo of GST and PST).
Old Oct 10th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

we shipped everything and it made the move a whole lot easier. We moved over at the same time as the container and rented a furnished vacation rental for the 6 weeks until the container arrived.
I even packed large quantities of squash for the kids to drink!! Our container was searched my customs which delayed it at Vancouver by a week. But they are looking for arms and drugs we were told, and the x-ray machine they run them all through picked up my son's golf clubs, which I suppose look like guns!
We were also warned to list garden furniture as 'patio' furniture as the word 'garden' flags it up and they worry about mud/dirt. we had to clean all the bikes and patio stuff with a pressure washer before they would pack it.
We did bring some electrical stuff like a Wii. We have a transformer. But there are other threads on TVs and Wii consoles coming over.

Last edited by charlottyb; Oct 10th 2009 at 7:49 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Oct 10th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

heidi40 will become famous soon enoughheidi40 will become famous soon enough

Thank you again for your kind replies. I decided to ship my furniture even though We have to rent a place first to know the area better.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
Don't forget to add on taxes is looking at furniture and electricals online. Here in NS we pay 13% HST (combo of GST and PST).
Thanks Cookie...I had forgotten about that!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:47 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by farjojo71
Thanks Cookie...I had forgotten about that!
In alberta we only pay 5%
Not sure if your OH is getting the mailings or not, but he very welcome to have ours, also look on http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/flyers/

Plus there is the liq centres in town as well
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:32 am
Just Joined

cococeltic is an unknown quantity at this point

4.5 k I'd look around, we found places when we were looking at Oz for that.
We also found a few that you can sent Tea boxes ect. What they do is, fill a container, With diffrent peoples stuff then deliver it straight to you, as it all gets draged out with customs any way.
I'll have a look and see if I can find there web pages.
Have you also thought about container share. Or a small container.
And some are cheeper if you fill it your self.
But look around there is all so a lot of cowboys out there.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:35 am
Just Joined

cococeltic is an unknown quantity at this point

Found this one.
http://www.overseasremovers.co.uk/
Remember and take out insurance.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

I have requested a few quotes and the best I have had at the moment is from these http://www.maritimecargo.com/default.asp?pageid=1

The only downside is that with these removals, you pack up everything yourself and load it on and off the container yourself. Doesn't really bother me tbh though as I wanted to pack my own things up anyway. There was a huge difference in their quote and the others I had requested. They quoted approx £2800 for a full container with the other firms quoting between £3800 and £5k for groupage!!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
In alberta we only pay 5%
Not sure if your OH is getting the mailings or not, but he very welcome to have ours, also look on http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/flyers/

Plus there is the liq centres in town as well
Thanks LB...as you know, I was planning on just shipping some boxes over like you did but his royal highness has stamped his feet and said we are sending our stuff over lol...he doesn't get forceful very often, its so macho haha
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:31 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by farjojo71
Thanks LB...as you know, I was planning on just shipping some boxes over like you did but his royal highness has stamped his feet and said we are sending our stuff over lol...he doesn't get forceful very often, its so macho haha

He is missing his home comforts
After just receiving another ship load of stuff i can see where he is coming from, we all do it our own way in the end
We looked into GB Liners as a good friend had used them, the price came out good and better than some of the quotes we got, maybe worth giving them a bell, if you are using a shipment, i may just give you a shipping order for ready brek

LB
Old Oct 11th 2009, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lancashirebird

He is missing his home comforts
After just receiving another ship load of stuff i can see where he is coming from, we all do it our own way in the end
We looked into GB Liners as a good friend had used them, the price came out good and better than some of the quotes we got, maybe worth giving them a bell, if you are using a shipment, i may just give you a shipping order for ready brek

LB
I'll look into GB Liners, thanks petal

Awww are you going to make me look a freak buying up all the Ready Brek in Asda???? .......actually buying food in Asda instead of books and clothes will be a novelty for me