Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does shipping the furniture really worth it?!

Does shipping the furniture really worth it?!

Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

heidi40 will become famous soon enoughheidi40 will become famous soon enough
Default Does shipping the furniture really worth it?!

Hi everyone. we just had a quotation from a removal company around 4.5 k
to take my furniture to vancouver. Does it worth it? I have some nice furniture and some just normal pine furniture. I don't know what to do? I don't want to sell them for peanuts!
What did you do? Please share.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does shipping the furniture really worth it?!

Originally Posted by heidi40
to take my furniture to vancouver. Does it worth it? I have some nice furniture and some just normal pine furniture. I don't know what to do? I don't want to sell them for peanuts!
2 questions to yourself
Is everything you own replacable for £4.5
Are they of sentimental value to you
x
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:59 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I took 4500 GBP and exchanged it at $1.7 CDN = $7650.

This may give you a rough idea. In 2007 I paid $1100 at Sears for a queen bed, not including the headboard and not including bedding or pillows. I had to buy 3 beds (2 adults, 2 teenagers). To include bedding, pillows and headboards probably brought the figure nearer $5000

We only brought over 1 bed which is now in the guest room. All our old livingroom furniture now furnishes our basement

I would always say to bring your goods. It costs $$$$$$ to replace it and while it was fun looking for new sofas, cars, TVs etc, the fun wears off when looking for brushes, cutlery, dish cloths, towels, garden tools........... your money will fall through your hands like grains of sand

It's also a fantastic feeling when your shipment arrives. It takes years to accumulates all your things and the familiarity of it all goes a long way to settling in your new home.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 2:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Figuring out what you can get for it and how much to replace it should help make the decision. We did not bring anything and go way better furniture in Canada. We have mediocre furniture in the UK. Here we managed to get solid maple and solid cherry, something I had not seen for years in the UK.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I took 4500 GBP and exchanged it at $1.7 CDN = $7650.

This may give you a rough idea. In 2007 I paid $1100 at Sears for a queen bed, not including the headboard and not including bedding or pillows. I had to buy 3 beds (2 adults, 2 teenagers). To include bedding, pillows and headboards probably brought the figure nearer $5000

We only brought over 1 bed which is now in the guest room. All our old livingroom furniture now furnishes our basement

I would always say to bring your goods. It costs $$$$$$ to replace it and while it was fun looking for new sofas, cars, TVs etc, the fun wears off when looking for brushes, cutlery, dish cloths, towels, garden tools........... your money will fall through your hands like grains of sand

It's also a fantastic feeling when your shipment arrives. It takes years to accumulates all your things and the familiarity of it all goes a long way to settling in your new home.

Totally agree. unless you have tat or stuff you aren't bothered about, looked into this and lots of threads on this, worth every penny to me to have the things familiar to us in our new home ( whenever that may be ) we will need a container just for theChristmas decs
Old Oct 10th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your responds. I think I would take my stuff with me as you said it would be more expensive to replace my quality furniture. Many thanks guys.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
All our old livingroom furniture now furnishes our basement

Wot she said !
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:13 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your responds. I think I would take my stuff with me as you said it would be more expensive to replace my quality furniture. Many thanks guys.
the other part of this is the lack of shopping you will have to do. nothing better after all the stress of setting up your new life, than a truck arriving with everything you need and all familiar, rather than having to go to loads of different shops, the hassle of dealing with salespeople, let down on delivery, damaged goods, returns and on and on.

the only thing i would not bother with is anything electrical, if its got a plug on it, sell it and replace it here.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

will do thanx
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Don't know if you have kids or not - but we found that the familiarity of their own things (toys, books, furniture etc) helped the kids settle so much easier.

We sold or donated furniture that we didn't want or though wouldn't survive the crossing! All electrics too, we sold. Everything else came with us and I certainly don't regret it.

We've been lucky enough to buy a house that our furniture alone would never have fit into. So this is something else you may need to consider - you may need to buy 2 sets of living room furniture if you don't bring your own with you.

Good luck with the move.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I have a 12 years old son who would appreciate to have all his belongings.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 6:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Get rid of your rubbish, but ship everything that is half decent.

Your house in Canada will likely be much bigger than in Europe, so you will need to buy new furniture in any case. The trouble is, in the first few months you do not know where to go for a good deal, which stores sell quality items, and don't have time to do much research.

We brought quite a bit of furniture, and all pots, pans etc from the UK. They started as the furniture for our main rooms and then, as we gradually replaced it with good Canadian furniture, it went down into the basement.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Heidi

I struggled with this decision too. My hubby is already in Alberta working and myself and the children are moving over early next year. Initially I was going to sell or dump everything here and start again but as the other posters have said on here, it will be amazing how much things will cost to replace. Our beds here are only 12 months old so I am not going to ditch them and I have 2 leather sofa's that would cost a ridiculous amount to replace in Canada. What I did was go on different websites based in Canada and roughly price furniture up and for us, it is definately worth sending a container.

Also, my husband has been around a few stores and has said I won't like the furniture apart from the REALLY expensive things so he has insisted on us sending a container
Old Oct 10th 2009, 6:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farjojo71

Also, my husband has been around a few stores and has said I won't like the furniture apart from the REALLY expensive things so he has insisted on us sending a container
Yes, there is plenty of cheap tat available, but you have to pay for quality.

Last edited by JonboyE; Oct 10th 2009 at 6:21 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot will depend on what you can afford and what sort of condition your stuff is in. We made the decision to get rid of all our furniture as most needed replacing anyway and bought new in Canada. We did make provisions in our budget for this and bought some nice stuff from Sears. Did ship 42 boxes over with books, ornaments photos etc which cost us just over £1300 and paid approx $6000 for bedroom furniture and 3 piece suite which for 2 people we didn't think was bad and the furniture does appear to be good quality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.