Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you regret moving?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Was moving to Canada the best decision you've made?
Yes
37.42%
No
42.94%
undecided
19.63%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Do you regret moving?

Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

SCORPION is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you regret moving?

We like it here and would never move back... there are drawbacks but they are not big enough to push us back over the pond...
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkgoulds
main reason we're going back! canadians live to well work, its all work work work and very little enjoy life - apart from the people who have retired....

10 days unpaid holiday allowence a YEAR from 28 days PAID is a big thing, especially because you have to plan your holiday carefully because everything is so wide spread and apart, majority of your holiday would be travelling to the destination!

That's not "Canada" - that's Calgary. Calgary is very much a "live to work" society - people move there to work, not for the lifestyle and walkable pubs. There are other places in Canada that suit the lifestyle you're seeking. Most cradles raised in Calgary escape the place at 22. I could not imagine being 22 and living Calgary.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:26 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
That's not "Canada" - that's Calgary. Calgary is very much a "live to work" society - people move there to work, not for the lifestyle and walkable pubs. There are other places in Canada that suit the lifestyle you're seeking. Most cradles raised in Calgary escape the place at 22. I could not imagine being 22 and living Calgary.
Thats not my experience of Calgary
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:39 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Disagree, some leave at 21

Actually "most" is pushing it but generally it is a "live to work" type of place, and many have plans to retire in BC or snowbird.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Disagree, some leave at 21

Actually "most" is pushing it but generally it is a "live to work" type of place, and many have plans to retire in BC or snowbird.
I disagree too. There are some that live to work, I suspect there are many more in Toronto though. I can't imagine that a nurse in Calgary is more work obsessed than a nurse in New Brunswick
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I don't necessarily see this either. At my work, the only ones putting in stupid hours are the management. Everyone else seems to have a healthy work/life balance going on, and lots of outside interests.

I do agree however, that many will do the snowbird thing at a later stage in life. That's not necessarily a Calgary thing though, I wouldn't think. That's a "sh*t, it's cold again" thing.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:16 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I don't necessarily see this either. At my work, the only ones putting in stupid hours are the management. Everyone else seems to have a healthy work/life balance going on, and lots of outside interests.

I do agree however, that many will do the snowbird thing at a later stage in life. That's not necessarily a Calgary thing though, I wouldn't think. That's a "sh*t, it's cold again" thing.
Its not a Canadian thing either...loads of Brits in the UK retire or head to the med at the on set of winter..that is certainly my plan...ish
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Its not a Canadian thing either...loads of Brits in the UK retire or head to the med at the on set of winter..that is certainly my plan...ish
I worked with a Turk, in Canada. He bought a beach house in Turkey and retired to it. Universal, innit, the human need to have one's wizened bits warmed by the sun?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I worked with a Turk, in Canada. He bought a beach house in Turkey and retired to it. Universal, innit, the human need to have one's wizened bits warmed by the sun?
But the uniquely Canadian aspect is to preserve said bits from freezing off.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough

Well its a good job I'm not speaking for you guys eh because I'm speaking about MY experience and MY lifestyle here - wow, calm down! Its an open thread asking whether I regret moving, I do and some of these are my reasons! I don't work in the normal everyday industry so its not shift work nor is it 9 - 5 everyday. I'm not wasting my time going to labour standards about the vacay pay as I'm more than happy to just move on with the next chapter of my life which may offend some canadians on here - back in england! Some people it works out for some people it doesn't, its a part of life. I'm 22 yes but doesn't mean I'm the 'average 22 year old' so don't judge someone on their age, I've probably had more life experience than most of you bitching. For all the positive replys in regards to my postings, thanks! Been good too hear your views and thoughts. All the best BB!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:23 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well its a good job I'm not speaking for you guys eh because I'm speaking about MY experience and MY lifestyle here - wow, calm down! Its an open thread asking whether I regret moving, I do and some of these are my reasons! I don't work in the normal everyday industry so its not shift work nor is it 9 - 5 everyday. I'm not wasting my time going to labour standards about the vacay pay as I'm more than happy to just move on with the next chapter of my life which may offend some canadians on here - back in england! Some people it works out for some people it doesn't, its a part of life. I'm 22 yes but doesn't mean I'm the 'average 22 year old' so don't judge someone on their age, I've probably had more life experience than most of you bitching. For all the positive replys in regards to my postings, thanks! Been good too hear your views and thoughts. All the best BB!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:36 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

And if anyone says One Direction is like no good then they don't know nothing because I know lots about music right?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:41 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I've probably had more life experience than most of you bitching. All the best BB!
I very much doubt this. The fact that you even wrote this tells me you have a lot to learn. But hey, you is still young, in another 25 years you may be ready to come back.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I very much doubt this. The fact that you even wrote this tells me you have a lot to learn. But hey, you is still young, in another 25 years you may be ready to come back.
And the fact you even wrote this shows me that you felt a little offended about my post and you felt the need to leave a rude comment for no reason, when really you absolutley have no idea about my life. So tell me, whats so special that you have done, learned and achieved in your life that i might not of in your eyes?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
And if anyone says One Direction is like no good then they don't know nothing because I know lots about music right?
Steriotyping or what? WOW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.