Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you regret moving?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Was moving to Canada the best decision you've made?
Yes
37.42%
No
42.94%
undecided
19.63%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Do you regret moving?

Old Apr 28th 2013, 2:46 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you regret moving?

Originally Posted by jkgoulds
We get 4% of every 2 weeks pay put into the 'holiday wage' which only works out to like $15 a day of each of those ten daya off... it all legal, the company has the choice to do it that way...
Something isn't right here. 4% of your total yearly pay should be two weeks pay. 4% x 25 = 100% innit.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 2:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We get 4% of every 2 weeks pay put into the 'holiday wage' which only works out to like $15 a day of each of those ten daya off... it all legal, the company has the choice to do it that way...
No. You get 4% additional pay when you're working, which pays for your time off. Even on minimum wage that works out to about $860 a year for your 10 days.

I'm not saying that's generous, but there you are.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 4:36 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Great standard of living here, much better than at home but I would be back in a shot if I could get a similar standard. The people drive me nuts in Vancouver. They are so full of ****.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 4:42 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Great standard of living here, much better than at home but I would be back in a shot if I could get a similar standard. The people drive me nuts in Vancouver. They are so full of ****.
There must be some regional cities in Britain in which you could enjoy a "similar standard" to Vancouver...?
Old Apr 28th 2013, 5:21 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
There must be some regional cities in Britain in which you could enjoy a "similar standard" to Vancouver...?
Poole, Dorset is very lovely by all accounts. It has a nice climate and has the largest natural harbour in Britain. Plus, Sandbanks is the most expensive place to live in Europe so a lot like Vancouver but you can still play skittles in a few local country pubs.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 5:32 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Poole, Dorset is very lovely by all accounts. It has a nice climate and has the largest natural harbour in Britain. Plus, Sandbanks is the most expensive place to live in Europe so a lot like Vancouver but you can still play skittles in a few local country pubs.
Sandbanks is pricey, but the rest of Poole is not so expensive. It's a good suggestion.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:52 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Its jobs mate. Its awful at home work wise and I would really be heading back to Ireland over London now. Nice place somewhere in dear old Wicklow/SE Dublin. But Ireland is totally ruined for many years to come. Dont get me wrong, im very grateful to here. Would just prefer to be in Europe.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Jc2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes!!! I was always the kind of person to live each day as it comes and not look back...until I moved here! We moved form Dubai with my son and I was 6 months pregnant with my daughter. We've only been here 8 months and have struggled immensely. I have often found the Canadians to be a bit rude (supermarket and driving etiquette) and have struggled bonding and chatting with them at baby groups etc. neither my husband or I have really made any friends yet, and it's seems to be soooo expensive with the tax on salary and then everything we buy! Really need dual income for us but I'm not in a position to go back to work yet, and have recently discovered there's a good chance my qualifications aren't valid. So to answer, yes I regret it, it's been extremely hard to settle and we still haven't achieved that, Canada is not as we hoped it would be (far more expensive, less like the USA than we though). I would go back to the UK (feel we would have a better lifestyle with friends and family nearby) and more so back to Dubai!! That said, I would never recommend anyone motto take opportunities! I know I'd have regretted not moving here when we had the chance had we hadn't and I'd much rather regret what I did do than what I don't! Good luck
Old Apr 28th 2013, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

gaijin is an unknown quantity at this point

Today yes, but another day probably not.
i moved her a few years ago after meeting my boyfriend while working in Asia. At the time I moved, and already living away form the uk for a period of time i was content keeping in touch with friends and family via Skype. I have since had a child and never considered what raising a child away from my family really meant. My daughter thinks my parents and sisters are just moving faces in the iPhone screen, I also found making friends harder than I thought it would be . I have some friends , but more so here thn other place I have lived it seem people find their friends in university ... And then they have enough people in their life. People are polite, but not close.

Some days are hard, some are easy...I think that may just be life though!
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:50 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjaca85
Thank you for your responses - insightful and interesting.

I know i messed the poll question up... I meant was moving to Canada the right decision as opposed to staying in the UK...
I think most people should have thought that's what you meant

For me, (getting married, having kids etc is a given) but I regret moving to Canada for such a long period of time (13 years) we stayed waaaaaaaaaay to long.

If I could only choose one option, i'd say I wish we hadn't have moved to Canada at all.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:35 am
ak9
Forum Regular

ak9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask what industry that is in !/
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No. You get 4% additional pay when you're working, which pays for your time off. Even on minimum wage that works out to about $860 a year for your 10 days.

I'm not saying that's generous, but there you are.
Well I can tell you now I don't get that! Haha, I wish!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ak9
Can I ask what industry that is in !/
Arboriculture
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:04 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Arboriculture
I hate big spiders
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Well I can tell you now I don't get that! Haha, I wish!
Then go to Labor Standards as 4% is the legal minimum. With my husbands employer, they 'bank' holiday pay and he just asks when he wants it and they pay however much he asks for that he has banked, he doesn't necessarily take holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.