Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you regret moving?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Was moving to Canada the best decision you've made?
Yes
37.42%
No
42.94%
undecided
19.63%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Do you regret moving?

Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:09 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you regret moving?

Gas is controllable so a lot more convenient but if you're doing the fire pit thing, you can't go wrong cooking a juicy prime rib over seasoned wood from fruit trees (which, around here, usually means apple).

I know what you mean about the smoke from dripping fat/marinate but I think there's a definite flavour advantage when the smoke of burnt wood is also present in the food

Originally Posted by Shard
As for gas BBQ v charcoal, is there a discernsble difference? It's said that the dripping fat and consequent smoke provide the flavour so this purist talk about charcoal is a load of cobblers.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:24 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
It's the notion that 30 men, who live together in a small shack, hundreds of miles away from their family, while tolerating extreme weather in the remotest, far-north of Canada have to use a dirty old BBQ to assert their manliness.

In other words, although you may all have women-partners, you feel the need to, instead, spend all your time, days and nights, with roughnecks dressed up in high visibility vests. On realization of the public's perception of this situation, you feel a strong desire to use a symbol (said BBQ) to project an illusion of heterosexuality.

So, the incongruity, is seemingly "tough men" choosing to live with other "tough men", rather than pretty, dainty, child-bearing women.

Well, you did say "Actually I'm surprised that a bear hasn't tried to mate with it yet"... what do you expect??

No offence intended, I'm just bored, waiting for the footy to start.
Well, that's certainly one way of looking at it, if you're Germaine Greer, or mad.

Rather than "using a BBQ to project an illusion of heterosexuality" (the mind boggles!), I was simply making a point that a well-seasoned BBQ adds unique and delicious flavours to the meats cooked on it. The modern urban equivalent - the shiny, stainless steel outdoor gas range, cleaned meticulously after each use - is just the kitchen cooker wheeled outside.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:54 am
Just Joined

oriley is an unknown quantity at this point

Think there's a bit of a snobbish thing gOing on about this whole gas/charcoal and the flavor.

To me, it's about the quality of the food.

About 5 years ago wife bought home club pack of ground beef and told me to make burgers. I delicately informed her that burgers came from Loblaws and there's 40 different flavors to choose from.

That evening had best burgers ever; and have never bought frozen burgers since.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

jack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nicejack bauer is just really nice

Absolutely!! In the process of moving back now! And not a moment too soon
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

snowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud of

getting back to the original poll .. we have been here 4 months

Do I regret it ?...Not really
Best choice ?... It has made my kids happy.. they have thrived, have more friends.. more space.. more freedom .. and more childhood..thats why I came here ..to offer them that so yes for now its one of my better choices.

Was it easy to settle? no damm hard... I still struggle daily. Not because I want to go back to the uk..but because I want things to be familiar to me.It all remains so new and different

recently burst into tears in Walmart when came across the "English" items.

I really hope that feeling goes away..
I have decided to be here to experience all four seasons and embrace them.. do all the things I dreamt of doing.. then as a family we will sit round the table and decide on the next move..

Really its same shit... different bucket !
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowhugs
getting back to the original poll .. we have been here 4 months

Do I regret it ?...Not really
Best choice ?... It has made my kids happy.. they have thrived, have more friends.. more space.. more freedom .. and more childhood..thats why I came here ..to offer them that so yes for now its one of my better choices.

Was it easy to settle? no damm hard... I still struggle daily. Not because I want to go back to the uk..but because I want things to be familiar to me.It all remains so new and different

recently burst into tears in Walmart when came across the "English" items.

I really hope that feeling goes away..
I have decided to be here to experience all four seasons and embrace them.. do all the things I dreamt of doing.. then as a family we will sit round the table and decide on the next move..

Really its same shit... different bucket !
you've summed it up already!...well 4mnths is still early days give it a good 2-3years then you'll know for sure. I hated it the first 18mnths then got used to it still not 100% to say its our ideal choice but I have no regrets.
As far as going for the children yes they may have another opportunity but that will not change the way YOU feel if your still bursting into tears & missing UK in a years time (after all seasons) i dont think that feeling will go away. When I got home sick I visited UK (after 2+yrs) it helped but that "feeling" never went for me now we're deciding after nearly 4yrs to return back permanently after citizenship which is currently in process.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:18 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowhugs

.. different bucket !
Curious on what you meant by more freedom?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Talk about cheese scale? You only have to glance at the tv to see how cheesy it is here. And I have read most of the tosh on North American exceptionalism and I'm firmly in the unexceptional declinism camp. Keep drinking the Cool Aid love.
Is that why life expectancy is longer in Canada than in the UK?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:49 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Positivist.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:44 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Curious on what you meant by more freedom?
Easier access to street drugs.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:47 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
There may well be a long history of discussion that I've missed here, but, as a reply to what you quoted, I've no idea why you posted that.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:49 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There may well be a long history of discussion that I've missed here, but, as a reply to what you quoted, I've no idea why you posted that.
Let's just say there's been friction.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:47 pm
ak9
Forum Regular

ak9 is an unknown quantity at this point

To all those who live in Canada now - how would you rate the work/life balance? and things like holiday allowance over all??
Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=ak9;10679inl those who live in Canada now - how would you rate the work/life balance? and things like holiday allowance over all??[/QUOTE]

Hi having lived in canada nearly 4yrs I'd rate the work/life balance differs to UK (but depends on job) I was lucky to work in school so had school hols off. Before working at a school i found holiday allowance much better in UK having 3/4 wks off pa was reasonable excluding extra bank hols...I like the UK holiday school system better (half term every 6wks) as opposed to Canada just one week march break & IMO summer holidays were far too long (even with the sunshine over 2mnths gets boring unless travelling abroad)

I guess you have to try & find your own balance & what works best for you (& family)
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the only people who overrate it are Canadians that have never travelled.
It has a pretty good reputation and it is usually on those Mercer/UN 'best cities' lists for those that are into that sort of thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.