Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Difference?

The Difference?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Difference?

For me, the differences are these:

I have next to no holiday entitlement from my employers. But on the weekends, instead of contending with a dreary London landscape and dreaming of spending my 4 - 5 weeks holiday entitlement in a tropical or alpine climate, i instead go to the beach and harass seals and eagles during the summer and hit the slopes during the winter, spending much less money on lift passes and accommodation than those pesky tourists!

Food prices still give me palpitations and rent isn't too fantastic either.... but then you consider the quality of what you get; the rented properties are much bigger and more pleasant in their forms and functions and the food is (as long as you shop wisely) beyond the 'Tesco Finest' quality.

Same price, but much much better.

Strangers say hello when they pass you by; car drivers are complete retards (probably a mutual feeling) but usually courteous as opposed to imminently violent; streets are pleasant and tree lined and in Vancouver at least, everybody simply appears to be happy, really really happy to be alive and thus, are endlessly eager to make the most of life and its opportunities.

I cannot, even with those who i have left behind in mind, fathom a reason to trade time spent here, for visiting the UK even for a moment.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
That was the point I was making. It is difficult to find jobs in most professions at the moment, both in Canada and England
Were you, btw, in Toronto last night? We passed an illegally parked Ferrari, plated "NOTGILTI". It seemly like a lawyerly conveyance.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:48 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeremy James
This has got to be an advantage, surely?!
Unfortunately you don't have enough vacation leave from work to actually make the most of it. Unless you're retired of course

What you're not telling me is that you're a motorcyclist and able to filter through the traffic.....
I wish. My wife has banned me from two wheels for the foreseeable future

Oh yes. I avoid it whenever possible. The M1 is brilliant ever since its expansion, the M25 though.. traffic can be so thick the sheer density of vehicles bends time! Ok, so I'm exaggerating a fraction.
The main difference is that when the M25 gets crazy, you have the option to divert off it and onto other routes in many areas.

All that said, i still very much enjoy Canada and am looking forward to living there permanently again, warts and all. Not looking forward to the pay cut though.

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
The picture of the sealion is brilliant.

Thank you. It was as close as I wanted to get. Old fish remains, sealion poop and seaweed offers quite a heady aroma.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
And yes England did some shity thing during the occupations of the colonies, but Iā€™m on about what Canada does now (or doesnā€™t) and how it treats it native population now.. and Having spent t some time on a reserve( where my wife used to teach) and actually met and talked to people there. Yes, the current population do deserve such a comment, partly due to their indifference to the squalid conditions and lack of support, and partly due to their desire for the native to go away and give up what little of their land they have left for development !
I would suggest that Canadians are indifferent to the circumstances that most low income people in Canada find themselves in, much the same way that most English are indifferent to the position of those on council estates.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Were you, btw, in Toronto last night? We passed an illegally parked Ferrari, plated "NOTGILTI". It seemly like a lawyerly conveyance.
I wasn`t, but the wife may have?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I wasn`t, but the wife may have?

I'm not the only one to notice the car: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kearsian/4722466339/
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Oh and beer in pubs is London priced.... plus it isn't sold in supermarkets..... and off licenses are usually shut on sundays and they are the only place that sells booze at a half decent rate.

This all means that instead of my UK 'habit' one or two pints per week, i actually drink more over here, coz we make sure the fridge is stocked up and thus beer becomes more readily available!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I do a 35 hour week with 4 weeks vacation and Flex-time. I also get 3 weeks per year of what they call wellness and up to 2 years paid sick leave. You can take wellness days whenever you want, but if you don't use them, you lose them.

The other day I took a wellness day so I could watch the world cup, I felt much better after that.

There are many social days each year including six pot lucks, And three management sponsored meals (including Halloween when you are expected to come in a costume), a BBQ and a compulsory golf tournament (if you do not take part you have to work).

They also have many social events in the evenings and weekends.

There is also a day each year when the other workers bring me food and gifts to show how much they appreciate all my hard work.

The pay is good, the organization is funded by health Canada.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake

The other day I took a wellness day so I could watch the world cup, I felt much better after that.
Funny, I felt sick after watching the last one.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do a 35 hour week with 4 weeks vacation and Flex-time. I also get 3 weeks per year of what they call wellness and up to 2 years paid sick leave. You can take wellness days whenever you want, but if you don't use them, you lose them.

There are many social days each year including six pot lucks, And three management sponsored meals (including Halloween when you are expected to come in a costume), a BBQ and a compulsory golf tournament (if you do not take part you have to work).

There is also a day each year when the other workers bring me food and gifts to show how much they appreciate all my hard work.

Are you the Queen?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Like all good jokes, in the last sentence it all becomes clear.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The pay is good, the organization is funded by your taxes hahahaha.
I'll just fix that for you.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Unfortunately you don't have enough vacation leave from work to actually make the most of it. Unless you're retired of course .
A think we need to put this hoary old myth to bed. Yes, some people have little vacation but if:

a) you are in demand you negotiate more, or
b) self-employed you take whatever time you want, or
c) work for an organization that allows overtime to be banked you can easily earn yourself an additional two or three weeks or,
d) has flex time or individual shift patterns then you can extend six or seven statutory holidays into six or seven weeks holiday by careful use of your "two weeks" holiday pay.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A think we need to put this hoary old myth to bed. Yes, some people have little vacation but if:

a) you are in demand you negotiate more, or
b) self-employed you take whatever time you want, or
c) work for an organization that allows overtime to be banked you can easily earn yourself an additional two or three weeks or,
d) has flex time or individual shift patterns then you can extend six or seven statutory holidays into six or seven weeks holiday by careful use of your "two weeks" holiday pay.
Clearly you dont work in manufacturing, but lets face it, there are very few of us left that do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.