Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Diesel cars in Canada ?

Diesel cars in Canada ?

Old Jun 13th 2006, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future
Default Re: Diesel cars in Canada ?

Hello Steve...

Interesting articles...

Re the "stringent emission regulations" most of Europe has similar regulations.

VW engines meet North American regulations and you can bet that Peugeot, Saab and the rest of them can meet the regulations just as easily.

How can the trucks that blow smoke along the length and breadth of Canada pass the regulations but {say} a Saab 9-3 fail to pass ?

The real smoke screen is the interested parties, oil companies and Governments, if we millions of us bought diesel vehicles and travelled twice as far for the same amount of $'s they would both feel the pinch.

It's not in their interest to let us drive diesels, last thing on their mind is the environment... the only thing they care about is the revenue...

Canada Bob.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 3:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
According to a small article in today's Calgary Herald I'll include the link but warn you in advance that it is a subscription only accessible piece.

Honda developing cleanest diesel engine.

The gist of the piece is that Honda has announced it "will begin selling what it says will be the world's cleanest diesel engine in the U.S., Japan, Europe and emerging markets after 2009."

Honda said it "is developing a four-cylinder diesel engine, which it says will have the world's lowest emissions."

Honda also stated that it "had been working on altering diesel engines it sells in Europe to meet U.S. environmental regulations." In addition they are apparently working on a six cylinder diesel as well but didn't state the target market.

Is this perhaps a reason why we don't see too many diesels here in North America. We have more stringent environmental regulations, and thus the European car makers can't import their vehicles without lowering the emissions.

That seems hard to believe but that is what they appear to be saying.

Cheers
Steve
That's not so hard to believe, the US (especially California) has long had more stringent emissions standards than Europe. Having lived away from London for a long time I now find it's difficult to enjoy a cigarette in the street there because of the smell of the cars.

There are, btw, two VW W8s on our street. I hadn't paid much attention as they don't look very special but I checked last night. They still don't look very special.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 3:37 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canada Bob
How can the trucks that blow smoke along the length and breadth of Canada pass the regulations but {say} a Saab 9-3 fail to pass ?
I'm not about to get into a discussion with you on this issue as I know very little about it and just found the article and remembered this thread.

However and again I'm not at all sure, but I don't think that trucks have to meet the same stringent regulations that cars do. So perhaps it might be unfair to compare the two.

Cheers
steve
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future

I'm not about to get into a discussion with you on this issue as I know very little about it and just found the article and remembered this thread.

However and again I'm not at all sure, but I don't think that trucks have to meet the same stringent regulations that cars do. So perhaps it might be unfair to compare the two.

Cheers
steve
Hello Steve, hey, hope you didn't think my comments {of anguish} were aimed at you Steve, anything but, it just winds me up the disinformation that the public is subjected to, I value and appreciate your comments and the articles. Apologies if my comments came over in the wrong manner.

Canada Bob.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:17 pm

Hello Steve, hey, hope you didn't think my comments {of anguish} were aimed at you Steve, anything but, it just winds me up the disinformation that the public is subjected to, I value and appreciate your comments and the articles. Apologies if my comments came over in the wrong manner.

Canada Bob.
No, no.

No offense taken, I just meant that I don't know enough about the subject to get into a serious discussion.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
There are, btw, two VW W8s on our street. I hadn't paid much attention as they don't look very special but I checked last night. They still don't look very special.
Looks are deceiving that's for sure, most folks would notice a difference between the base model Passat and the V6 or the W8, but both of them can fly... Great driving cars, but I've been there, done that, more interested in 60 MPG than 60 MPH these days, then again with a diesel it no problem to get both...

Re the smoke on the streets of London, aye, fair enough, but look at the density of traffic on those streets, most of them in 1st gear, that's why folks are choking from it.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Re the smoke on the streets of London, aye, fair enough, but look at the density of traffic on those streets, most of them in 1st gear, that's why folks are choking from it.

I don't think London has the traffic density we do here; there just isn't enough road in London. The 401, for example, is 16 lanes of nearly stationary cars for all the daylight hours. Yes, the M25 is slow, but it's not slower and it has less lanes so the traffic density is higher here. I think London smells worse, despite being less crowded with cars, because emmisions controls are a relatively new requirement there and there are still lots of cars and trucks burning petrol and diesel inefficiently.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

No, no.

No offense taken, I just meant that I don't know enough about the subject to get into a serious discussion.

Cheers
Steve
Hello Steve...

Cor Blimey, doesn't stop anyone over here from debating about things they know nowt about

Did you have a look at that "ice that burns" ? there's enough off the coast of Canada East & West coasts to keep Canada going for 20,000 years, not that we'll do that, we'll flog it off the the Yanks having said that they are well blessed with enormous amounts of frozen methane off the coast of Carolina, enough to keep them going for a few thousand years, I'm just hoping that the A rabs don't find any, be nice to have the boot in the other foot {when we put it in}...

Off to watch France beat the Toblerones now, hope they do, I'm on 'em.

All the Best,

Canada Bob.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think London has the traffic density we do here; there just isn't enough road in London. The 401, for example, is 16 lanes of nearly stationary cars for all the daylight hours. Yes, the M25 is slow, but it's not slower and it has less lanes so the traffic density is higher here. I think London smells worse, despite being less crowded with cars, because emmisions controls are a relatively new requirement there and there are still lots of cars and trucks burning petrol and diesel inefficiently.
Not sure what the traffic density is in Toron'o, but recent figures for central London {8 sq miles} say that on average, during the day there are 250,000 vehicles on the roads in those 8 sq miles, sounds like a lot to me, >30,000 per square mile...

I think the first emmission controls in the UK came out in the mid 80's, they have proved to be effective, even London aint as bad as it used to be. It's the stuff that we can't smell that is likely to cause us more harm than say sulphur.

I think we'd be better off in more ways than one if a gallon of fuel went twice as far, but the only folks to benefit from that are us, but who's on our side !
Old Jun 13th 2006, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

tom5sk is on a distinguished road

Diesel fuel in america/canada is undergoing the same changes experienced by europe in the 90's (sulphur is being removed).This is only occuring this year so diesl engine pollution will improve and the fuel efficient engines produced in europe will become available I expect.

Once sulphur is removed catalysts and filters become available which again would reduce pollution to acceptable levels (i believe the sulphur poisons the catalysts)

The next generation hybrids of diesel - electric will also make an appearance and will be even more efficient than current pertol hybrids.

Last edited by tom5sk; Jun 13th 2006 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:57 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Ro you Finished crotcheting that fuel cap yet?
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom5sk
Diesel fuel in america/canada is undergoing the same changes experienced by europe in the 90's (sulphur is being removed).This is only occuring this year so diesl engine pollution will improve and the fuel efficient engines produced in europe will become available I expect.

Once sulphur is removed catalysts and filters become available which again would reduce pollution to acceptable levels (i believe the sulphur poisons the catalysts)

The next generation hybrids of diesel - electric will also make an appearance and will be even more efficient than current pertol hybrids.
Yep, that's exactly the situation Tom, it's the fuel in North America that's the problem {the sulphur content}, not the engines, no matter where they are made.

What I can't get my head around though is... how come it's fine to run a pick up with a diesel engine, but you can't bring {let's say} a Saab 9-3 into Canada because the fuel available in Canada would cause the "import" to fail the bleedin emissions test what's that all about

How come the less sophisticated {engines in the} pick ups etc don't fail the test ???

I think it's from the same school of thought that provides us with tires that wear out in 12-15,000 miles, when we have the technology to make a tire last 50,000 miles. You'd think that would be a priority so that we don't finish up with mountains of knackered tires from coast to coast. Again it's profit that drives the decision makers, with little if any concern for the environment, until Election time that is...

Canada Bob.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:43 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How come the less sophisticated {engines in the} pick ups etc don't fail the test
Cos they are trucks and dont have to meet the same standards.

One of the reasons car companies love SUVs is that they are classed as trucks and dont have to meet car economy standards. In fact I was told there is some trick to the way the legislation is framed in the US that means that because the SUVs are under the truck limits, that extra allowance can be applied to the emmisions of the car range, which exceed the mandated limits, so the fact that SUVs are technically trucks (even though most are built on car platforms now) means that US manufactureers can get away with less economical cars too!

Its just market economics though, the car companies are finding a way to supply what the US market want...big lazy torquey larger displacement engines, and frankly I wouldnt want to go back to a 1.0l 4 cylinder over a 2.5, but I wouldnt want to drive a 4l like I did when I first came here either.

You can bitch and moan about this all you like though, but the only thing you can do it make a personal decision not to drive a gas guzzler, and let the market decide which way its going to go on this.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by iaink

One of the reasons car companies love SUVs is that they are classed as trucks and dont have to meet car economy standards. In fact I was told there is some trick to the way the legislation is framed in the US that means that because the SUVs are under the truck limits, that extra allowance can be applied to the emmisions of the car range, which exceed the mandated limits, so the fact that SUVs are technically trucks (even though most are built on car platforms now) means that US manufactureers can get away with less economical cars too!

Its just market economics though, the car companies are finding a way to supply what the US market want...big lazy torquey larger displacement engines, and frankly I wouldnt want to go back to a 1.0l 4 cylinder over a 2.5, but I wouldnt want to drive a 4l like I did when I first came here either.

You can bitch and moan about this all you like though, but the only thing you can do it make a personal decision not to drive a gas guzzler, and let the market decide which way its going to go on this.
In addition to the SUV's, if I remember correctly the Mini-Vans were classed as trucks when they first came out so once again didn't have to meet the same emission standards or possibly crash worthiness as cars. I don't know if that has changed or not over the years.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink

Hello Iain... just goes to show that the talk about the environment is little more than that, the thirsty trucks are bad enough but then the low grade diesel that prevails in North America only adds to the problem, then they add insult to injury by doing their best to keep the new sophisticated diesel engines out of the market, under the pretence of the harm they would do to the environment

No need to go back to 1.0 litre engines when a 1.9 TDi will put out 150 HP, that's enough for most folks, lots of torque {being a diesel} and capable of more speed than most of us would have the nerve to use. I don't see a downside to these new diesels at all, well... not for the consumers that is, but they would affect the revenue of the oil companies and the Government if we started to buy them.

I won't be buying a gas guzzler {few do these days}, but I'm turned off against any gas engine right now, so I will be buying another diesel, the thing I don't like is is it's Hobsons Choice, VW or nowt... {I don't care for FWD so Mercedes is out}.

Interesting point you make about the SUV's being seen as trucks, marvelous aint it what they can do "they" {the auto companies} can do when they want, and get it through legislation without a problem...

Canada Bob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.