Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Decided not to go

Decided not to go

Old Dec 4th 2004, 6:45 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Decided not to go

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Time to kill this thread I think!
Yup, we have to stop since you're not interested in the discussion. After all, it's only stands at No.2 in the all time number of replies and No. 4 in all time views.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Yup, we have to stop since you're not interested in the discussion. After all, it's only stands at No.2 in the all time number of replies and No. 4 in all time views.
Please don't stop on our behalf. I love to see a thread go off-topic and 2 men acting like kids.....it's been my entertainment for the past 2 days. You guys are very good at this, I thought I was only one that could do it so well.

But what do I know.....I live in Victoria where despite the stats that say we don't get alot of rain, I disagree.......go figure.....
Old Dec 4th 2004, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Certainly our discussion was off topic - most threads on this forum end up that way without our help - but I did learn something worthwhile by your posts on this thread despite that. If you were honest, you would admit the same. If in your view, the discussion was a "waste of time", you didn't have to continue with it. A bigger problem for you though, is your inability to accept responsibility for your actions. Understand that most North American employers aren't impressed by those who tend to shirk responsibility - we see it as cowardice.
You have lost the logical argument and resort to random childish defamations. This is the problem when debating with an idiot, ultimately they'll lower you to their level and beat you with experience.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 9:08 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
You have lost the logical argument and resort to random childish defamations. This is the problem when debating with an idiot, ultimately they'll lower you to their level and beat you with experience.
Temper, temper, since when has logic ever motivated you? You're all about ego; take the following link for example. You won't be able to quit until it says you've won!

http://www.pagetutor.com/idiot/idiot.html

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 4th 2004 at 10:37 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 9:29 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by willmore
But what do I know.....I live in Victoria where despite the stats that say we don't get alot of rain, I disagree.......go figure.....
You really should write a note to Environment Canada setting them straight on the facts.

Look at how those buggers only ranked Victoria as the 26th rainiest community in Canada (out of the 100 largest) and only the 77th windiest (winter as well as summer).

http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/weather/winners/city.cfm

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 4th 2004 at 10:40 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:52 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

200 & thats that
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by liftman
200 & thats that
Oooh nooo it isn't !!!!

(it is panto season, after all)
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:19 am
the-smiths

Speaking of Pantos, that is one thing you don't get over here in Canada, there are similar things in Stratford ( Ontario ), but it's not called PANTO. So which of the celebs back home is doing what this year?

According to this story, a lot of people are going to have to be in the BEEBS pantomime this year, just to survive after xmas. Where is all that TV licence and Govt grant going?

Story:

BBC TO AXE THOUSANDS OF JOBS
Dec 7 2004

The BBC has announced that it is to axe thousands of jobs.

Staff were told that 2,900 jobs are to go as the corporation looks to save £320 million over the next three years.

Even more cuts are expected to be made in the new year.

Director General Mark Thompson announced the three-year plan in a special broadcast to his staff.

Human resources, training, finance, marketing, legal services and other non-programme-making departments are to be hardest hit by the cutbacks, with around 2,500 jobs going out of a total workforce of 6,500.

Another 400 jobs will be cut at the corporation's factual and learning departments.

Around 1,800 workers will also be moved out of London to a new regional centre in Manchester over the next five years.

Job losses in news and other departments are expected to be made in March.

Radio 5 Live, BBC Sport, and children's channels CBBC and CBeebies are among the departments leaving London.

The BBC employs a total of 27,000 staff.

Originally Posted by discouraged
Oooh nooo it isn't !!!!

(it is panto season, after all)

Old Dec 7th 2004, 1:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the-smiths
Speaking of Pantos, that is one thing you don't get over here in Canada, there are similar things in Stratford ( Ontario ), but it's not called PANTO.
Thats funny, my local Stirling theater has a wildly succesful Panto going on right now, and its called a Panto and everything. Granted, it doesnt have the B list celsbs that UK productions do, but do kids really care if Frank Bruno is the Geenie anyway?

http://www.stirlingfestivaltheatre.com/
Old Dec 7th 2004, 1:24 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats funny, my local Stirling theater has a wildly succesful Panto going on right now, and its called a Panto and everything. Granted, it doesnt have the B list celsbs that UK productions do, but do kids really care if Frank Bruno is the Geenie anyway?

http://www.stirlingfestivaltheatre.com/
Oooh thanks for that Iain. We might take the children to that (friend and child are coming with us on Thursday).

See you soon.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 1:25 pm
the-smiths

Kids will watch anything, even if there was a GREEN man in it, The same cannot be said about some adults.The story in the UK papers yesterday about the DJ's background, that was supposed to play at a get-together of some MORONS ( BNP ), says it all really.

Anyway.....I digress, we use to love the pantos back home, one of our favourite person being BAB WINDSOR ! Alright my luv......LOL

Last edited by the-smiths; Dec 7th 2004 at 1:33 pm.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 2:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Oooh thanks for that Iain. We might take the children to that (friend and child are coming with us on Thursday).

See you soon.
You're welcome, have fun Hope you are all packed up now!

I have to confess we havent made it there yet, despite it being right on our doorstep, but I hear good things about it. The concerts at the Westben barn are also on the "to do" list, once Iris is a bit more cooperative! I'm guessing you know about the Westben already, as its right in your backyard.

http://www.westben.on.ca/

Dont be a stranger!

Iain
Old Dec 29th 2004, 2:53 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by liftman
200 & thats that
That was a bloody long thread ... I wondered what had happened to Liftie ... explains why the forum seems to be so quiet and dull recently.

If you're still around, I'll add my best wishes for whatever you're doing in the future ... onwards & upwards

Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:46 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
That was a bloody long thread ... I wondered what had happened to Liftie ... explains why the forum seems to be so quiet and dull recently.

If you're still around, I'll add my best wishes for whatever you're doing in the future ... onwards & upwards
Just re read this gargantuan thread, and, apart from going so far off topic towards the end that it should have been mid atlantic, I still think it is relevant and should be read by newbies to the board.

Mrs Liftman and I will be headed out to NS with our boys in September for a real family holiday, but as it happens, not moving has been the best thing that happened to us!

I have been made a director of the company I work for. Huge salary increase . we are moving to a 5 bedroomed house in the best area of town...Jacuzzi and big gardens... My eldest son has joined my company as an apprentice and is going to get a trade..new company car..six weeks paid holiday.. what more can you want?

I'll still harbour a bit of a grudge against the petty NS bureaucrats, but life goes on.

Speak to you all soon.

Liftman
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have mentioned here before some people that my sisters knows in Vancouver. They are Belgian, I believe, and they are both qualified as lawyers in Belgium and are both working as a Notary Public in Vancouver.

I am not totally sure of all the facts, but I do know that they were encouraged to come to Canada because of the need for qualified lawyers. But nobody told them that they would have to start all over again - I am not sure if they have to take an undergraduate degree again or not. But for sure they have to start at the beginning and re-qualify as lawyers, which is why they are not working as lawyers. My sister said that they were nice people and seemed really intelligent. It was just that they did not think to ask when they were encouraged to come - whether they would have to start all over again. I suppose that maybe having not obtained a law degree in England - it should have occurred to them, but I get the impression that CIC people do not volunteer information. They wait for people to ask and if they don't ask - they don't get told.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.