Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Crime rates in Canada

Crime rates in Canada

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:07 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crime rates in Canada

The latest analysis. I'm not surprised that Quebec City comes out as the safest of the large cities. It always does. I didn't think Toronto would do so well, though.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ot...126/story.html
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Crime rates in Canada

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The latest analysis. I'm not surprised that Quebec City comes out as the safest of the large cities. It always does. I didn't think Toronto would do so well, though.

Theres a surprise! winnipeg (gun slingers ally) is top of the violent crime index!

Anyone know how vancouver did?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:28 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Theres a surprise! winnipeg (gun slingers ally) is top of the violent crime index!

Anyone know how vancouver did?
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...0421b3-eng.htm

Complete report at this link. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...90421b-eng.htm
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

thanks steve - interesting figures

That explains why my neighbour feel safe in winnipeg - she grew up in regina!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

thanks steve - interesting figures

That explains why my neighbour feel safe in winnipeg - she grew up in regina!!!
Ack Regina's not a bad wee place I've walked through the "hood" many a time and have friends who live right slap bang in the middle of it and have never seen or had any probs!

It feels like a very safe city to me...IMO!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

From our paper today.

New Brunswick has one of the lowest rates of severe crime in the country, suggests a new study....with respect to the seriousness of police-reported crime, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick had the lowest index values.

Sgt. Claude Tremblay of the RCMP said New Brunswick's ranking is consistent with what officers see every day in the province.

"The findings are quite accurate in the sense of what's been going on with the last five or six years," he said, describing the ranking as "good news."

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

hhmm i have to say that i'm shocked that Toronto fairs better than Ottawa. i had always envisaged Ottawa as being more sleepy and quiet and therefore assumed crime levels would be fairly low.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kancell
hhmm i have to say that i'm shocked that Toronto fairs better than Ottawa. i had always envisaged Ottawa as being more sleepy and quiet and therefore assumed crime levels would be fairly low.
Probably all those MP's up to no good stealing old ladies and beating up cars
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Probably all those MP's up to no good stealing old ladies and beating up cars
D'you know, I actually read that as one would have expected it to be and I was going to turn it around.
Then I realised you already had.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:46 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604609

please see above. all such reports are apparently a mass conspiracy to delude and bewilder and should not be given any credence whatsoever.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

In my opinion crime stats are quiet misleading. Realistically I would say people in Winnipeg feel much safer walking the streets than they do in Toronto. The reality is you have 25 murders a year in Winnipeg and you have 85 murders a year in Toronto. However you have "US" type ghettos in Toronto where as you dont in other smaller cities. This creates a feeling fear amongst the general public.

New York never has the highest murder rate in the USA, but again the majority of people do not feel safe walking around many areas at night.

So bottom line take what you will from those stats.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:28 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
In my opinion crime stats are quiet misleading. Realistically I would say people in Winnipeg feel much safer walking the streets than they do in Toronto. The reality is you have 25 murders a year in Winnipeg and you have 85 murders a year in Toronto. However you have "US" type ghettos in Toronto where as you dont in other smaller cities. This creates a feeling fear amongst the general public.

New York never has the highest murder rate in the USA, but again the majority of people do not feel safe walking around many areas at night.

So bottom line take what you will from those stats.

Also the majority of people in Winnipeg tend not to be dealing in, or high on, drugs in the North End at 2am.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

Not sure what the North End of Winnipeg is, but i would have to agree. Also in reading I saw the other year there were 5 gang related deaths in one year in Winnipeg. Whereas in toronto between the years of 1997 and 2005 over 300 gang-related deaths have occurred.

As well in the same year there were 5 murders with guns in one year in Winnipeg where is Toronto there have over 40 gun murders a year. Although there is a much larger population in Toronto it does nothing to calm the fears of the public who hear about these incidents much more frequently on the Greater Toronto Area news.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

By the way that is by no means meant to say that Toronto is a dangerous place.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:28 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
By the way that is by no means meant to say that Toronto is a dangerous place.
Nope quite clearly its much safer than most places in Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.