Reload this Page >

Credit Card help needed please

Credit Card help needed please

Old May 25th 2009, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit Card help needed please

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
We got asked for it when we bought our cars. What would happen if we refused to give it or question why they wanted it?
I've started refusing, and no bank has said they wont deal with me.
The problem I was finding is that by disclosing it, it was an immediate red flag.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:18 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
I've started refusing, and no bank has said they wont deal with me.
The problem I was finding is that by disclosing it, it was an immediate red flag.
I think I will take a leaf out of your book and not give it next time I am asked and see what happens.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future

I think I will take a leaf out of your book and not give it next time I am asked and see what happens.
I was told by a friend that the only people who should have your SIN other than you is your employer. Having said that, I too replied 'yes' when the guy at TD asked if my SIN started with a 9.. damn it. Secured Visa only for me..
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:16 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

hmm - we had HSBC premier account in Uk - came here and was offered & given HSBC credit card with $5k limit without even asking!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:36 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
hmm - we had HSBC premier account in Uk - came here and was offered & given HSBC credit card with $5k limit without even asking!
I had a First Direct account and mortgage in the UK so signed up with HSBC out here and got an unsecured credit card easily too
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

We have just arrived and wanted to get a credit card to start and build up a credit history. It will be paid off every month so interest rates not a problem.

We went to TD bank yesterday who we have an account with and they wanted a like for like deposit for what ever credit line we went for ie $1000 CLI = $1000 deposit which will be held for 5 years I think she said.

We dont have a problem putting down a deposit but thought that was a bit steep. I saw something on here a couple of months ago about a low deposit card but cant find it.

If anyone can give me any advise I would appreciate it.

Jacqui
HI guys

I just came to Calgary this January and I am with TD bank. I have got only one credit card with them and i have to put 2500 C$ as collateral on it. I have tried about 5 different banks to get a credit card with no deposit but no success. They all said cos of me being from the UK and no credit history here in Canada.

In the meantime i have bought a new car on instalments with Scotia bank...i can buy a new car on credit but cant get a credit card. It was good that I brought my UK credit card so that i can use it here.

Ibby
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Square is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just been given an MBNA Credit Card with a limited of $1,500 with no deposit as we had an MBNA in the UK. We tried to contact Visa & Mastercard but to no avail. TD also wanted a deposit as did Capital One! We are just happy to have a card so we can now start our credit rating!

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alanandson
I was told by a friend that the only people who should have your SIN other than you is your employer. Having said that, I too replied 'yes' when the guy at TD asked if my SIN started with a 9.. damn it. Secured Visa only for me..
If you look at the application forms the SIN number has "optional" beside it.... they use it for your credit check as an unambiguous identifier, i.e. to separate two John Smith's... But they can do that anyway as long as you provide enough information.

Legally, you do not have to provide it to them, nor can they impose it as a condition of acceptance.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:45 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband spoke to the branch manager, and she agreed on a smaller credit limit with no deposit.

We were happy with that, we didnt want the credit, we only wanted to build our credit rating.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We got asked for it when we bought our cars. What would happen if we refused to give it or question why they wanted it?
You don't have to give your SIN - and they don't have to give you credit. As far as I know.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ibbye13
HI guys

I just came to Calgary this January and I am with TD bank. I have got only one credit card with them and i have to put 2500 C$ as collateral on it. I have tried about 5 different banks to get a credit card with no deposit but no success. They all said cos of me being from the UK and no credit history here in Canada.

In the meantime i have bought a new car on instalments with Scotia bank...i can buy a new car on credit but cant get a credit card. It was good that I brought my UK credit card so that i can use it here.

Ibby
haven't tried for car credit here as as I'm on a TWP I just assumed I get told .. and the fact I only have one month of credit history
Old Jul 4th 2009, 6:16 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheepnis
Has any TWP holder with a decent credit history managed to get another non-secured credit card without any problems?

there's a really great cashback card out there that i wanted; as soon as the CS rep on the found learnt of the 9 at the start of my SIN, he told me to reapply once i get PR
I'd venture that every new immigrant to canada has a zero credit rating in Canada, regardless of how their rating was in their previous country.

Banks are only legally required to obtain your SIN if you're applying to open any accounts on which interest will be paid, so that Canada revenue Agency can asses this as income earned.

Instead of applying for a secured or regular credit card, all I did was apply for a BMO prepay Mastercard. I load my money onto it, and it's enough for me for now.

Originally Posted by jericho
Best thing is not to disclose your SIN number.
As was mentioned earlier, only your employer and Canada Revenue Agency are entitled to ask for your SIN, and your employer only after you've been offered employment with them. They can ask if you have one before then, but not whether it starts with a 9 or not.

Another thing I found was that if you give them a SIN beginning with a 9, they want to see the Temporary Work permit as well to verify the date your temporary SIN number runs out. I believe this is okay.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Square
We have just been given an MBNA Credit Card with a limited of $1,500 with no deposit as we had an MBNA in the UK. We tried to contact Visa & Mastercard but to no avail. TD also wanted a deposit as did Capital One! We are just happy to have a card so we can now start our credit rating!

Did you contact MBNA canada or MBNA uk??
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:48 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Got a $5k HSBC unsecured Mastercard before coming over, but recently applied for an AmEx (after 10 months being here) and got declined - see thread I started on this for more detail...
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by G77
Got a $5k HSBC unsecured Mastercard before coming over, but recently applied for an AmEx (after 10 months being here) and got declined - see thread I started on this for more detail...
Do you have a link?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.