British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Credit Card help needed please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/credit-card-help-needed-please-610704/)

Miss Clinique May 22nd 2009 3:39 pm

Credit Card help needed please

We have just arrived and wanted to get a credit card to start and build up a credit history. It will be paid off every month so interest rates not a problem.

We went to TD bank yesterday who we have an account with and they wanted a like for like deposit for what ever credit line we went for ie $1000 CLI = $1000 deposit which will be held for 5 years I think she said.

We dont have a problem putting down a deposit but thought that was a bit steep. I saw something on here a couple of months ago about a low deposit card but cant find it.

If anyone can give me any advise I would appreciate it.

Jacqui

Brownstar May 22nd 2009 3:42 pm

Re: Credit Card help needed please

Capital One do a credit card for recently landed immigrants, I got one with no deposit quite easily. Plus I got one from HSBC as I had banked with them in the UK

Miss Clinique May 22nd 2009 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Brownstar (Post 7595814)

Capital One - thats it. Thanks for the reminder

Hollis Family May 23rd 2009 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian (Post 7595805)
We have just arrived and wanted to get a credit card to start and build up a credit history. It will be paid off every month so interest rates not a problem.

We went to TD bank yesterday who we have an account with and they wanted a like for like deposit for what ever credit line we went for ie $1000 CLI = $1000 deposit which will be held for 5 years I think she said.

We dont have a problem putting down a deposit but thought that was a bit steep. I saw something on here a couple of months ago about a low deposit card but cant find it.

If anyone can give me any advise I would appreciate it.

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui

When my hubby landed 5 weeks ago he opened up a select account with TD, we already had a savings account with them. He was issued with a Visa card with a $5k limit with no deposit on it. I think it really depends on the manager in the branch that you use!

Michelle

tmb May 23rd 2009 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hollis Family (Post 7597584)
Hi Jacqui

When my hubby landed 5 weeks ago he opened up a select account with TD, we already had a savings account with them. He was issued with a Visa card with a $5k limit with no deposit on it. I think it really depends on the manager in the branch that you use!

Michelle

I spent 12 months in Clagary (2 x 6 months) on my passport during this time I opend a account with CIBC and recieved a phone allasking if I wanted a credit card with them. i have $3500 credit limit, nodeposit required and I got 15k Aero plan points which also accumolate when I make purchases with the card. So shop around

Brownstar May 23rd 2009 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by tmb (Post 7597949)
I spent 12 months in Clagary (2 x 6 months) on my passport during this time I opend a account with CIBC and recieved a phone allasking if I wanted a credit card with them. i have $3500 credit limit, nodeposit required and I got 15k Aero plan points which also accumolate when I make purchases with the card. So shop around

The credit crunch has hit badly and its very hard to get a credit card now, I've tried both CIBC and RBC and both have said no. Capital One said that they had put a blanket freeze on any credit limit increases too.

destinationnovascotia May 23rd 2009 7:51 pm

We got a no deposit credit card from HSBC last summer with a limit of $3500. I don't know if anything has changed in the last 9 months on this though

Special1 May 24th 2009 9:41 am

Hi,
I have been in BC for under 2 months and after the initial shock on how banks may charge you for you to get access to your money, I have opened a non-deposit credit card with TD Bank, limit is only CAN$1,000.

I was informed about increased limit but that I need to have deposit of that increased about to obtain the increased limit.

Its interesting what others have posted about speaking to the manager... I want my limit increased but without having to do the deposit thang - what are my chances?! I will give it go anyway!

Wish me luck!?!
S

ellejay May 24th 2009 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Brownstar (Post 7595814)

We have an HSBC account and hopefully will be on our way to Vancouver early next year. Did HSBC issue you with a credit card inthe UK or did you have to apply for one once you got to Canada?

Thanks Lisa and Rich:thumbup:

cheepnis May 24th 2009 6:42 pm

Has any TWP holder with a decent credit history managed to get another non-secured credit card without any problems?

there's a really great cashback card out there that i wanted; as soon as the CS rep on the found learnt of the 9 at the start of my SIN, he told me to reapply once i get PR :(

destinationnovascotia May 24th 2009 7:28 pm

We are here on a TWP. Openend bank accounts on a recce a few months before we moved over and arranged for the credit cards to be delivered the week we were due to get here. We didn't even have a SIN at that point.

jericho May 25th 2009 12:34 am

Best thing is not to disclose your SIN number.

Special1 May 25th 2009 5:24 am

Hi,

Please explain why should not disclose your SIN number - does this apply to credit cards and also bank (chequing/savings) cards ?

Thanx,
S

MarkG May 25th 2009 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Special1 (Post 7601153)
Please explain why should not disclose your SIN number - does this apply to credit cards and also bank (chequing/savings) cards ?

Identity theft.

The only time you should give someone your SIN is when you're legally obliged to; for example, if you're starting work or you want to open a tax-free savings account.

Miss Clinique May 25th 2009 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 7601190)
Identity theft.

The only time you should give someone your SIN is when you're legally obliged to; for example, if you're starting work or you want to open a tax-free savings account.

We got asked for it when we bought our cars. What would happen if we refused to give it or question why they wanted it?