Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Credit Card help needed please

Credit Card help needed please

Old May 22nd 2009, 3:39 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Card help needed please

We have just arrived and wanted to get a credit card to start and build up a credit history. It will be paid off every month so interest rates not a problem.

We went to TD bank yesterday who we have an account with and they wanted a like for like deposit for what ever credit line we went for ie $1000 CLI = $1000 deposit which will be held for 5 years I think she said.

We dont have a problem putting down a deposit but thought that was a bit steep. I saw something on here a couple of months ago about a low deposit card but cant find it.

If anyone can give me any advise I would appreciate it.

Jacqui
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:42 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Card help needed please

Capital One do a credit card for recently landed immigrants, I got one with no deposit quite easily. Plus I got one from HSBC as I had banked with them in the UK
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Capital One - thats it. Thanks for the reminder
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
We have just arrived and wanted to get a credit card to start and build up a credit history. It will be paid off every month so interest rates not a problem.

We went to TD bank yesterday who we have an account with and they wanted a like for like deposit for what ever credit line we went for ie $1000 CLI = $1000 deposit which will be held for 5 years I think she said.

We dont have a problem putting down a deposit but thought that was a bit steep. I saw something on here a couple of months ago about a low deposit card but cant find it.

If anyone can give me any advise I would appreciate it.

Jacqui
Hi Jacqui

When my hubby landed 5 weeks ago he opened up a select account with TD, we already had a savings account with them. He was issued with a Visa card with a $5k limit with no deposit on it. I think it really depends on the manager in the branch that you use!

Michelle
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:47 pm
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hollis Family
Hi Jacqui

When my hubby landed 5 weeks ago he opened up a select account with TD, we already had a savings account with them. He was issued with a Visa card with a $5k limit with no deposit on it. I think it really depends on the manager in the branch that you use!

Michelle
I spent 12 months in Clagary (2 x 6 months) on my passport during this time I opend a account with CIBC and recieved a phone allasking if I wanted a credit card with them. i have $3500 credit limit, nodeposit required and I got 15k Aero plan points which also accumolate when I make purchases with the card. So shop around
Old May 23rd 2009, 4:12 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tmb
I spent 12 months in Clagary (2 x 6 months) on my passport during this time I opend a account with CIBC and recieved a phone allasking if I wanted a credit card with them. i have $3500 credit limit, nodeposit required and I got 15k Aero plan points which also accumolate when I make purchases with the card. So shop around
The credit crunch has hit badly and its very hard to get a credit card now, I've tried both CIBC and RBC and both have said no. Capital One said that they had put a blanket freeze on any credit limit increases too.
Old May 23rd 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We got a no deposit credit card from HSBC last summer with a limit of $3500. I don't know if anything has changed in the last 9 months on this though
Old May 24th 2009, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Credit Card help needed please

Hi,
I have been in BC for under 2 months and after the initial shock on how banks may charge you for you to get access to your money, I have opened a non-deposit credit card with TD Bank, limit is only CAN$1,000.

I was informed about increased limit but that I need to have deposit of that increased about to obtain the increased limit.

Its interesting what others have posted about speaking to the manager... I want my limit increased but without having to do the deposit thang - what are my chances?! I will give it go anyway!

Wish me luck!?!
S
Old May 24th 2009, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

ellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant futureellejay has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Brownstar
We have an HSBC account and hopefully will be on our way to Vancouver early next year. Did HSBC issue you with a credit card inthe UK or did you have to apply for one once you got to Canada?

Thanks Lisa and Rich
Old May 24th 2009, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

Has any TWP holder with a decent credit history managed to get another non-secured credit card without any problems?

there's a really great cashback card out there that i wanted; as soon as the CS rep on the found learnt of the 9 at the start of my SIN, he told me to reapply once i get PR
Old May 24th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We are here on a TWP. Openend bank accounts on a recce a few months before we moved over and arranged for the credit cards to be delivered the week we were due to get here. We didn't even have a SIN at that point.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:34 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Best thing is not to disclose your SIN number.
Old May 25th 2009, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Please explain why should not disclose your SIN number - does this apply to credit cards and also bank (chequing/savings) cards ?

Thanx,
S
Old May 25th 2009, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Special1
Please explain why should not disclose your SIN number - does this apply to credit cards and also bank (chequing/savings) cards ?
Identity theft.

The only time you should give someone your SIN is when you're legally obliged to; for example, if you're starting work or you want to open a tax-free savings account.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG
Identity theft.

The only time you should give someone your SIN is when you're legally obliged to; for example, if you're starting work or you want to open a tax-free savings account.
We got asked for it when we bought our cars. What would happen if we refused to give it or question why they wanted it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.