Cost of living in Vancouver?

Cost of living in Vancouver?

Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

baylissboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Vancouver?

Hi,

I'm after a little advice/help.

I've been approached by an employment agency who are trying to recruit vehicle technicians to work in a new dealer in Vancouver. I've not really looked into the type of visa etc that I'll need, I'll look at that if I decide to proceed, but what I was wondering was:

A, What is the average salary for the area, or what level of salary would I need to have a good standard of living?

B, What are the better areas to look for property?

C, How much approx would it cost to re-locate, taking into account I'd be bringing my stuff in a container & I'd be bringing 2 motorbikes with me? Would I have to pay import duty on the bikes?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Vancouver?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Cost_of_Living_in_Canada

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

HTH, and welcome.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Thank you.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baylissboy
Hi,

I'm after a little advice/help.

I've been approached by an employment agency who are trying to recruit vehicle technicians to work in a new dealer in Vancouver. I've not really looked into the type of visa etc that I'll need, I'll look at that if I decide to proceed, but what I was wondering was:

A, What is the average salary for the area, or what level of salary would I need to have a good standard of living?
Average salary is around $55,000 to $60,000. Families do live off that but I would question moving halfway around the world for it. As a single guy its OK - much depends on how expensive your hobbies are. Property and rents are expensive here so your standard of living will depend very much on your housing choice/area.

B, What are the better areas to look for property?
Somewhere near work. There are good and bad areas all over the region. If you can tell us where you will be working and how much of a commute you can tolerate we can help more.

C, How much approx would it cost to re-locate, taking into account I'd be bringing my stuff in a container & I'd be bringing 2 motorbikes with me? Would I have to pay import duty on the bikes?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Check that you are allowed to import the bikes. You should not have to pay tax/duty if they are for personal use unless they are brand new.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:05 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Somewhere near work. There are good and bad areas all over the region. If you can tell us where you will be working and how much of a commute you can tolerate we can help more.

+1
Old Jan 29th 2014, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Check that you are allowed to import the bikes. You should not have to pay tax/duty if they are for personal use unless they are brand new.
They have to be over 15 years old AND you do have to pay tax/duty on all motor vehicles which you import.

They aren't treated the same way as you other personal belongings for tax and duty purposes.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:25 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
They have to be over 15 years old AND you do have to pay tax/duty on all motor vehicles which you import.

They aren't treated the same way as you other personal belongings for tax and duty purposes.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't know that.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies guys, you've all been very helpful.

$55-60k, would that keep a family with 2 kids?

I've been told that the dealer is "Downtown Vancouver", it's a new Audi dealer, does anybody know it? I'd be looking for an area within 30 mins drive, any ideas? I'm in the rather difficult position that I now live in Stoke-on-Trent, which is a relatively cheap area for houseing, I've got a 3 bedroom detached house, with double garage on quite a nice houseing estate. I'd estimate the value to be approx £180-200K, I know I wouldn't get anywhere near this if I moved south, so I'm guessing I won't get anything like that in Vancouver either?

One of the bikes is over 15 years, the other one isn't, does that mean I wouldn't be allowed to bring that newer one? Both bikes are valued at approx £20K each, any idea how much tax I would have to pay?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix

Ya sure about that? Can you point me to the applicable legislation or link?
Former residents only pay on the value over $10,000 when moving back to Canada.
A new immigrant or PR pays no duties or federal taxes on the importation of their vehicle providing it meets the requirements.
A visitor or temporary resident (worker/student) doesn't pay either.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:44 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys, you've all been very helpful.

I've been told that the dealer is "Downtown Vancouver", it's a new Audi dealer, does anybody know it? I'd be looking for an area within 30 mins drive, any ideas? I'm in the rather difficult position that I now live in Stoke-on-Trent, which is a relatively cheap area for houseing, I've got a 3 bedroom detached house, with double garage on quite a nice houseing estate. I'd estimate the value to be approx £180-200K, I know I wouldn't get anywhere near this if I moved south, so I'm guessing I won't get anything like that in Vancouver either?

One of the bikes is over 15 years, the other one isn't, does that mean I wouldn't be allowed to bring that newer one? Both bikes are valued at approx £20K each, any idea how much tax I would have to pay?

ooohkay, you have 2 kids. Do you have a partner as well? Will he/she be working too?

55-65 is doable, but I'd push for 65k (you can negotiate) because it will go quickly.

check out craigslist and padmapper for rentals.

30 mins drive - um, Burnaby, North Van, Port Moody, Coquitlam, Richmond, Delta. Depending hugely on traffic though - I would recommend avoiding areas accessible by bridge or tunnel as those get blocked easily and/or you are paying a toll. Except in North Van.

Loads of options. I think we have some wikis about Vancouver & burbs somewhere.

check out mls.ca to get an idea of real estate pricing. Houses can be very $$$$, but if you're open to living in a townhouse or condo it will give you more options.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

IMO not easily. People do manage on that, and even less, but it's nothing like luxury living. $60k will net you an average of $4,000 a month. If you need to pay rent or a mortgage I would think very seriously about this. If not, then maybe. Of course, if your spouse can work then things can be lot easier.

The dealership will be on Burrard and 2nd I believe. That is just across False Creek from the downtown core. For £200,000 ($360,000) you could only get a 1 bed 1 bath apartment within walking distance. If you look in eastern Burnaby you will be able to find 3 bed 2 bath townhomes in your price range. This will be within 30 minutes by bike. See this for an example http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetai...d=13996331#v=d
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:13 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Ya sure about that? Can you point me to the applicable legislation or link?

A new immigrant or PR pays no duties or federal taxes on the importation of their vehicle providing it meets the requirements.

I imported a bike over 15yrs old. Paid no taxes on it - just listed it in the goods to follow documentation like other personal possessions.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again guys......I'm building up a picture....with your help!!
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

I'd hope that my Mrs would be able to get a job, she works in a laundry at the minute, but she's not afraid of hard work & would take anything on offer. What is the job situation at this time, is there much unemployment? Would she be allowed to work straight away?

I've had a quick look at what property's available in my price range, it's as I thought, not as good as I've got here!
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

Another thing to consider is the reliability of the work. I understand that auto mechanics are usually paid by piece work. Each job is worth $X and you are paid for the jobs you do. A poster called Piff Poff's husband is an auto mechanic and she said he was able to increase his earnings by taking on jobs the other mechanics did not want.

The downside is that if it is a quiet day there is less chance to earn money. Fortunately, Audi seem to be a popular brand.

In many jobs it is work and earn, no work no money. Employers are not obliged to provide work. Temporary layoffs are common. Some employers will send people home early if things are quiet. If you will be paid by piecework rather than salary treat verbal assurances about how much work there will be with caution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.