Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

cost of moving to canada

cost of moving to canada

Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Karlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of moving to canada

hi there i was wondering how much would be a good amount of money to have if i wanted to emigrate to canada (sasketchewan) for a family of 4 two adults and two children 10 and 3years old from start to finish so i am up and running in canada thanks
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of moving to canada

As much as you can. I know its an open ended answer, but its an open ended question too.

The minimum is laid out on the CIC site, but its not really enough.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

thats what i thought but if someone has already made the move they would have some idea of a minimum amount because i wouldnt want to run out of money before i have finished the process it would be pointless just wondering if anyone had done it already and had an idea because my amount might not be enough cheers karlton
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:51 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Would you have a job to go to or would you be looking for work ? What do you do for a living ?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

hi there i am a carpenter and would hope to have some arranged employment within a week or two of landing cheers karlton
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:02 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlton
hi there i am a carpenter and would hope to have some arranged employment within a week or two of landing cheers karlton
While I have no idea what the demand for carpenters is there the Province of Saskatchewan is in good economic times at the moment. However, don't be too optimistic about getting a job "in a week or two". What if you don't get one ? How long could you survive ?
There are quite e few folks on here that are carpenters so maybe they can tell you their stories.
Good luck anyway.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

thats what i thought but if someone has already made the move they would have some idea of a minimum amount because i wouldnt want to run out of money before i have finished the process it would be pointless just wondering if anyone had done it already and had an idea because my amount might not be enough cheers karlton
Thats why CIC dictate how much you need to be able to show at the time you land... what do they say?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

cheers i would use a company and pay for there services to help with finding work and relocation thanks for your reply
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

cheers i would use a company and pay for there services to help with finding work and relocation thanks for your reply
If money is an issue you are probably better off doing that yourself and saving some cash. Ive never really understood why you would pay a relocation person to find you a rental place and change your drivers license for you, its not that hard. And anyone can sign up with a job agency. You shouldnt ever be paying someone to find you a job, not even sure its legal here.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

i have 2 children to think of so thought it was a bit of security in way of not knowing anyone out there if i ran into any problems but they are emigration consultants who look after your paper work as ive been told it is easy to make mistakes and then you will lose your money and have to start the whole process all over again its hard making the best decision and knowing which way to go is best cheers karlton
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

i have 2 children to think of so thought it was a bit of security in way of not knowing anyone out there if i ran into any problems but they are emigration consultants who look after your paper work as ive been told it is easy to make mistakes and then you will lose your money and have to start the whole process all over again its hard making the best decision and knowing which way to go is best cheers karlton
About 1 in 3 use some sort of immigration consultant. They of course have a vested interest in making it all out to be more perilous and complex than perhaps it is, but everyone has a different comfort level with form filling.

Generally if you havent got a criminal record and have not been globetrotting its not too daunting, and in any case a consultant wont save you the hassle of having to gather together any required documentation and evidence anyway.

Thats kind of different to what a relocation consultant does. If someone is offering to do it all, then Id be very cautious, its hard enough to be good at any one aspect of the process, never mind multitasking.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

thanks it has given me something to think about regards karlton
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There was a recent thread in which various people had given their costs if you want to do a search - average was about £25k for a family I believe. CIC would ask you to have at least $21k in your bank account, but don't forget that's only for setting up your new life in Canada and wouldn't cover the costs to get there i.e. visa fees, medicals, IELTS exam, shipping, flights, insurances, etc, etc.

I'd also allow at least 6 months living costs just in case it takes you a while to find work, which in the current economic climate is likely. Don't pay anybody to find you work (illegal in most provinces), and do look in to what you'd need to do to work as a carpenter in Canada. Not sure if Red Seal is essential for carpenters, but a quick forum search should reveal the answer.

HTH and good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:08 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Even without using a consultant, the process will probably cost you thousands of pounds, so it adds a huge amount if you employ them as well.

Use this forum for questions and people will be able to give you all the help you need, I am sure.
Everyone's expenses will differ by such a huge amount it is impossible to tell you how much you will need for the process.

Variables include how much stuff you want to bring, pets, size and location of house you want to rent......

A 20ft container of furniture, clothes and general stuff cost us four thousand pounds.
Shipping our pets cost two thousand.

Since coming here, we have bought second hand car which cost us $4000 or so.

I have probably spent well over $2000 on additional furniture (beds, because I didn't bring any of those due to the size differences), carpet cleaner, kitchen items like crockery and electrical items (freezer, toaster, kettle etc), curtains and general house things.

There are things that you don't expect, such as deposits which Utility companies ask for because you have never had a Utility account in Canada before.

BC Hydro asked us for over $900 as deposit on our account up front before they would accept us. They keep this for a year and do return it with interest at the end of that time, but it is still a significant outlay initially.

Of course, you could pay bills as part of your rent but then you will have to do it eventually and it is a great help in building up your credit rating and it is also valuable when it comes to having an official proof of address.

There are only two of us and my husband had a good job already lined up from the UK when he arrived so we have been able to manage quite well even on just his wages while I have not been able to work, but if you need to gamble on finding a job I would make sure you have at least 6 months of living expenses and a substantial additional pot of money for the things I have mentioned above - maybe equivalent to another 6 months worth?

That is just a guess, but if you find a job quickly and don't need it at least you then have a nice little pot for a house deposit if you want to buy or whatever.
Better to be well prepared and not have to worry with he kids in tow I would say.

Just for research purposes, look at craigslist to get an idea of property rental costs and also it is a great place to pick up things you might need to begin with at a cheap price while you set yourself up with a job.

http://saskatoon.en.craigslist.ca/

Saskatoon was the closest I could find, so I hope this is useful in making some calculations.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12

A 20ft container of furniture, clothes and general stuff cost us four thousand pounds.
Shipping our pets cost two thousand.
Which companies did you use to ship your stuff and pets? Sounds very reasonable to me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.