Cost of Living

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Jaynebrads is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living

Houses, elec and gas shopping apart from cheese and beer
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:20 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaynebrads
I do apologise for my lack of punctuation but I am on a phone!! Others seemed to not have a problem!! We would be coming to Edmonton, we have just been doing price comparisons between uk and Canada and for 90% of things Canada always comes up cheaper!
Not sure where or what sites give that impression but IMHO, in general, the cost of living is cheaper in the UK than in Canada.

As others have stated, a lot depends on your lifestyle and your perceived lifestyle you think you'll have in Canada.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jaynebrads
Oh my god a little ray of sunshine wow think you need new words to describe yourself! I thought this board was about helping/giving advice? Sorry for asking questions about potentially the biggest move me and my family will ever make!!!
Don't get too dis-heartened, there are lots of optimistic folk on here too (like ME!), lol.

But there will always be people who view the glass as half empty, and think they are helping you by insulting you. I have no idea why they post such garbage, I guess they are born that way.

I have a very general view on both the cost of living, and the average salary, that no-one seems to understand but me, lol.

If you have a job in this country, and have a decent standard of living, and there is the same job in Canada, with people doing that job have a decent standard of living, then so will you.

eg, if you work in Macdonalds in the uk, then chances are you cannot afford much of a house, like-wise in Canada.
If you are a company director in the UK, you probably have a pretty nice house, so why wouldn't you have the same standard in Canada, lol

I really don't see the big deal, honestly!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:22 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Not sure where or what sites give that impression but IMHO, in general, the cost of living is cheaper in the UK than in Canada.

As others have stated, a lot depends on your lifestyle and your perceived lifestyle you think you'll have in Canada.
that's the problem right there imo. A lot of newbies really have no concept of what their lifestyle will truly be like/cost in Canada so it's a crapshoot really.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:24 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Don't get too dis-heartened, there are lots of optimistic folk on here too (like ME!), lol.

But there will always be people who view the glass as half empty, and think they are helping you by insulting you. I have no idea why they post such garbage, I guess they are born that way.

I have a very general view on both the cost of living, and the average salary, that no-one seems to understand but me, lol.

If you have a job in this country, and have a decent standard of living, and there is the same job in Canada, with people doing that job have a decent standard of living, then so will you.

eg, if you work in Macdonalds in the uk, then chances are you cannot afford much of a house, like-wise in Canada.
If you are a company director in the UK, you probably have a pretty nice house, so why wouldn't you have the same standard in Canada, lol

I really don't see the big deal, honestly!
not really. A person earning 80K in Hamilton, Ontario will have quite a different lifestyle to a person living 80K in Vancouver, BC. For a start the person in Hamilton could afford a detached home in a nice area.

Nice try though.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Houses. That's specific.

Yes they're much cheaper. Especially in West Vancouver. And the good thing is, they're all the same price, regardless of square footage or location. You'll love it.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Houses. That's specific.

Yes they're much cheaper. Especially in West Vancouver. And the good thing is, they're all the same price, regardless of square footage or location. You'll love it.
snigger.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

See what I mean, they just don't get it
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
not really. A person earning 80K in Hamilton, Ontario will have quite a different lifestyle to a person living 80K in Vancouver, BC. For a start the person in Hamilton could afford a detached home in a nice area.

Nice try though.
Agree. Making the "biggest decision of one's life" based on averages is very unwise.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:35 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt about it, the cost of an igloo depends on the area that you live in....

Ooops, I thought you were an American, sorry.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Apart from housing, petrol and hockey.. most things are way more expensive in canada.. its just some people don't want to hear this. it mars their dream... you do get used to the cost of living, but I suppose it depends where you are moving to.. some places have very little choice in things...
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:34 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
Apart from housing, petrol and hockey.. most things are way more expensive in canada.. its just some people don't want to hear this. it mars their dream... you do get used to the cost of living, but I suppose it depends where you are moving to.. some places have very little choice in things...
You may well be right and I truly do not care a whit. I'm just intrigued that, if you're correct, why do they keep coming in ever increasing numbers
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I'm just intrigued that, if you're correct, why do they keep coming in ever increasing numbers
I'm still trying to figure out which things are way more expensive? Other than bread, cheese and beer.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:26 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back Canada would have been cheaper. When it was over $2 to the pound a few years back everyone was laughing. At $1.55-1.60...not so much.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:26 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I'm still trying to figure out which things are way more expensive? Other than bread, cheese and beer.
Milk, chicken, mobile phones, TV, internet

Cheaper column includes um....soft drinks and petrol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.