Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Consumer rights

Consumer rights

Old May 16th 2013, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Consumer rights

I bought a Vtech phone 6 months ago and it has just stopped working. After a lengthy call with the nice young man at the customer services in BC he informed me that I am indeed entitled to a replacement phone.
they have discontinued my model so it will be up to Vtech to send me a comparable phone. I get no choice.
But I have to ship my old one back to them by courier or priority mail all the way from NB to BC at my own expense!!!!

And I don't even know what they will send me as a replacement.

Where is the customer service in that!

I know that it will cost a bundle to send back so do I bother......
I want to out of principle but in all reality it will probably be as cheap to go and get a similar one in a sale somewhere...

Just very cross.
I will buy my next phone at Costco because they are one of the few retailers who will deal with the customer for the duration of the warranty and exchange it at the store.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consumer rights

Originally Posted by pennyhp
I bought a Vtech phone 6 months ago and it has just stopped working. After a lengthy call with the nice young man at the customer services in BC he informed me that I am indeed entitled to a replacement phone.
they have discontinued my model so it will be up to Vtech to send me a comparable phone. I get no choice.
But I have to ship my old one back to them by courier or priority mail all the way from NB to BC at my own expense!!!!

And I don't even know what they will send me as a replacement.

Where is the customer service in that!

I know that it will cost a bundle to send back so do I bother......
I want to out of principle but in all reality it will probably be as cheap to go and get a similar one in a sale somewhere...

Just very cross.
I will buy my next phone at Costco because they are one of the few retailers who will deal with the customer for the duration of the warranty and exchange it at the store.
Where did you buy it from? I would take it back to the store and ask them about a replacement - it's under guarantee and they should be able to replace it for you.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
Where did you buy it from? I would take it back to the store and ask them about a replacement - it's under guarantee and they should be able to replace it for you.
Don't know about Canada but in the US shops such as Target only guarantee goods for 3 months. After that it is down to the consumer to take it up with the manufacturer and yes that usually means returning the item at the consumer's cost.

Thank goodness for Costco.
Old May 16th 2013, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

There aren't any- there are also no watchdogs like there are in the UK. Our hydro in Ontario is one of the most expensive in North America.
Old May 16th 2013, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
There aren't any- there are also no watchdogs like there are in the UK. Our hydro in Ontario is one of the most expensive in North America.
That's what people in this forum told me when my daughter had a problem with a Longchamp bag. It was bought as a gift and when she opened it was faulty. The store refused to refund the money or exchange it. A few weeks later she came back to the US...she took it to the Longchamp shop and got a full refund.
Old May 16th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly unlike the UK your contract is with the manufacturer not the store that sold you the product.
So they have no obligation to take anything back.
I took a kettle back to Superstore when it broke after a few months. I thought because it was their own brand (presidents choice) that they would exchange it.....WRONG!!!
Different division......

Consumer rights here are indeed non existent.

Don't get me wrong I love living in canada but this is just one aspect that drives me nuts.
Old May 16th 2013, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Page...My_Rights.aspx
Old May 16th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what people in this forum told me when my daughter had a problem with a Longchamp bag. It was bought as a gift and when she opened it was faulty. The store refused to refund the money or exchange it. A few weeks later she came back to the US...she took it to the Longchamp shop and got a full refund.
Where was the store that refused the refund and exchange? That is really not typical at all. A good reason to purchase stuff by credit card. If anyone gives me crap, I just dispute the charge with the credit card company. I have never had a credit card company fail to resolve any dispute in my favour.
Old May 16th 2013, 11:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Where was the store that refused the refund and exchange? That is really not typical at all. A good reason to purchase stuff by credit card. If anyone gives me crap, I just dispute the charge with the credit card company. I have never had a credit card company fail to resolve any dispute in my favour.
I don't know some store in Toronto. I agree about the credit card...that's what I do...put it into dispute.
Old May 17th 2013, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Can you dispute a transaction once the balance is paid? How would you raise the dispute in this case, where it is 3 months after the fact?
Old May 17th 2013, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by yzf.shaun
Can you dispute a transaction once the balance is paid?
Yes.

How would you raise the dispute in this case, where it is 3 months after the fact?
The process depends on the credit card company. For example, with my Discover Card, I can dispute a transaction online. I don't have to contact the merchant first. There is no time limit but they recommend raising the issue within 120 days of the transaction.

Other credit cards have different restrictions. For example, Capital One wants me to contact the merchant first to try to resolve the issue before getting them involved. I think the issue has to be raised within 60 days of the transaction.
Old May 17th 2013, 3:47 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Can you dispute a transaction once the balance is paid? How would you raise the dispute in this case, where it is 3 months after the fact?
Disputing a charge is for failure to provide goods or services or a fraudulent transaction. If you use your card for pre authorized charges and cancel that arrangement, if the merchant continues to charge despite your cancelling, the credit card company won't entertain a dispute, they will only try and help you get the money refunded. Last time cancelled a pre authorized, unfortunately I lost the card and had to get a replacement, so the merchant was unable to process any further transactions.

From what you say here, the transaction took place and goods were supplied, so you cannot really dispute the transaction. If the goods were not as described you may have a claim, however if it is because the goods broke, the card insurer will refer you to the manufacturer. Card warranties don't replace manufacturers warranty, they are an extension of them once they end.

I have disputed the occasional transaction and had to prove the service or goods as described were not provided. Last time took 35 pages of documentation.

There is a time limit to disputing a transaction, usually 90 days, check the t & C on your card agreement.

This is from the RBC agreement

'Problems with a Purchase
If you have problems with anything you buy using your Credit Card or your Account number, you must pay the amount owing on your Account and settle the problem directly with the store or merchant. In some circumstances, we may be able to provide assistance in resolving disputed transactions.'

there is provincial consumer protection legislation in each province, this is for BC http://www.consumerprotectionbc.ca/c...onsumer-rights. It is not a lot different from the supply of goods and services act in the UK, goods must be of fit for the purpose. If something packs up after 3 months, this is a warranty issue with the manufacturer.

If you don't like the was a store handles your complaints, shop somewhere else. And know the legislation, very helpful when dealing with complaints. I had a problem with Sears at store level, e-mail the VP of marketing at their head office on a Sunday morning, got a reply sunday afternoon, got it fixed Monday. Speak to the mechanic not the oily rag.

Last edited by Aviator; May 17th 2013 at 3:52 am.
Old May 17th 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Thanks Aviator. That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. How can you put something into dispute when you have already paid for and received the goods. Secondly as you say as well, the card warranty is only an extension of the original.

Touch wood, but I haven't had any fraudulent transactions here. I have had a few on various UK cards over the last few years and they have always been dealt with swiftly. I only hope RBC would be the same to resolve the matter here.

From my wifes (she is Canadian) own experience here it seems to be much more hassle to get the money back.
Old May 17th 2013, 12:54 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Our RBC credit card offers extended warranties on stuff purchased with it, if the manufacturers don't play ball.

We lamost had to use it n a chair we purchsed from SEARS but they cooperated in the end
Old May 17th 2013, 1:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Our RBC credit card offers extended warranties on stuff purchased with it, if the manufacturers don't play ball.

We lamost had to use it n a chair we purchsed from SEARS but they cooperated in the end
It only covers issues once the manufacturers warranty has expired. RBC will not cover anything within the manufacturers warranty period. As mentioned it is not a secondary warranty in case the supplier does not play ball, it is a benefit of the card to add up to a further 12 months to the manufacturers warranty.

There are exclusions as well, the loss insurance does not cover goods in transit. The warranty does not cover livestock or plants. No coverage for items purchased for business use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.