Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The cons of Canada??!!

The cons of Canada??!!

Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cons of Canada??!!

Originally Posted by JLT
ride a horse which I adore of which I have not ridden outside in the Winter there yet
Nor me. And I have horse.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Me too and I would strongly recommend unless you can dry off the beast indoors no-one should ride in winter.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:14 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

OMG so how am I going to get through the Winter, drunk I guess! Fell off my horse twice today so I guess that is good training for falling off on the ice bumps maybe I'll just put some extra padding around my bum and hope for the best...... and there was me thinking I could ride the trails in Vivian Forest it would be so pretty, haha, just have to go have a glass of Shiraz now...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLT
OMG so how am I going to get through the Winter, drunk I guess! Fell off my horse twice today so I guess that is good training for falling off on the ice bumps maybe I'll just put some extra padding around my bum and hope for the best...... and there was me thinking I could ride the trails in Vivian Forest it would be so pretty, haha, just have to go have a glass of Shiraz now...
Ride indoors or go to Florida/Texas/Arizona/California for the season, that's what Canadians do.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Sure.

As Stepnek says, having to put the "right clothing on" gets to be a pain in the arse when you have to do it only because you forgot to put out the dustbin when fetching the post. Putting the right clothing on children is invariably a pain in the arse but it's not even the cold so much as the months of darkness, salt and slush that are wearing.
Salt and slush, fair enough. But the darkness? Toronto (for example) is farther south than London - so during Winter doesn't that give you more daylight?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Salt and slush, fair enough. But the darkness? Toronto (for example) is farther south than London - so during Winter doesn't that give you more daylight?
Maybe. But it's dark when I get to the office, around 7 and dark when I leave, around 5, so for a couple of months I don't see natural light on weekdays. I find it's a drag. The day they put the clocks back is especially depressing as, before that there is at least some light after work.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like you have a touch of SAD.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

may i ask what the snow is like around kentville area in NS sounds like it could be fun
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
may i ask what the snow is like around kentville area in NS sounds like it could be fun
White.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Sounds like you have a touch of SAD.
I don't think there's any hint of a disorder in thinking spending twenty hours a week clearing snow in the dark gets to be a bother.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

white !!! are you really sure its white
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danny B
Doctors are pretty rare & waiting lists are long here in Kamloops, BC.

I cannot comment about the work situation as I found it pretty easy to secure a job, maybe I was just lucky?
We had no problem sorting out a doctor,actually we went to see 3 doctors at various location's and then made our choose.The only thing was all the doctors we did see were all South African,they seem to like the Island i guess.Workwise i am self employed,so cannot comment on finding a job.
Just Joined

djrobs is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought healthcare was supposed to be better in Canada than in UK?

Is it seriously a problem getting a GP?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:44 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

Ride indoors or go to Florida/Texas/Arizona/California for the season, that's what Canadians do.
Hate arenas, but thanks
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't think there's any hint of a disorder in thinking spending twenty hours a week clearing snow in the dark gets to be a bother.
Possibly an unanswerable question: With the hire/fire mentality in North America, how is it when you are faced with huge delays clearing 6ft of snow before a commute and the subsequent lateness? Are most employers understanding about this kind of thing? Or is this not an issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.