Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The cons of Canada??!!

The cons of Canada??!!

Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cons of Canada??!!

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Come on Winter's only bad for the folk who dont embrace it - if you stay indoors all winter watching TV its gonna be shite!!

Get amongst some good old fashioned Canadian winter activities like driving in white out conditions, doing dougnuts in your mustang on a parking lot and my fave trying to slide the car into the ditch at a funny angle!

Theres also something called skiing, sledding, skating and snow shoeing if the above dont tickle yer fancy.
Do you fancy being old and shovelling snow? Not for me. Thankfully Canada should give us the chance to save up and escape to warmer climes when winter really hurts... Do you want to be here forever?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Do you fancy being old and shovelling snow?
The old guy down the street seems to have no trouble shoveling. He seems to have more stamina for it than I do.

But maybe he's younger and shoveling makes him appear older.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:11 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Winter's only bad for the folk who dont embrace it - if you stay indoors all winter watching TV its gonna be shite!!

Get amongst some good old fashioned Canadian winter activities like driving in white out conditions, doing dougnuts in your mustang on a parking lot and my fave trying to slide the car into the ditch at a funny angle!

Theres also something called skiing, sledding, skating and snow shoeing if the above dont tickle yer fancy.
Or on the west coast, sledding, snowboarding, skiing, hiking, sailing, wind surfing, swimming on new years day, biking or maybe a visit to wreck beach!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:57 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Or on the west coast, sledding, snowboarding, skiing, hiking, sailing, wind surfing, swimming on new years day, biking or maybe a visit to wreck beach!
If you're going to go to Wreck Beach in the middle of winter, you're a big man than I.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:00 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
OK, more of a serious issue is that it's not a great place to be outdoors. Firstly, there's not a lot of the outdoors that's accessible by the public, there's no "right to roam". Secondly, it's often too cold to do anything outside unless you're skiing - something you can only really do in three provinces. Thirdly, if it's not snowing there are too many bugs - tonight I saw a woman tending to her vegetables in a beekeeper's outfit. Houses are big so I suppose one can say that Canada offers "The Great Indoors".
I'd say your comments are very much dependent on where you live though. I'm in city limits, yet have 100's of thousands of acres of Crown Land directly off my property to roam on. In the UK I'd have to trailer a dirt bike for hours to find anything close to compare it with, and local bridal/pathways were far more restricted.

Bugs seem almost non-existent here, perhaps due to the very dry climate. The only things I see in great number are crickets and occasionally wasps.

The whole winter weather thing restricts very little here too - I quad bike, ski, skate and trail ride right through the winter, and work outdoors year round. Sure, it's sometimes not so warm, but not unbearable. My tractor's not got an enclosed cab on it, but 3 or 4 hrs ploughing snow is easily done with the right clothing on.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:36 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you fancy being old and shovelling snow? Not for me. Thankfully Canada should give us the chance to save up and escape to warmer climes when winter really hurts... Do you want to be here forever?
YES!!!!!

My grandchildren are here and it doesn't look like they will be going anywhere any time soon.

I won't comment on the snow clearing.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:37 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bazzz
If you're going to go to Wreck Beach in the middle of winter, you're a bigger man than I.
If he does it's likely he won't be.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 16th 2008 at 4:44 am.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:54 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
YES!!!!!

My grandchildren are here and it doesn't look like they will be going anywhere any time soon.

I won't comment on the snow clearing.
Ditto. Though fortunately in my part of Canada there's not too much snow clearing! You may mock our rain, but you don't have to shovel it
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:50 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
If you're going to go to Wreck Beach in the middle of winter, you're a big man than I.
Now how would you know that?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

desertbuddy will become famous soon enoughdesertbuddy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bazzz View Post

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Now how would you know that?
Just wondering where this topic is going.....
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly don't which is why I'm very carefully thinking about just how long to stay for. I reckon being elderly here must be terrible and I really can't imagine dealing with the wintery conditions when I'm in my twilight years and breaking bones or having a heart attack while clearing more snow. Oh and the layers. Never, ever being able to just step out the house for a minute without applying layers of clothing and snow boots. Never mind being old I hate that now.

I find winters here long and oppressive and is out of everything would be my number one reason for moving back. It's great right now for the kids to enjoy the garden and run of all that excess energy but because of their young age they become prisoners of the indoors once the winter sets in and it goes on for so long here. I have no interest in winter sports and yes, I know that makes me a miserable git but neither does my Canadian wife.

From my personal perspective the winter here, at least in my neck of the woods is the biggest downside of Canada and my mindset is already dreading the onset of next winter.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I'd say your comments are very much dependent on where you live though.
Sure.

Originally Posted by R I C H
The whole winter weather thing restricts very little here too - I quad bike, ski, skate and trail ride right through the winter, and work outdoors year round. Sure, it's sometimes not so warm, but not unbearable. My tractor's not got an enclosed cab on it, but 3 or 4 hrs ploughing snow is easily done with the right clothing on.
As Stepnek says, having to put the "right clothing on" gets to be a pain in the arse when you have to do it only because you forgot to put out the dustbin when fetching the post. Putting the right clothing on children is invariably a pain in the arse but it's not even the cold so much as the months of darkness, salt and slush that are wearing.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:43 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I defo do want to be here forever, Ive been to over 300 cities in over 30 countries and the only place that compares for me is Japan but its too populated and cramped and also Spain - only speak a bit of the lingo and cant be bothered to learn the rest. Admittedly never been to Oz or NZ yet.

I wont be in ON forever but thats the beauty of Canada once OH kids have fled the nest we intend to move back to her native BC which is completely different to ON and the East coast, If we can afford it of course California would be nice but living in a 3rd world country where its hot all year is not my cup of tea.

God Bless Canada.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Get amongst some good old fashioned Canadian winter activities like driving in white out conditions,
Yep, there's lots of fun games you can play on highways in a whiteout, like:

"Find the highway exit",
"Follow the leader",
"Stop and scrape"..to name a few...

My personal favourite is "Create a new lane". Bit dangerous, but very rewarding.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:34 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Yep, there's lots of fun games you can play on highways in a whiteout, like:

"Find the highway exit",
"Follow the leader",
"Stop and scrape"..to name a few...

My personal favourite is "Create a new lane". Bit dangerous, but very rewarding.
You forgot the local favorite....

spin the car and see how many others go in the ditch before you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.