Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The cons of Canada??!!

The cons of Canada??!!

Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cons of Canada??!!

Originally Posted by diesel t dog
We are looking to move to Canada soon, and are concerned that you are saying there aren't a lot of doctors willing to take on new patients. We have a daughter that is diabetic and needs insulin injections and it is the thing that is worrying us the most about leaving the UK.

Has anyone found it difficult to transfer medical records to Canada so that they can get prescription medication over there?
You should know that most people have to pay the market prices for drugs if they don't have extended medical insurance through their work.

In BC there is Pharmacare. This is a means tested benefit that helps families that have high drug expenses, but you will still have to pay quite a bit. Not all provinces have similar schemes.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

diesel t dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply, it is something that we are trying to find out about, because like I said its our main worry. We are looking at moving to the east coast (NB) but we are going to have to look at the medical expenses side of stuff to see if it's better to move to a different area.
I am a Paramedic in the Uk, and I have heard that a Paramedic gets free medical care for the family in Canada, but this is something that I need to find out also.
Thanks again
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diesel t dog
Thanks for your reply, it is something that we are trying to find out about, because like I said its our main worry. We are looking at moving to the east coast (NB) but we are going to have to look at the medical expenses side of stuff to see if it's better to move to a different area.
I am a Paramedic in the Uk, and I have heard that a Paramedic gets free medical care for the family in Canada, but this is something that I need to find out also.
Thanks again
If you work for a Government service you usually get a very good benefits package, so hopefully things will be OK.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

diesel t dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sinurt
Well we have been here over 3 months already and although we really like the place and have made some great friends we have encountered some major issues already that it is making us question our decision about moving here.

First of all jobs - although I have a job (came on a TWP) and I love my job my husband has really struggled to find decent work. It's not like there are no jobs but it seems to be more "who you know" here rather than can u do the job. Anyway he finally got a job although it is very heavy lifting and pretty sh*t work so he is still looking out for something else .

Also having a major problem with finding doctors and the health care. There is a huge waiting list for doctors here and although there are walk in clinics for after hours they are unpredictable (one was shut last night at 8 and the other was full, despite there being 1 person in waiting room). We tried taking our 2 yr old to one last night as we really wanted a second opinion from a doctor and ended up going to the emergency room at the hospital, where we waited and waited and finally gave up as not one person had moved (one guy had been there 4 hrs already)!!!

So I was just wondering if these are common problems that people have encountered all across Canada or is it just here (Fredericton NB) ?
i havent' ever had any problems getting work. at first i worked for $10 (knowing it was short term) an hr till i got my current job. which pays well and i get great holiday time off etc.

i also got a dr within a few days of being here. rang one place they werent taking new patients but referred me to one that was. i couldnt' be happier. she is an excellent GP.

tho mind you..with a lot of health cuts happening here on the island at the moment..my job is vulnerable. if that happens and i lose it..i could be looking at working for less than half of what i earn now. so ..yeah low wages can be a problem for some. seems either you earn great money..or you don't. the prospect of earning 9-10$ on a permanent basis....makes me cringe.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

No problems with doctors or hospital waiting times here, possibly because they are geared up for large volumes of tourists but have a relatively small full time population? Whatever the reason we found doctor and dentist very easily and when we took son to A+E for something minor we were the only people there and seen within minutes.

I was sponsored to work at home by my existing employer, so didn't have to look for a job. My wife, an accountant, secured a good job very quickly but I think that was very lucky. She was expecting to have to settle for a far more junior job.

As for the months and months of winter dbd33, that is precisely the reason we came here. I skied/boarded on the 18th November and the 17th May (as well as numerous days in between).
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:36 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

So sorry to hear of your problems - and you are not alone and it's not just where you are. The work situation sounds familiar. Hubby did find a job within 6 weeks, but I am still looking and really frustrated! In my case even the "who you know" has not helped and things are at a standstill.

We are not yet eligible for healthcare, so cannot comment on finding doctors, etc.

But we are seriously considering moving back to the UK - although Toronto is not bad, it's certainly no better than London. Each place has it's own problems and highlights.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

We walked in to a docs here and got in straight away, not that we've ever needed him. The main serious con for me is still the paltry three weeks holiday.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:44 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinurt
Also as far as jobs go my OH is networking and talking to everyone and I am doing the same asking people in work if they know anyone looking for staff. I just hope now that he has some "local" experience this might help him as well. I know 3 months isn't a long time, I think we are just finding it tougher as we are still trying to sell our house back in the uk which doesn't help things financially, it is currently rented though but still the money would help a lot!!
I "worked" four part-time volunteer positions in my first three months until I found my first job. I then got a job followed by a temporary promotion before applying for the permanent promotion. I was also offered a contract position just after securing the first job. You just hae to be a bit creative and stick with it until you get where you want to be. I know some people who have had to make a complete career change to "live the dream". I guess it depends what your dream is.

Good luck.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Weather. Darkness. Months and months of winter.
But at least it's dry most of the time!!!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
But at least it's dry most of the time!!!
OK, more of a serious issue is that it's not a great place to be outdoors. Firstly, there's not a lot of the outdoors that's accessible by the public, there's no "right to roam". Secondly, it's often too cold to do anything outside unless you're skiing - something you can only really do in three provinces. Thirdly, if it's not snowing there are too many bugs - tonight I saw a woman tending to her vegetables in a beekeeper's outfit. Houses are big so I suppose one can say that Canada offers "The Great Indoors".
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

OK, more of a serious issue is that it's not a great place to be outdoors. Firstly, there's not a lot of the outdoors that's accessible by the public, there's no "right to roam". Secondly, it's often too cold to do anything outside unless you're skiing - something you can only really do in three provinces. Thirdly, if it's not snowing there are too many bugs - tonight I saw a woman tending to her vegetables in a beekeeper's outfit. Houses are big so I suppose one can say that Canada offers "The Great Indoors".
Around our way there's plenty of Provincial Parks to go cross country skiing, snowshoeing, skidooing, etc. and then there's always the Trans Canada Trail at http://www.tctrail.ca/home.php
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

I wouldnt worry too much about the doctor issue as previous posts suggest .
Ask everyone you meet when networking with new friends or at school who is accepting new patients, the walk in clinics here in Halifax pick up the overflow from the emergency room , we still have notices at clinics advising families that they are taking on new patients.
If anyone coming to Halifax NS needs help finding a Dr please let me know and I'll put the word out to the several families that have arrived recently.

By the way dont forget to find a dentist too as we found out that there in no emergency dentist on call at the hospital emercency dept...
JS
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSHalifax
...we still have notices at clinics advising families that they are taking on new patients.
That might not be what it seems though. I saw a sign that said exactly that. On asking, it turned out they meant new patients in their 'walk-in' service.

It's worth googling certain 'words within' like "doctor" "new patients" (your city) etc.

Their may be other resources revealed such as a university helping new students. Unfortunately the Uni here was saying they know of no doctors taking new patients in Moncton but if there were some, no doubt they'd have been listed.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 16th 2008 at 2:38 am.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:38 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Weather. Darkness. Months and months of winter.
Come on Winter's only bad for the folk who dont embrace it - if you stay indoors all winter watching TV its gonna be shite!!

Get amongst some good old fashioned Canadian winter activities like driving in white out conditions, doing dougnuts in your mustang on a parking lot and my fave trying to slide the car into the ditch at a funny angle!

Theres also something called skiing, sledding, skating and snow shoeing if the above dont tickle yer fancy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.